Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

power utility panel - repurposing of Dometic fridge vent
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chase4food
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:05 am    Post subject: power utility panel - repurposing of Dometic fridge vent Reply with quote

The conversion to a DC fridge frees up a lot of opportunity for enhancements. For the Swiss Army Knife of all campers every cubic centimeter in the Westfalia Vanagon is precious, and a lot of thought should be devoted before deciding what to do with these scarce resources. What to do with the air vent for the Dometic fridge? I know some will argue to keep it for the DC fridge as the efficiency of the compressor fridge hinges significantly on the well cooled compressor and the condenser coil. I decided that I am comfortable with the amount of vent holes along the back of the kitchenette cabinet. I also paid special attention to provide adequate ventilation thru natural convection when installing the new fridge.

I had long created an electrical panel that is mounted on the passenger side B pillar fabricated with a electronic project box - that also has a rocker switch to control the factory doom light. That location was ideal (without butchering the Westfalia interior) at the time before mobile devices.

old power utility panel - 2 ports for house battery and 2 ports for starting battery
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

the Dometic fridge vent grill

i found these great and cheap Chinese made 12V power receptacles with USB insert

before proceeding I measured the quiescent current draw of the 5V USB module - 16mA is good in my book

they also passed my 12V plug insert and retention force test

Insert and retention force of the 12V receptacle is one very important attribute for me as there is nothing more annoying than a plug gradually work itself loose.

with some careful dimensional planning I decided that there is room for 2 receptacles and one switch on the top half of the panel

I hand cut the hole for the rocker switch first

then the two holes for the receptacles

the rocker switch is controls the power to the DC fridge - allow easy switching off the fridge without having to fuss with the temperature dial inside

I repurposed the Dometic fridge's burner-on indicator on the Westfalia status panel - the blue LED illuminates when power is present to the DC fridge

here I use a different USB insert with illumination on the inner receptacle

a different cheery color for each day

One important goal that I always try to achieve is no new holes or butchering into the vehicle. It is not always possible but often I succeed with a lot of thinking. As to the fate of the old power utility panel by the sliding door, I already have plan for it while retaining the existing useful features - the doom light override with LED locator in pitch dark. That will be another project.

what Isolde wants Isolde doesn't always get, 4 I know what is best for her - Liebe macht frei

Last edited by chase4food on Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:10 am; edited 2 times in total
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: power utility panel - repurposing of Dometic fridge vent Reply with quote

Sweet love it, link to cig receptacle?
chase4food
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: power utility panel - repurposing of Dometic fridge vent Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Sweet love it, link to cig receptacle?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YOLXUNU?psc=1&...ge_o06_s00

what Isolde wants Isolde doesn't always get, 4 I know what is best for her - Liebe macht frei
icolquhoun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: power utility panel - repurposing of Dometic fridge vent Reply with quote

Awesome work!

I've been scratching my head as to where to mount some USB power plugs and was going to go with the stock 110v outlet, but with dogs occupying the lower areas of the van, I like your location much better!
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: power utility panel - repurposing of Dometic fridge vent Reply with quote

I call overkill on the test-bench power supply and you don't own a hole saw or hole punch??
chase4food
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: power utility panel - repurposing of Dometic fridge vent Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
I call overkill on the test-bench power supply and you don't own a hole saw or hole punch??

Nop! you can never find just the right size of either. Hand cutting and filing builds character.

Bench PSU is free garbage found from work.

I been called by my friends as the man that has all the tools known to men, but the truth is you can never have enough tools.

dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: power utility panel - repurposing of Dometic fridge vent Reply with quote

chase4food wrote:

I been called by my friends as the man that has all the tools known to men, but the truth is you can never have enough tools.

Here you go. Very Happy

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=410934&highlight=luxury

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: power utility panel - repurposing of Dometic fridge vent Reply with quote

Um.
Under $10 at GoWesty. No drilling required. 10% off today (just $9).
http://www.gowesty.com/product-details.php?v=&id=24356

Just a regular guy
chase4food
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: power utility panel - repurposing of Dometic fridge vent Reply with quote

otiswesty wrote:
Um.
Under $10 at GoWesty. No drilling required. 10% off today (just $9).
http://www.gowesty.com/product-details.php?v=&id=24356

I took advantage today also and bought $100 of stuff. That panel from them is very fairly priced if it meets your needs. In my case the rocker switch is a must have function.

DwarfVader
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: power utility panel - repurposing of Dometic fridge vent Reply with quote

I'm curious about the power utility panel shown in the first photo...

It looks like a mult box, just with the XLR plugs and all... never personally seen a electrical utility panel that uses XLR.

I'll find my van someday, or it will find me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
chase4food
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: power utility panel - repurposing of Dometic fridge vent Reply with quote

You are exactly right they are XLRs. I bought a bunch of plugs and receptacles cheap at surplus. Reason is I cannot stand automotive cigarette sockets like one in the Vanagon which the plug keep pushing itself out. This was done circa 20 years ago before the advent of mobile. The XLR plugs has a push to release latch so no accident disconnect.

Nowadays we can find 12Vdc receptacles that holds the plug relatively securely.

chase4food
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: power utility panel - repurposing of Dometic fridge vent Reply with quote

When I designed this, one function is to allow me to hook up a tiny Honda generator to charge either bank of batteries. Or to connect a charger to keep the batteries maintain while stored at home.

The toggle switch allows me to switch on/off the dome light with the sliding door open. It is just taps into the pin switch of the sliding door, though a diode logic - hence saving me having to run a wire all the way to the dome light. The green LED illuminates if the toggle switch is set to off so you can find the rocker switch in pitch dark. It just happened with the diode logic the LED extinguishes when the dome light is switched on.

DwarfVader
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: power utility panel - repurposing of Dometic fridge vent Reply with quote

chase4food wrote:
You are exactly right they are XLRs. I bought a bunch of plugs and receptacles cheap at surplus. Reason is I cannot stand automotive cigarette sockets like one in the Vanagon which the plug keep pushing itself out. This was done circa 20 years ago before the advent of mobile. The XLR plugs has a push to release latch so no accident disconnect.

Nowadays we can find 12Vdc receptacles that holds the plug relatively securely.

I like the idea for the purpose, esp given how horrid 12v plugs use to be compared to latching XLR plugs which can totally handle 12v easily. (I work in local television, so we use XLR for some rather weird power options sometimes.)

Never considered it for automotive... I'd probably still rock a handful of 12v outlets, but for devices that would generally not move a lot, I like the idea of using XLR for a better firm connection point. More so than wiring things like lights and fans that aren't hard mounted down, but rather can be unplugged and stowed when necessary...

I dig it.

I'll find my van someday, or it will find me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: