Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

cup holders for those on the back bench seat?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:06 am    Post subject: cup holders for those on the back bench seat? Reply with quote

I'm hauling 4 of us today up into San Francisco today and I just realized that I'll be getting STINK EYE from those who will be sitting in the back for there's no place for them to place their drink. Maybe if I don't look into the rear view mirror, there won't be an issue? LOL Maybe I should sit back there and let the wife man the wheel house.

But seriously, what type of coffee cup holder, water bottle holder have you folks created for the rear bench seat dwellers?

Any ideas for the front seats cup holders? I have something set up but it's too cheesy and flimsy.

Craig

Last edited by cmayna on Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:31 am; edited 1 time in total
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: cup holders for those on the back bench seat? Reply with quote

Front seats?

Many options are posted on here but if I had a "do over card" I would do the CJ option......

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=623516

I installed a center console from a Dodge minivan, but that's no good if you want the walking space.

Other ideas...... Follow the link below..... Scroll down to cupholders....

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6236057#6236057

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: cup holders for those on the back bench seat? Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I meant front seats cup holder and corrected my original post. The CJ method for the front is very stout indeed. Something for me to consider.

Craig
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: cup holders for those on the back bench seat? Reply with quote

I usually like to just let the bench dwellers suffer, but I did just pick up some of these clip on cup holders from restoration hardware for cheap (I'm not used to saying "restoration hardware" and "cheap" in the same sentence): https://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod7430063

It's not the best option, but it's cheap.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: cup holders for those on the back bench seat? Reply with quote

cmayna wrote:
But seriously, what type of coffee cup holder, water bottle holder have you folks created for the rear bench seat dwellers?

I had been using this (cheap things you can find just about anywhere):

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I used a heat gun and 3/4" plywood to reshape the L "bracket" to fit the Westy seat board.

After the second one broke due to inattention on my part Embarassed , I switched to using my Cabriolet's long-unused, non-slip cup holder that sits on the floor (or on a table):

Twenty years later, I just saw that it's still available(!): http://www.amazon.com/Bell-CO51-Octopus-Cup-Holder/dp/B000FW2MC2 . Surprised
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: cup holders for those on the back bench seat? Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
cmayna wrote:

I had been using this (cheap things you can find just about anywhere):

I used a heat gun and 3/4" plywood to reshape the L "bracket" to fit the Westy seat board.

After the second one broke due to inattention on my part Embarassed , I switched to using my Cabriolet's long-unused, non-slip cup holder that sits on the floor (or on a table):

Twenty years later, I just saw that it's still available(!): http://www.amazon.com/Bell-CO51-Octopus-Cup-Holder/dp/B000FW2MC2 . Surprised

OMG! I have a dozen or so of those cheap holders per your first pic. In fact, those are what I'm using up front and just don't like them. Too flimsy. But for the rear and based upon how often we will be having anyone sitting back there........Maybe they will do the job for now.

Craig
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: cup holders for those on the back bench seat? Reply with quote

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
narendra.vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: cup holders for those on the back bench seat? Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:

The Cup holder seams be strong & a good quality product.
Any link. Thanks.
T3 Pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: cup holders for those on the back bench seat? Reply with quote

http://www.ultimatecupholders.com/fischercupholder.html

He only has black. I have pulled these out of the back of MB station wagons at the recyclers, they were light tan/brown. Excellent cup holder.

The most important part in every vehicle is the nut behind the wheel......
slackin' at work
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: cup holders for those on the back bench seat? Reply with quote

Ive always wanted to place a few of these MK4 retractable cup holders around the interior.

they seem simple to install and keeping it VW a plus.

http://www.amazon.com/Front-Holder-Volkswagen-Jetta-99-04/dp/B00KJWW7GO
`84 MK1 GTI
`76 Brasilia
Mac_Daddy_Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: cup holders for those on the back bench seat? Reply with quote

here's what I did as a NON-Permanent cup hold near the rear bench. Pics are self explanatory. Cheap and easy idea, so far it's working well. This is a follow up on my previous project of mounting the rear table. The table leg is stow in the rear closet for now, I'll have to figure out another idea of where the best place to store the rear table leg. Provide ideas if you have.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: cup holders for those on the back bench seat? Reply with quote

Boxer, ingenious ! That's cool. Is there something that keeps people from being decapitated in the even of an accident ?

I use the same as Kam's set up one for each kid. For the fronts I modified the 2002-2006 CR-V fold down tray, works great. It doesn't fold flat 100% however unless you want to impede the swivel of your seat ...
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: cup holders for those on the back bench seat? Reply with quote

On my Westy I removed the hand strap from the driver side C pillar and put a Fischer cup holder there. That has been very popular.

For the passenger side, I don't have anything... except the bottle opener is bolted to the wall on that side. I guess opening a beer is a team effort for the two rear passengers. Encourage cooperation!

When I look at the list of improvements made over time, it really is baffling how plain and featureless the original rear bench was. I've done everything I can to improve the rear bench seat:

1. sliding rear windows on both sides (much loved by all--gives them something to control).

2. rear bench headrests (this is just common sense).

3. cup holder on the driver side C pillar.

4. switched LED lighting and USB ports.

5. remove the rear air conditioning, creating headroom (SmallCar front AC).

6. small fan to move air around, mounted under spice rack.

7. a US road map and plexiglas document window above the rear bench for following progress and keeping notes, photos, etc.

8. ham radio and dual time zone clock mounted on the galley rear bulkhead.

9. webbing pockets on the closet wall and on the bench kickplate for holding reading material, shoes, etc.

10. webbing pockets under the (now higher) overhead cabinet (where the AC used to be) for jackets, etc.

Here I am enjoying some of those improvements.

kourt

Mac_Daddy_Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: cup holders for those on the back bench seat? Reply with quote

metropoj wrote:
Boxer, ingenious ! That's cool. Is there something that keeps people from being decapitated in the even of an accident ?

I use the same as Kam's set up one for each kid. For the fronts I modified the 2002-2006 CR-V fold down tray, works great. It doesn't fold flat 100% however unless you want to impede the swivel of your seat ...

Hello Metropoj (John),

there's a couple of remedy to secure the rear table mounted overhead, if you look closely at the rails, there's already an existing hole I drilled and I can drill a hole through the table and secure with a bolt. However, the table is pretty snug and doesn't slide out that easily. I have tried several time slamming on the breaks to see if the table slide out and it doesn't move. But to be safe, I will prolly drill that hole on the table to secure with a bolt.
Mac_Daddy_Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: cup holders for those on the back bench seat? Reply with quote

here's my center cup holder console. It's from an old minivan, either a toyota sienna or honda odyssey....forgot which year. I picked up from Junk yard while back in colorado springs. again, picks are self explainatory.

cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: cup holders for those on the back bench seat? Reply with quote

The bottom pic (above) sure makes the location of the rearward cup holders look pretty far forward. Can't imagine anyone sitting on the rear bench, being able to easily put their drink in these cupholders. Maybe I'm missing something.......

Craig
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: cup holders for those on the back bench seat? Reply with quote

Boxer Rebellion wrote:
However, the table is pretty snug and doesn't slide out that easily. I have tried several time slamming on the breaks to see if the table slide out and it doesn't move. But to be safe, I will prolly drill that hole on the table to secure with a bolt.

Please do that.

This is what you want to use as a test case. Hard braking does not even come close to this.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: