Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Burning up condensers, need help.
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
2T2-Crash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:15 am    Post subject: Burning up condensers, need help. Reply with quote

67 beetle, 1600sp, Bosch alternator upgrade, .009 dizzy.

A few days ago all was fine in the beetle, when I parked it I accidentally let off the clutch like an idiot and stalled her hard.
Two days later I make my 45 min commute to school and notice she is surging on the highway in 3rd and 4th at high RPM, on the trip home she is gutless when giving it gas.
The next day I'm heading to school and she quit out on me. She would spin the starter and was giving gas but wouldn't turn over. After inspecting the points I noticed one side had a pit and the other a point. I replaced the points and condenser, my original condenser had a square plastic plug to go into the square hole in the dizzy, the replacement had a round one.
The bug ran like a champ for about three hours of intermittent use then gave me the finger again.
This morning I replace the condenser with another that had a round plug in because it was what I had on hand. She is sitting in the driveway now.

Are there differences in the electrical capacity of the round vs square plugged condensers and that is why the replacement failed or is there something else to look at as the culprit?

I verified my little jostling of the beetle didn't stick the float in the carb and I blew air through the gas tank vent tube at the suggestion of a local vw was before the condensers gave me the finger).

Any help would be greatly appreciated
EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Burning up condensers, need help. Reply with quote

Just eliminate both and put in a Pertronix ignitor.
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Burning up condensers, need help. Reply with quote

Buy Bosch condensers. Not all condensers are made the same. Break open a few and you'll see the difference. Bosch have been the most reliable for me.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Burning up condensers, need help. Reply with quote

Yes, they are different--and it's not just the shape of the plug.

Make sure you get the condenser that matches your distributor.

I went through the same crap when I first got my latest bug--after a 19-year hiatus.

There is a chart that reputable vendors have in their catalogs. Match the points and condenser to the distributor number. Then your points won't get pitted up.

Tim

Richard O'Brien

Last edited by Tim Donahoe on Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Burning up condensers, need help. Reply with quote

Has the car always eaten condensers the entire time you've owned it, or is this new behaviour? If new, did you perform any maintenance or replace any parts close to the time frame it started acting up?
2T2-Crash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Burning up condensers, need help. Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
Has the car always eaten condensers the entire time you've owned it, or is this new behaviour? If new, did you perform any maintenance or replace any parts close to the time frame it started acting up?

I've had it for about two years now.
I had the engine rebuilt right off the bat because the cam was toast. about all I've really done to the electrical system is install a stereo and swap from a generator to an alternator after the the genny died.

I do have a cluster of gauges zip tied under the hood up front until I install my three guage mount under the dash (I made wood panels for the front of the dash.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Burning up condensers, need help. Reply with quote

So does that mean the burning condenser behaviour is new or not? Did it start shortly after swapping to the alternator or one of the other things you did or no?
2T2-Crash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Burning up condensers, need help. Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
So does that mean the burning condenser behaviour is new or not? Did it start shortly after swapping to the alternator or one of the other things you did or no?

It's something new, it was running fine with the Alt for a good two or three months.
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Burning up condensers, need help. Reply with quote

Quote:

What do you mean by different? The method of mounting? Electrically the condenser and the coil are a 'matched set'. The distributor contains the points, just a switch. Confused
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Burning up condensers, need help. Reply with quote

EMPIImp69 wrote:

What do you suggest when it fails?... and they do.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Burning up condensers, need help. Reply with quote

Quote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Burning up condensers, need help. Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
EMPIImp69 wrote:

13 going on 14 years of daily driving, never a failure. points and condenser fail too you know. Wink
2T2-Crash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Burning up condensers, need help. Reply with quote

67jason wrote:
Glenn wrote:
EMPIImp69 wrote:

13 going on 14 years of daily driving, never a failure. points and condenser fail too you know. Wink

I'll probably pick one up and pray it doesn't get nuked too... Then I'd know I got another, more F*ed up problem, but I wouldn't know what it is. Laughing
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Burning up condensers, need help. Reply with quote

runamoc wrote:
Quote:

What do you mean by different? The method of mounting? Electrically the condenser and the coil are a 'matched set'. The distributor contains the points, just a switch. Confused

Read this on the following link and it may help you understand the variability in quality of condensers. Like any other part, there are ones that are better and more reliable than others.

http://www.nonlintec.com/sprite/cap_failure/
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Burning up condensers, need help. Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
EMPIImp69 wrote:

If you are going to drive an old VW, you have to carry a tool box/bag (or accept calling tow trucks). It's just a reality.

In my tool bag, I carry tools and an assortment of spare parts:

- Bosch points
- Bosch condenser
- Bosch rotor
- Comolete 009 Distributor with new points gapped and new condenser installed and ready to drop in.
- Fuel pump with gaskets, block, and rod.
- New Pertronix coil
- Coil Wire
- Plug Wires
- Spark Plugs
- Belt
- extra wire and terminals/alligator clips
- Fuses
- oil
- electrical tape
- duct tape
- a myriad of tools

I have 2 bugs. One with a 009 points+condenser and the other a SVDA with electronic ignition. Whichever one I drive I move the tool bag to. If the ei goes out, I just drop in my spare 009 and plug the vacuum hose with a golf tee (in the bag too). Static time to 7.5* BTDC with my test light (in tool bag) and roll. I've had 3 occasions over 15 years that a coil died without warning. A 5 minute roadside fix if you have the stuff on hand.

I'm going to start a "what's in your tool bag" thread. Lessons learned the hard way over the years.
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Burning up condensers, need help. Reply with quote

VW condenser values are all pretty much the same. Quality is another matter. My suggestion is find an NOS condenser.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Burning up condensers, need help. Reply with quote

tasb wrote:
My suggestion is find an NOS condenser.

NOS condensers can fail suddenly due to age.

While i'm using a 50 year old condenser I have seen them fail suddenly. I've sold thousands of Bosch 02 006 and 02 107 condensers with maybe a handful of early failures.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Burning up condensers, need help. Reply with quote

What coil do you have?
2T2-Crash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Burning up condensers, need help. Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
What coil do you have?

Aside from "an old ass blue Bosch one" I can't give any extra info at the moment, I will be able to give more information in a couple of hours when I get home. Embarassed
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Burning up condensers, need help. Reply with quote

2T2-Crash wrote:
KTPhil wrote:
What coil do you have?

Aside from "an old ass blue Bosch one"

Actually Bosch made 5 different 12v "Blue" coils not counting all the aftermarket ones.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: