Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Just got a Project, un-expectedly. where to start????
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
greanie2011
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Just got a Project, un-expectedly. where to start???? Reply with quote

Hello all . . . . I have been a member for some time (Since my first VW Bus purchase back in . . . 2015 i think) and havent posted much. I found most of what i needed in the "Archives" here on the forum so kept pretty much to my self with all the information here it was just a matter of piecing it together.

Well now i have done it . .. . i got a project that i have no idea where to start, or where i want to go (I have some ideas but need to make sure all the pieces will fit together).

1966 Panel Bus .. . Rust is considerable, but its mostly all straight and there. Except the Front End!!! Appears to have been in a front end collision at some point in its recent past.

The Dilemna:
What metal do i need to get started? (Or do i even start with the Metal)

The Goal (or Goal#1): is to have a complete bus, meaning put this front end back on .. . if i decide to sell in the future due to whatever life issues come up (Or to fund another project) i think a whole bus will sell better than part of a bus.

I also feel this is the biggest and most time consuming portion of this whole project, so i kinda want to start chipping away at it first.

I want to start a list of stuff i need to start buying for this thing . . .Please Help!

(My bus Knowledge and History - I currently own a '70 Bay Westy, was not running or driving when i purchased it and the interior was all shot . .. Its now Mostly Driveable and the interior looks amazing. i did brakes and engine work mostly myself and the interior with some minor assistance. I have also had other project vehicles that were not far from running with a little bit of elbow grease . . but nothing to this extent.)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
BerylGreen63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Just got a Project, un-expectedly. where to start???? Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2084235

I would start with something like this to give you a good head start. I hope you are good with a welder and measuring.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Just got a Project, un-expectedly. where to start???? Reply with quote

You need everything in a donor section from just behind "B" pillars forward if someone is doing a quick chop up. With or without the bulkhead panel is fine.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Just got a Project, un-expectedly. where to start???? Reply with quote

BerylGreen63 wrote:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2084235

I would start with something like this to give you a good head start. I hope you are good with a welder and measuring.

Those just do not go back far enough frame is bent all up at least to the front beam.

To the OP, will need to inspect the frame very carefully around and behind the front beam to see if frame was buckled....
AndrewS85
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Just got a Project, un-expectedly. where to start???? Reply with quote

Check this out

http://oneelevenwebdesign.com/vw-bus/
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: Just got a Project, un-expectedly. where to start???? Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
You need everything in a donor section from just behind "B" pillars forward if someone is doing a quick chop up. With or without the bulkhead panel is fine.

X2. B-Pillar forward. Preferable with the B-pillar attached still, but that could be negotiable depending on the amount of frame damage.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
greanie2011
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: Just got a Project, un-expectedly. where to start???? Reply with quote

So i had a quick look (It was Dark out so i didnt take any pictures yet) and i cant see any other frame damage than what is obvious (But my eyes are not Laser straight either).

Should i take this to a "Collision" body shop and have them do the front end?

I wonder if i can find enough NEW parts . . . instead of finding a Donor front end. It took me long enough to find a bus i could afford and thats why i ended up with one in this condition .. . No telling how long it would take to find a Donor .. . Unless someone knows where one is in central texas.

Thanks for the Help .. More pictures to come soon.

edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Just got a Project, un-expectedly. where to start???? Reply with quote

Looks like a good candidate to make a stretch limo bus.

I hate to say it but If you're paying someone to repair that you would probably be better off finding one in better condition.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Just got a Project, un-expectedly. where to start???? Reply with quote

edgood1 wrote:

I hate to say it but If you're paying someone to repair that you would probably be better off finding one in better condition.

Ditto! Also all new parts are going to cost another pretty penny.

Just keep looking thru the new posted classified ads twice a day, and post a "WTB" ad of what you need.

Buy a Miller or Lincoln wire feed welder and start learning how to melt metal together.
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Just got a Project, un-expectedly. where to start???? Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
edgood1 wrote:

Ditto! Also all new parts are going to cost another pretty penny.

Just keep looking thru the new posted classified ads twice a day, and post a "WTB" ad of what you need.

Buy a Miller or Lincoln wire feed welder and start learning how to melt metal together.

If you go with the latter and decide to do the work yourself, realize others before have done more with much less. But, they did most, if not all of the work themselves. And are still in the process if you look at some of the current threads. Cheaper, I assume, then paying someone, but you'll need them skills, man! Or learn them along the way. Just don't weld anything permanently, until you know it fits belongs there haha.

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Just got a Project, un-expectedly. where to start???? Reply with quote

greanie2011 wrote:

OVP!

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Just got a Project, un-expectedly. where to start???? Reply with quote

greanie2011 wrote:

Should i take this to a "Collision" body shop and have them do the front end?

Taking it to a frame shop would be better, and have them measure it all to see if the frame needs to be pulled out straight, or of course you can use the workshop manual diagrams to measure it yourself.
romegadave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Just got a Project, un-expectedly. where to start???? Reply with quote

Good luck on the project!
greanie2011
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Just got a Project, un-expectedly. where to start???? Reply with quote

So at this point i have no idea on what it will cost if i take it to a body shop to do some of the "Larger" work for me.

Im not afraid to get my hands dirty on a portion of this project. But i have learned through life that sometimes its best to pay a professional to do a Job . . .and im curious if this is one of those Jobs where i need to consult and hire a Professional.

Panels and other things are not too scary for me . . . Ill learn to weld and so forth on those cut and paste projects. But the WHOLE FRONT END . . . kinda scary.

Also . . . Value on this bus . . .i feel like i could put alot of money into this bus and it will probably be worth alot of that money still.
Looking at Split-Panel Buses and i see prices still north of what im projecting this thing to cost in repairs . . . Hopefully
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Just got a Project, un-expectedly. where to start???? Reply with quote

And how are you projecting those costs ? Buying & having someone put that front clip on could cost you $10K......
You might be able to find a Bus that has been rear ended, cut the front off & graft it onto your Bus, but to pay someone to do it would be co$tly, can you weld ? Or do you have a line on the front end ??
I cut up a toasted Singlecab last Fall, the roof went to Cali,. the truck bed to N.J., still have the nose, not enough for what you need, but someone has those parts out there...

20 + years in the woods, not much left........ Sad

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Just got a Project, un-expectedly. where to start???? Reply with quote

crukab wrote:
And how are you projecting those costs ? Buying & having someone put that front clip on could cost you $10K......
You might be able to find a Bus that has been rear ended, cut the front off & graft it onto your Bus, but to pay someone to do it would be co$tly, can you weld ? Or do you have a line on the front end ??
I cut up a toasted Singlecab last Fall, the roof went to Cali,. the truck bed to N.J., still have the nose, not enough for what you need, but someone has those parts out there...

20 + years in the woods, not much left........ Sad

I imagine Taps playing when I see an old truck in that state...or worse. Always cool to see/hear when they still find new life and purpose in keeping another bus in service.

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Just got a Project, un-expectedly. where to start???? Reply with quote

For much much less than it would take to start to finish that Frankenstein, you could have another 1966 fat signal panel already done. And it’s a double door

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2191687
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Just got a Project, un-expectedly. where to start???? Reply with quote

62DoKaGuy wrote:

I imagine Taps playing when I see an old truck in that state...or worse. Always cool to see/hear when they still find new life and purpose in keeping another bus in service.

It was more about getting it out of there, I was sure it was a slice and dice when I looked at it 6 years before, so far the parts are helping 2 guys get there Trucks on the road, and I broke even, had a great day w/ a Bus hunting Bud, and thats good enough for me.

Not much went to the Dump.

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
greanie2011
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Just got a Project, un-expectedly. where to start???? Reply with quote

Im keeping my hopes up that i can put this bus together and bring another Split back to life . . .someone has to do it. Laughing
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Just got a Project, un-expectedly. where to start???? Reply with quote

greanie2011 wrote:
Im keeping my hopes up that i can put this bus together and bring another Split back to life . . .someone has to do it. Laughing

Hear, hear!

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: