Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Window regulator cleaning and lubrication (Manual)
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
86scotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Window regulator cleaning and lubrication (Manual) Reply with quote

Dave, you didn't really say how much of a difference it made. Night and day? Worth it over just lubing what you can see or otherwise?

My to-do list is long. This looks like an entire 12 pack worth of work. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Window regulator cleaning and lubrication (Manual) Reply with quote

Yes, it made a big difference.
I also put new window rubber in so the entire driving experience has improved.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
86scotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Window regulator cleaning and lubrication (Manual) Reply with quote

Thanks!
WLD*WSTY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Window regulator cleaning and lubrication Reply with quote

Chuey wrote:
Recently, the passenger door started making a pretty loud clicking (ratcheting) type sound at the top of the travel. That is, when the window is being raised or lowered, near the top.

A late reply, but I just had the same problem occur. The plastic extension tube had developed a small kink about three inches from the outer end. A heat gun took the kink out and the ratcheting disappeared.
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Window regulator cleaning and lubrication (Manual) Reply with quote

Passenger door regulator has popped out of the track for the second time in a month - time to go deeper.

Following Dave's excellent instructions, I have the regulator out. The issue appears to be the square block is missing the tiny guides on one side. I'm also missing one of the plastic guides that runs along the rail. I believe I can make both of these items and possibly a bit heartier than the stock ones.
My issue right now is trying to remove the square plastic block.

In Dave's instructions, he mentions some tabs that need to be squeezed together.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
. I can't seem to squeeze them together enough or I don't understand how it works. There is a slot between two tabs but it's not wide enough to allow much squeezing.

Any tips?
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Window regulator cleaning and lubrication (Manual) Reply with quote

I'd put some sound deadener (i.e FatMat) on the door panel before putting back the window regulator.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: Window regulator cleaning and lubrication (Manual) Reply with quote

EDIT:
My bending the tab idea apparently is NOT the way to proceed if you need to remove the nylon guide.
Go Westy has a pdf on bending the run limiting pinch tabs on the end of the winder spring channel and winding off the entire assembly. Replace the nylon bit, wind it back on and pinch the limit tabs back as they were.

http://www.gowesty.com/files/GVW-WNDW-REG-RBLD-KIT.pdf

(I am correct in that the guide pin and metal plate are indeed pinch fastened together though...... Laughing )

Original post........
I circled the tabs.

I was lucky, didn't have to remove the square block.

As I remember,
It seems like a split pin.
Clean it out really well and using needle nose pliers, pinch them together.

This should allow the metal plate and nylon block to come off.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert

Last edited by djkeev on Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Window regulator cleaning and lubrication (Manual) Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
I circled the tabs.

I was lucky, didn't have to remove the square block.

As I remember,
It seems like a split pin.
Clean it out really well and using needle nose pliers, pinch them together.

This should allow the metal plate and nylon block to come off.

Dave

Thanks Dave. I have studied the design carefully with a magnifying lens after cleaning it with brake cleaner. My van is an 82 and may be different than later years. The metal portion that holds the plastic block is entirely round and has no flat spots on the sides as you show in your photo.

The design is really pretty ingenious. Imagine a small rectangular plate with three long slots in the center. These slots are set to the pitch and lead angle of the spring (screw). The plate gets formed around the inner cable bringing the two ends together to form a double tab. The plastic guide block is installed over this tab then the metal boss - which has a slot for the tab. This assembly is then inserted into a fixture and set using a conical punch to deform the two tabs away from each other and into a tapered recess in the metal boss.

I tried to un-deform the punched tabs, but as you might guess, the metal is quite hard and wouldn't budge. The next move would be to drill or Dremmel out the deformed metal - possibly a quick tack and quench would hold it after the new plastic block was installed. Again, different years may have different ways to attach this. I can't imagine GW would make a repair kit unless there were units that can be disassembled, but I can say with some certainty that this unit was never intended to come apart.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Window regulator cleaning and lubrication (Manual) Reply with quote

Go Westy says it fits 80-91 MANUAL ONLY.

I've no clue what the electric lift looks like, is that round?

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Window regulator cleaning and lubrication (Manual) Reply with quote

Gizmoman

Post some photos of your lift.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Window regulator cleaning and lubrication (Manual) Reply with quote

Dave, my lift is manual - never said anything about it being electric.
I'd post some photos (and may yet) but it's pretty much junk now. I followed GW's PDF instructions but should have taken more care before I tried unscrewing it from the cable/spring assembly.

At the end of the cable, the spring appears to be either swedged or welded to the end of the cable. This blob interrupts the threads significantly and if you force the nut (block) over this blob, you're going to ruin it.
I'm not saying there may be models where this is not the case, just saying it is the case on mine which is an 82.
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Window regulator cleaning and lubrication (Manual) Reply with quote

Here are a few pics. . .

The "blob" at the end was originally much larger than it shows in the pics. I used a tiny grinder to try and form a continuous thread so I could re-install the nut which I deformed during the removal. As you can see in the photos as well - the nut was too far gone to re-use. I tried to re-form the three loops and the center one broke - this stuff is quite hard.

Had I taken more care before I removed the nut, this may have worked. There is no mention of this in the GW PDF instructions should one decide to buy their repair kit. Not a slam on GW - just a heads-up for anyone attempting the fix.

The last photo shows my attempts to un-deform the tabs to allow the steel boss to slide off - the metal is likely spring steel and does not respond well to a punch or screwdriver.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Window regulator cleaning and lubrication (Manual) Reply with quote

Thanks for the photos.

Sorry that happened......

While I have many extra Vanagon Parts...... window lifts are not among them. Crying or Very sad

I'm trying to shed them for I won't have a Vanagon Shed at the new house..... downsizing and all...........
time to let accumulated stuff find new homes.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Window regulator cleaning and lubrication (Manual) Reply with quote

As it was ruined anyway, here's a shot of what the nut assembly looks like before it is formed and swedged.

Obviously, there's a missing rib in the center but hopefully you get the idea.
Also, if you notice the width of the slot in the round bit is just enough for the sheet metal tabs to fit through. Once it gets swedged at the factory, it's not going to come out easily if at all.
I was able to get this one out because the plastic block was not in the way and I was able to put it in a vise and hammer a screwdriver through the slot.

Also obvious is it's not spring steel - it is pretty tough though.
nilza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: Window regulator cleaning and lubrication (Manual) Reply with quote

Just another option for the plastic parts

https://www.shapeways.com/product/3C55WHNSY/window-regulator-for-and-aft-slider-pair

https://www.shapeways.com/product/DWDV3TNNL/vanagon-t3-regulator-up-and-down-sliders-set
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: Window regulator cleaning and lubrication (Manual) Reply with quote

Thanks for the link. While mine is fixed and will hopefully last till I'm no longer available, it adds to the thread's help factor.

3D printing and NLA parts - a perfect combination.
Jacebc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Window regulator cleaning and lubrication (Manual) Reply with quote

Thank you for this super helpful guide. My repair was going well until I accidentally destroyed the small metal oval thingee that supports the window rail. Shocked

Any ideas of who would stock that part? Or do I need to get the entire manual regulator unit for a 1986 Vanagon Westy drivers side?

Bonus question: my window tint was scratched when the regulator failed. Can the window be retinues without removing the glass?

Thanks so much!
bajaleo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Window regulator cleaning and lubrication (Manual) Reply with quote

I'm hoping someone can help me. My van came back from the paint shop missing these parts. Driver's side door (US).

Does anyone have them laying around. Will pay money!

Thanks, Leo

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: