Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Barndoor Coachbuilders #3: Unknown & other ones.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AustroBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Coachbuilders #3: Unknown & other ones. Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Barndoor hacked into a Deluxe style Bus
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I just discovered this photo in the Vintage picture thread.
Very interesting roof - looks similar to other buses that we have already seen in this thread. Most of them were located in western Austria or in the south of Germany - according to the licence plates.

Of course i already did my research and if you ask me the building in the back is the state opera in Munich, Bavaria. Might be a little more helpful puzzle piece one day.

Caption: Re-opening of the opera in Munich on November 21st, 1963.

Barndoor Coachbuilder Topics:
"Hans Kohlruss & Co"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nezz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Coachbuilders #3: Unknown & other ones. Reply with quote

djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Coachbuilders #3: Unknown & other ones. Reply with quote

crazy cool, that thing seems to be made from glass....do we know any Dutch coachbuilders for buses or is that a Portugese license plate ?

52 Barndoor DLX Coachbuild project
55 Wolfsburg panel project, og paint Taubenblau L31
62 Dickholmer, custom color Seeblau L360
63 1500 Notch, og paint Rubin Rot L456
67 1500 Käfer, og paint Lotus weiß L282 w/red interior
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Coachbuilders #3: Unknown & other ones. Reply with quote

should be Dutch. Still in business, OAD Busreizen

https://www.oad.nl/?qooqie_creative_id=17742795405...IaCfD_BwE#

nezz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Coachbuilders #3: Unknown & other ones. Reply with quote

yes, dutch bus

you can tell it's a portuguese BD if the numbers in the center are 12, 13,...until 21/22 if I'm not mistaken
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Coachbuilders #3: Unknown & other ones. Reply with quote

ok, thx - interesting info! The period Dutch and Portugese plates look very similar at first glance. white on black and similar fond. but the letter-letter number-number . number-number seems to be characteristic of Dutch plates, judging from many vintage pics.

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Coachbuilders #3: Unknown & other ones. Reply with quote

I wonder if the owners of VW Deluxe buses talked amongst themselves and called these Dutch Hacks? Rolling Eyes Laughing

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Coachbuilders #3: Unknown & other ones. Reply with quote

Looks like maybe 2 coachbuilt buses here
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1836530.jpg
nezz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:14 am    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Coachbuilders #3: Unknown & other ones. Reply with quote

djfordmanjack wrote:
ok, thx - interesting info! The period Dutch and Portugese plates look very similar at first glance. white on black and similar fond. but the letter-letter number-number . number-number seems to be characteristic of Dutch plates, judging from many vintage pics.

they're quite alike. portuguese plates are letter-letter . number-number . number-number as are the dutch. the difference is in type of font and dutch plates are very dark blue instead of black like the portuguese ones

dutch plates changed to black on yellow (I recall being in the 70's) and portuguese plates changed to EU standart in early 90s

my 72 plates are white on black and when I travel outside of Portugal I'm always taken as dutch. the funny thing is that the bus came from The Netherlands in 83
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Coachbuilders #3: Unknown & other ones. Reply with quote

Jacks wrote:
Looks like maybe 2 coachbuilt buses here
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1836530.jpg

way cool pic, but the two 'coachbuilt's' are Ford FK 1250 (transit) vans.
I gotta know that because I own one. Smile

djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Coachbuilders #3: Unknown & other ones. Reply with quote

great info nezz. always interesting to learn about different countries plates ! Thx.
obviously the Dutch and Portugese are very similar and might be mistaken in a b/w pic.

nezz wrote:
djfordmanjack wrote:

they're quite alike. portuguese plates are letter-letter . number-number . number-number as are the dutch. the difference is in type of font and dutch plates are very dark blue instead of black like the portuguese ones

dutch plates changed to black on yellow (I recall being in the 70's) and portuguese plates changed to EU standart in early 90s

my 72 plates are white on black and when I travel outside of Portugal I'm always taken as dutch. the funny thing is that the bus came from The Netherlands in 83

AustroBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Coachbuilders #3: Unknown & other ones. Reply with quote

nezz wrote:

Thanks for sharing! This pic reminds me a lot of this other dutch coachbuilt. I can see lots of matching details, especially when i look at the 3 side windows and the long skylight in the rear!

"Hans Kohlruss & Co"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Coachbuilders #3: Unknown & other ones. Reply with quote

those buses are freaky, but interesting nonetheless. Obviously the latest one was also built from a panel van (high vents).
passenger seats have headrests ! Surprised
the additional chrome trim is clumsy and cluttered, but nice period details.
I guess taking a short or longer trip in a bus and even a little VW 9 seater was quite expensive and pretty much luxury back in the early 1950s and the travel company owners wanted to show that on their rides. Did anybody else notice that nearly all of these coachbuilt tour buses have radios and tall antennae to show off. of course they had to be long for AM ( longwave) but, sure was a thing to really brag between bus owners.

djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Coachbuilders #3: Unknown & other ones. Reply with quote

Alex, I was revisiting the old posts and suddenly when I saw that old pic that I posted years ago it clicked some more. have been interested in vintage flying lately and I am pretty sure that is the KLM ( Dutch airline) logo on front of that Austrian registered (S= Salzburg) coachbuilt. which makes total sense. Salzburg already had its own airport back then and international Airport of Munich is not that far away as well. I am pretty sure that this is the logo and signwriting on that bus.

AustroBus wrote:

How about them? Kohlruss, Schreiner, ….?

AustroBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Coachbuilders #3: Unknown & other ones. Reply with quote

Hallo Günter,

good eye - and sorry for not answering to your post.
Don't know why i did not see this.

"Hans Kohlruss & Co"
AustroBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Coachbuilders #3: Unknown & other ones. Reply with quote

As i just posted this in "Barndoor Junkie - Vintage Photos" (interesting part starts on page [212], my post on [214]..), i thought this belongs here too!

So please forgive me for just putting this in here without any further info.

AustroBus wrote:
djfordmanjack wrote:
Für Gardinen - MHZ Schienen (rhymes)

For (your) curtains - (use) MHZ (curtain) tracks.

that is another killer company bus. one of the best. loving the color combo, coachbuild trim, rack and script fond.

volkswouter wrote:

zehbeh wrote:
Found this on the MHZ site

djfordmanjack wrote:
exactly what I was thinking. the layout and workmanship on the trim and the bus overall is high end, it must have been done by an experienced shop or coachbuilder ...

Hi guys - i haven't been visiting thesamba in a while - but to bring some light into this case...

These buses were modified by coachbuilder Gottlob Auwärter in Stuttgart-Möhringen.
As so often, this pic first showed up on Facebook on 1st of January 2021 and then was spread throughout Social Media and the web.
And as always - people did not give credit or ad any information on that pic and so a lot of knowledge got lost.

Original source: This facebook post of a page called "Automobil-Park Auwärter" - posting a bunch of pics from the Neoplan Archive.
(Additional note: The Gottlob Auwärter Company existed since 1935 - but from 1953 on they used the brand Neoplan to build Omnibuses with self-supporting bodies.)

If you look at all the pics on that mentioned FB post above, you will notice some similarities on bigger, coachbuilt travel buses to this special VW Bus.
And there is also a pic of another - much bigger MHZ vehicle which even wears the Gottlob Auwärter badge on the side.

See this pic:

Detail pic of the Gottlob Auwärter badge (as seen on the vehicle above - next to the rear wheel on the right side)

I hope this helped. And i also hope the pic of the other non-VW truck doesn't get deleted here, as i uploaded it on thesamba itself :/

Cheers,
Alex

"Hans Kohlruss & Co"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: