Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westy Roof Rack Clamps
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattlisa15
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject: Westy Roof Rack Clamps Reply with quote

Aloha all, I have been looking everywhere for someone that sells these clamps for my Westy Roof Rack. On all of the normal retail websites (GoWesty, EIS, Busdepot, etc) they have clamps but not the ones that match what I need. Here are pictures of the front and back and I appreciate any leads someone can provide so that I can buy a new set. Thanks!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Roof Rack Clamps Reply with quote

I imagine those could be made very easily. Do they clamp on to the gutter or fiberglass?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Roof Rack Clamps Reply with quote

Seems you aren't the only one http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?...ton=Search , perhaps a dig around the split bus forums may offer a solution.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
mattlisa15
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Roof Rack Clamps Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Seems you aren't the only one http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?...ton=Search , perhaps a dig around the split bus forums may offer a solution.

Mahalo busdaddy. It may be time to learn some metal working skills.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Roof Rack Clamps Reply with quote

Thank goodness the classifieds search is still working.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1539345

YLVW
Tcash
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Roof Rack Clamps Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
Thank goodness the classifieds search is still working.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1539345

YLVW
Tcash

Direct link

https://www.aircooledaccessories.com/Westfalia_Roofracks_Luggage_Racks?product_id=95
vworwhat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Roof Rack Clamps Reply with quote

Unfortunately those stainless steel clamps look crap on galvanized original westy roof racks, they work only for the deep shine repop models. I was forced to buy those too, only because I wanted to use my OG rack while looking for something worth while.
Apparently it is impossible to locate original ones, but surely there must be somebody around doing better copies than those?!? I too would be very grateful for any links to any proper copies

Type3 9/63 1500N M264 panel
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Roof Rack Clamps Reply with quote

See if this will work on stainless?
Cold Galvanizing Compound
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-Professional.../100142963
vworwhat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: Westy Roof Rack Clamps Reply with quote

Apparently it is not possible to galvanize stainless steel, but maybe the paint can hold to it.
I have never used galvanizing spray. Does it give the same flakey look as proper galvanizing or is it more like ordinary zinc spray?
But it is not only trouble with these clumsy and chapeless buggers. Just look at them Wink. Are there really no better copies around than those?
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Westy Roof Rack Clamps Reply with quote

vworwhat wrote:
Apparently it is not possible to galvanize stainless steel, but maybe the paint can hold to it.
I have never used galvanizing spray. Does it give the same flakey look as proper galvanizing or is it more like ordinary zinc spray?
But it is not only trouble with these clumsy and chapeless buggers. Just look at them Wink. Are there really no better copies around than those?

I would rather paint a gray or powder coat gray than spray fake galvy on. Are you sure stainless cant be galvanized? I just read that "if" the stainless can be zinc coated - dependent on the stainless, then galvy can be done.

I have a large fantasy Westy repop rack, and its all stainless. I love the rack but that shinny stainless seems very out of place to me. Not sure how I will go.

Think

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vworwhat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Westy Roof Rack Clamps Reply with quote

I asked a stainless steel welder last season, when I just had bought these miserable clamps, whether I could get them galvanised. He said no chance. Would be great, if he was wrong. Dull grey ordinary paint could be an alternativ, and agreed, ordinary zinc spray doesn't look too good. But what is this cold galvanizing stuff? How is the finish with that, does it really look galvanised?
VWDog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Roof Rack Clamps Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Are you sure stainless cant be galvanized?

Being so far apart on the galvanic scale, I don't see how it would even be remotely possible for that to happen… and last.

http://corrosion-doctors.org/Definitions/galvanic-series.htm

I know it is not a good idea to put dissimilar(i.e. far apart on the scale) metals in close proximity(physically) when immersed in salt water, i.e. stainless and galvanized fasteners. By the website info it looks like being outside and potentially bonded together wouldn't be a good idea either.

Couldn't you just get some made up from mild steel and get them galvanized? I used to get boat parts done that way, but admittedly haven't done it some time and the facilities might not exist to the same extent now. Ditch the whole idea of getting zinc to stick to stainless…that is why stainless was developed, so it didn't need a coating.

1970 Lotus White Single Cab 2015- , 1979 Sage Green 2014-2015, 1978 Dakota Beige Westy 2012-2015, 1978 Neptune Blue Riviera 2012-2017 , 1970 Neptune Blue Bus 2010-2012, 1970 Deluxe Savannah Beige 2010-2012, 1985 Iltis 2010- , 1962 Single Cab 2010-2013, 1975 Brasilia? Bay/Split Kombi from Brazil 2008-2011, 1985 DoKa 1999-2009, 1971 Bus 1999-2000, 1968 Double Cab 1991-1998, 1965 Ghia 1987-1991, 1970 Westfalia-bought by Mum and Dad in 1970, sold by me in 1993 why-oh-why :_(
vworwhat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Roof Rack Clamps Reply with quote

Kieft en Klok in Holland is doing some repops now, that are a little better. Far from perfect, but def much better than the other ones ...

http://www.kieftenklok.nl/shop/index.php/en/homepa...oot-detail
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Roof Rack Clamps Reply with quote

I could be completely wrong but I have yet to hear of or find anyone who can do galvanizing like they did back when these parts were made. My understanding is that it is a completely different process then "dip" galvanizing which yields absolute crap results. My friend Jon aka EcheBus went through this and was VERY dissatisfied with the results. The original "fish scale" look that we all are trying to achieve does not exist now a days. If someone knows where to have this process correctly done I would love to hear where because I have an Essen trailer that I want to bring back to its original condition. You can paint stainless....it just needs to be etched. There are lots of "galvanized" look paints out there. They are basically a dull grey maybe with zinc metal flake in them. At least it will look better then the stainless. And being that the rack sits up high it will be less noticeable. Hope this helps.
zerothehero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Roof Rack Clamps Reply with quote

Maybe try sitting one of the shiny bits in some phosphoric?

POR's metal ready can leave mild steel looking a bit like a galvo finish. Maybe it would etch the stainless enough to dull down the appearance.
1979 Devon Moonraker 1600 twin port
1978 Oz Microbus 2000 FI Auto
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Roof Rack Clamps Reply with quote

If the pics you posted are the original clamps and you
have them....get them plastic bead blasted to remove the oxidation. Coat them with "Glisten PC" which is a POR product that comes in spray bomb. Otherwise I would just paint them. Etch them with phosphoric acid....Metal ready is good. I like Jenolite because there is no rinsing involved. Just get them really clean....etch them and paint them. If the corrosion is minimal like the pic you posted. Plastic bead blast them and coat them. Original is always better then repops.
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Roof Rack Clamps Reply with quote

I got these westy rack pieces today and I guess they are for bay buses. The guy I was visiting let me into a small building when I saw these standing there and he said they are for a bus so I grabbed them. Do you folks think these are westy pieces or some off brand?

1961 Swivel Seat camper, L345 grey
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Swivel Seat panels are for people with no friends Crying or Very sad
vworwhat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Roof Rack Clamps Reply with quote

They sure look like OG westy parts. Judged by the clamps thoseshould be for a late split rack. Give me a shout, if you consider selling them Wink ...
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Roof Rack Clamps Reply with quote

The Westy Rack thread from the Split Bus FAQ shows those as 68-up clamps
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Roof Rack Clamps Reply with quote

There is someone selling a bunch of original clamps on this site. I saw them yesterday. If I remember they were NOS....maybe not. But to the OP search "Bus NOS" in the bay window parts. I think that's how I found them. I would try to find them again but I am busy searching for other Samba members for other parts. Hope this helps.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: