Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear upper cabinet for the Multivan
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
eurodub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:09 am    Post subject: Rear upper cabinet for the Multivan Reply with quote

Hello guys
i just acquired a 1989 multivan in nice preserved condition, to which i am thinking of applying a more weekender-ish appeal.

i am considering of building a cabinet for the cargo area behind the passenger side front seat to include fridge, cooking stove and some drawers. this is the simple one.

now, i want to add a rear upper cabinet , the so-called headbanger. i would love to have it there so i can keep some blankets, pillows and things needed for camping. my bus has the perforated vinyl headliner in great shape, and i don't want to drill any holes in it. is there a way of attaching the rear headbanger without drilling holes in the headliner? i can build a custom one with oval access door and such, the only thing is how to attach it.

i know westfalia has a different roof so it hooks up with some hooks and nuts.

a picture would really help

Thank you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Rear upper cabinet for the Multivan Reply with quote

If you want Westy photos I can get you some. Let me know which angles.
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Rear upper cabinet for the Multivan Reply with quote

Look for a Westfalia Mosaik installation instruction manual.

The mosaik kit was sold for regular vans to be converted to a westfalia in Europe and IIRC had headbangers that matched the curved roof.
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Rear upper cabinet for the Multivan Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.t3-infos.de/t3-infos_f.html
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Rear upper cabinet for the Multivan Reply with quote

This was recently asked....

Can't find the post but here are the dimensions I gave......
Hope these help in some way.....

Add these to this these dimensions in another thread.....

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6964149#6964149

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eurodub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Rear upper cabinet for the Multivan Reply with quote

thank you guys but i was thinking of building something like this from one side to the other..

mrcool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear upper cabinet for the Multivan Reply with quote

Word of caution, these are called head bangers for a good reason. Laughing
But I understand the appeal of more storage
eurodub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:14 am    Post subject: Re: Rear upper cabinet for the Multivan Reply with quote

i was thinking of drilling 2 or 3 holes on each side under the side glass rubber and rivet 2 strong stainless steel plates which will support the front of the cabinet. the rear should be mounted in the back with 2 clamps of some sort or bolts to the seal frame. either way , the plywood for the cabinet should be light to reduce weight to maximum. Very Happy
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: Rear upper cabinet for the Multivan Reply with quote

Maybe you'll find this link helpful?

It's in German but it has a lot of ideas and how to type info.......

https://shufti.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/westy1.pdf

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
eurodub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: Rear upper cabinet for the Multivan Reply with quote

thank you for the pdf. it sure gives a lot of useful measurements and info.

the downside is i don't want to use a side cabinet like in the westfalia, as i have a full width bed with the original cushion in place. i am planing a cabinet that is smaller in height than the one i pictured, as to avoid using always the headbanger term when referring to that upper cabinet Laughing

so far i am pleased with the storage under front seats, under rear bench and under the rear passenger seat, just need a space to keep the bed things and still have good visibility in the center rear view mirror. the syncro/LT side mirrors are more than enough for normal use.

So far i am caught up in other things, i will update info here with measurements and info once i get to it.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear upper cabinet for the Multivan Reply with quote

Whatever happened here? I'm interested in possibly building or sourcing a headbanger cabinet while still utilizing the full width bed and am curious to see what others have done.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: