Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need new window/door rubber seals for 1971 Westy best option
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vdublammy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:30 pm    Post subject: Need new window/door rubber seals for 1971 Westy best option Reply with quote

Looking for new seals and installed my last ones over 15 years ago probably from Wolfsburg West. Wondering who has the best German seals for doors and windows and best fit. I saw some from Bus depot and Wolfsburg.
Also, my local shop carries West Coast Metric. Pros cons?

thanks,
Mike

installed new seats from Sewfine and have water leaks. Also picked up rubber mats from Wolfsburg West for around seats. Replacing seals before I go any further.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vdublammy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Need new window/door rubber seals for 1971 Westy best option Reply with quote

looks like Wolfsburg, bus depot, and West Coast Metric has front door seal kits. ALso, West coast has a few windshield seals.

wonder which windshield seal is the best fit? Has anyone recently installed one? thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Need new window/door rubber seals for 1971 Westy best option Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?search..._chars=200

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?search..._chars=200
vdublammy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Need new window/door rubber seals for 1971 Westy best option Reply with quote

Thanks Tcash.
vdublammy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Need new window/door rubber seals for 1971 Westy best option Reply with quote

After speaking with Wolfsburg west on the phone. I am going with their seals. I did all my seals with them on my 1964 bug in 2001. they are holding up great. Also, found that some suppliers get their seals from Wolfsburg. will post updates once I install them all.
vdublammy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Need new window/door rubber seals for 1971 Westy best option Reply with quote

pulled winshield and will need to get a new section of metal. Also removed doors to repair rust holes and install new seals and door panels/plastic. found that the rust holes in doors were letting water in ...

After speaking with Bustoration I went with EIS replacement panel. thicker metal and they just installed one with good results.

http://www.eisparts.com/EIS-5510.html

will pick up a new windshield locally.

Cptn. Calzone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Need new window/door rubber seals for 1971 Westy best option Reply with quote

This past weekend I did both doors window seals and scrapers and new va[por barrier with amskeptic(Colin) we had a great time however Wolfsburgs quality left plenty to be desired.From extremely chintzy material and quality to some fitment issues, however we installed all felt chanells scrapers and refurbed all the locks and lubed the windersa/regulator in the doors.
vdublammy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Need new window/door rubber seals for 1971 Westy best option Reply with quote

Cptn. Calzone wrote:
This past weekend I did both doors window seals and scrapers and new va[por barrier with amskeptic(Colin) we had a great time however Wolfsburgs quality left plenty to be desired.From extremely chintzy material and quality to some fitment issues, however we installed all felt chanells scrapers and refurbed all the locks and lubed the windersa/regulator in the doors.

Good to know. I am only using the outer German seal and 2 window seals. Once I paint the entire bus I will do the doors. I heard to reuse the original clips in the scrapers. Also, a new windshield and new Jalousie seals from WW.
beatles4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Need new window/door rubber seals for 1971 Westy best option Reply with quote

I want to keep tabs on this thread. This past weekend I found out that my bay leaks from the front windshield. I have a feeling that I too will need to replace that lower piece of metal.

http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate2-27771.png
vdublammy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Need new window/door rubber seals for 1971 Westy best option Reply with quote

want to report that EIS shipped out the front windshield replacement metal same day today. I will report back once we start cutting. Not only was my windshield leaking but the old outer seals were saoked and never dried out and caused rust holes in the sides of my doors. Even with the vapor barrier the water came in through the holes.. So we will weld up, treat with evaporust, and epoxy prime paint. The rear window was leaking as well. a little pin hole and water was traveling in...What is interesting is in 2006 I replaced outer seals on the Jalosie windows with WW ones. they dried out and shrunk. water was leaking there too but didn't stay trapped because the seal was dry and water had a way out as opposed to the black rubber...we will also treat with POR 15 on all window areas.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Need new window/door rubber seals for 1971 Westy best option Reply with quote

I bought the "German" made door seal from Wolfsburg West for my 70' bus. While it fits perfect in the door, the door really shuts tight. There's a section of the rubber that meshes against the lower A pillar that's too thick. After a year of this door seal being on the car and squished, it's much better but not perfect.

What's disappointing is I bought the German door seals from Wolfsburg West for my 67 bug and they were perfect in fit and the door shut nicely the same day I installed them.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**

Last edited by wcfvw69 on Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:35 am; edited 1 time in total
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Need new window/door rubber seals for 1971 Westy best option Reply with quote

Thank you for the link to the EIS lower windshield part! I have been searching for a Gerson piece like that for a while as I know I'm gonna have holes in my front panel, but no one has one and not sure I really wanna deal with Klassic Fab directly as it seems like a huge hassle. Glad SOMEONE is willing to make money off bay owners! Let us know how it goes in!
I have gotten a lot of good stuff from EIS for my Bus and my bug, they get a bad rap sometimes but I haven't had an issue yet.

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
vdublammy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Need new window/door rubber seals for 1971 Westy best option Reply with quote

no problem. Also, my 1964 bug seals fit like a glove from WW when I installed them in 2001. still in great shape. Has anyone tried the outer seal for the Jalousie windows from Bus Depot or another company to see if they are different quality than the WW kit? I saw some come in black. wonder if the rubber is more like the window seal.
vdublammy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Need new window/door rubber seals for 1971 Westy best option Reply with quote

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C16-241-522-LR

these Jalosie seals are more like the other window seals on the bus. I may return my kit from WW, since they dried and shrank in 10 years. Anyone use these with good results and fitment?
vdublammy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Need new window/door rubber seals for 1971 Westy best option Reply with quote

OK so I am returning some of the seals I got from WW. going with the German ones from Bus Depot. Along with the Just campers Rubber black seals for the Jalousie windows.

I will report on fit and post pics once installed

Louvered Window Seal 231845413 2 $39.90
Windshield Seal 211845121DVW 1 $34.95
Rear Hatch Window Seal 211845521CVW 1 $39.95
vdublammy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Need new window/door rubber seals for 1971 Westy best option Reply with quote

got the section cut out and using evaporust on inside with blue towels and saran wrap to kill rust.
vdublammy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Need new window/door rubber seals for 1971 Westy best option Reply with quote

new part welded in. Making some progress...

ping349n
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Need new window/door rubber seals for 1971 Westy best option Reply with quote

vdublammy wrote:
new part welded in. Making some progress...

Looks good! I'm just curious as to how the fit was? How much tweaking/cutting did you have to do? That's the best price I've seen for that piece.
vdublammy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Need new window/door rubber seals for 1971 Westy best option Reply with quote

there was some tweaking on the corners and my body guy didn't use the whole curves on the sides. It was a decent fit. For 210 shipped in 2 days not bad! we hung the doors and checked the lines. The part is way thicker which didn't warp... Now I am getting a windshield here is my old brand in pic. think I will get the same. 170 installed . I provide German seal from Bus Depot. The seals front and rear from Bus Depot are nice with corners on them. wil l report once installed.

vdublammy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Need new window/door rubber seals for 1971 Westy best option Reply with quote

the bus is ready for glass install which will happen Monday. Got bus depot seals for front and rear and the just campers seals for louvered windows from BD. The black seals for the louvered are much softer rubber than the WW.

here's some pics of the work

old windshield and new windshield-PPG sold to PGW
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: