Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Auxiliary Air Regulators from BusDepot
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oscarsnapkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:04 pm    Post subject: New Auxiliary Air Regulators from BusDepot Reply with quote

Has anyone purchased/used one of the new AARs that are available from Bus Depot? They run $99.95 and are described as "brand new units that had been rebranded for use by another manufacturer that used the same fuel injection system at the time." I don't mind spending the hundred bucks if I know it's going to work and be of fairly decent quality. Not to mention that I'm hesitant on buying a used one from the ads since I have no way of knowing how well a used piece will work. I tried adjusting mine awhile back as per Colin's instruction on his website, but it did me no good. I think the little screw is stripped. I appreciate anyone's opinions. Thanks.
Here's a link to the BusDepot listing:
http://www.busdepot.com/049133453-42

"It’s so easy to laugh, it’s so easy to hate, it takes strength to be gentle and kind."
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: New Auxiliary Air Regulators from BusDepot Reply with quote

Looks like the real McCoy. Call them up and ask about it. Then let us know what you learned.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: New Auxiliary Air Regulators from BusDepot Reply with quote

Many of the non European efI cars used the same parts.....reD that as Japanese mainly. Some parts were Japanese built under license. ..some were Bosch built with no name.

Its a simple part. If it works it works

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: New Auxiliary Air Regulators from BusDepot Reply with quote

I have one for a 912E on mine and it works fine. You can look here and see if there is an interchange. All it does is let in air while the motor warms up then it shuts off. The worst that can happen is your idle will be a few RPM high or low the first minute.

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/FISwap.html

http://www.type2.com/library/fuel/fuelibo.htm

Samba thread from 2008 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=322593
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: New Auxiliary Air Regulators from BusDepot Reply with quote

At this point I think there are several used ones available for a lot less than $100. Like has been said, it's a pretty simple part. Easy to clean. Easy to test. Easy to adjust. Save yourself $70 and use that money somewhere else on your bus.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: New Auxiliary Air Regulators from BusDepot Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
At this point I think there are several used ones available for a lot less than $100. Like has been said, it's a pretty simple part. Easy to clean. Easy to test. Easy to adjust. Save yourself $70 and use that money somewhere else on your bus.

Yes and no. I have buckets of old used ones....literally. They don't last forever. With age and heat cycles the bi-metallic strip unit no longer twists as far. Same issue as the bi-metallic choke coil in a carb.

Many of thek no longer have the ability ro close all the way with age. I have bought too many used ones over the eons that ended up to be worthless.

Get a new one when you can. Ray
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: New Auxiliary Air Regulators from BusDepot Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:

Yes and no. I have buckets of old used ones....literally. They don't last forever. With age and heat cycles the bi-metallic strip unit no longer twists as far. Same issue as the bi-metallic choke coil in a carb.

Don't throw them out! We can use them on buses here in our lovely 86* "winter." Our temp swings aren't as demanding as a climate that gets all four seasons, so our AARs can be lazy and still function.

Robbie Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: New Auxiliary Air Regulators from BusDepot Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:

Don't throw them out! We can use them on buses here in our lovely 86* "winter." Our temp swings aren't as demanding as a climate that gets all four seasons, so our AARs can be lazy and still function.

Robbie Wink

No....really you cant. Most if not all of the ones I have in the bucket I have kept just for hard parts in case they were needed.

None of them will close at all.....or hardly at all.....even when the mechanical mechanism is smooth. Of those that have resistance or proper resistance ....the bi-metal part is either so far off in temp range or cannot twist at all. This is usually due to fatigue or delamination.

This is why I am pointing out.....if you are buying these used.....make sure they function.

I have kept these because I acquired most of them from junkyards in the pre-internet days....when finding correct parts like this was a long hard trip with few and far between parts.

I started looking at and working on ways to rebuild the bi-metallic element.......which is why I saved these dead parts.....and will continue.

Anyway.....the 411/412 cars....does not use the same style of AAR as the bus. Ours uses the round electric single wire unit that some late type 3 has. And.....those I was eventually able to rebuild the bi-metallic element in.

But....if you have the right mounting bracket.....I found.....I can use the same AARs as a bus....except the calibration of some of them sucks for a 411/412.

Its worthwhile to buy a new one....and keep a decent old one for a spare as long as they last.

There are enough cars that used this shape and style of AAR.....that at some point ....someone will likely start rebuilding or repopping them for watercooled cars.....for ugly money.....but they will be available. Ray
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: New Auxiliary Air Regulators from BusDepot Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Many of the non European efI cars used the same parts.....reD that as Japanese mainly. Some parts were Japanese built under license. ..some were Bosch built with no name.

Ray

Ha! No kidding! But some European car makers too. I once had a Peugeot 504 in at a shop I was working at. All the FI components said Lucas on them but were nothing more than Bosch components with Lucas stickers applied to them. (thank goodness.) you could peel the Lucas sticker back and it would say Bosch underneath it. Laughing

Lucas prince of darkness!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: New Auxiliary Air Regulators from BusDepot Reply with quote

sodbuster wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:

Ray

Ha! No kidding! But some European car makers too. I once had a Peugeot 504 in at a shop I was working at. All the FI components said Lucas on them but were nothing more than Bosch components with Lucas stickers applied to them. (thank goodness.) you could peel the Lucas sticker back and it would say Bosch underneath it. Laughing

Lucas prince of darkness!

Yes....thats the kind of combo that is the reason why the French drink wine during daylight hours......a French car with Lucas electrical parts.

Those Peugeot's must have large trunks to carry around jars of "replacement smoke" for the Lucas relays. Laughing

http://www.lrfaq.org/series/eBAY_NOS_Lucas_electrical_harness_replacement_smoke.pdf

The Q&A and description and testimonials in the one above is just priceless!

http://www3.telus.net/bc_triumph_registry/smoke.htm
Ray
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: New Auxiliary Air Regulators from BusDepot Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: