Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

One more Zwitter bug 1953
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zvonimir1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject: One more Zwitter bug 1953 Reply with quote

Hi there guys! My name is Zvonimir. I am 30yo and I live in Croatia!

I have just bought a "new" beetle...
Anyone who wants to help me is welcome! I have found it in a small village near the sea ( 30 km ). Long time ago someone wanted to have a fresh car so he cutted the rear window and today it is a shame. Back then, I suppose he was a Mr.Big Shot. Does any shop sell rear window body panel?
Next thing what I was wondering, is this a Zwitter bug?
I will post some pictures now and you may discuss it please.
Previous owner bought it in 2001 for making a racing car ( yeah right ).

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Engine is 1961.

The big number : 1 0447392

Looking forward to some good conversations...

Last edited by Zvonimir1985 on Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:27 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Porsche904
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1953 1200 beetle ? Reply with quote

Zwitter, built Jan.53, big project Very Happy
Zvonimir1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1953 1200 beetle ? Reply with quote

And what about rear window? Where can I buy that body frame?
empiracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1953 1200 beetle ? Reply with quote

Some nice gauges in the dash, and that steering wheel is pretty cool too !
Rathguten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1953 1200 beetle ? Reply with quote

Looks like a lot more than just the back window was changed out, more likely the whole rear half of the body. Look through the classifieds and you will find several vendors offering many of the replacement panels you will need. Good luck!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zvonimir1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1953 1200 beetle ? Reply with quote

Lot more then just a window sure, but I cant spell it!! 😀
The most important thing are the clean papers! I cant find that part online, some help would be nice. What about jbugs parts? Are they any good? Maybe some better webshop? Maybe cheaper one?

Anyone knows what kind of steering wheel is mine?

Thanks!
Rathguten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1953 1200 beetle ? Reply with quote

I haven't purchased from either of these vendors, so I can't vouch for them, but they seem to be good quality.

http://www.kaefer-nostalgie.com/

http://www.restorationpanels.com
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1953 1200 beetle ? Reply with quote

Interesting narrowed speaker grill.

The firewall of the engine compartment is original so the complete back of the car has not been replaced but it does look like the rear window, apron, deck lid and fenders have been replaced.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
Rathguten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1953 1200 beetle ? Reply with quote

Do you have any history on the car? I wonder what all the lights, gauges, switches, relays and fuse boxes were for.
Zvonimir1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1953 1200 beetle ? Reply with quote

I have no history of the car. Only the papers and some document of factory replacement engine which is in the car.
I will post some photos of unusual parts...
I must say, this is the only car I have bought that looks better in real then on the pictures.
Any idea where can I buy the seats? Which model years will fit?

Thank you!
Zvonimir1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1953 1200 beetle ? Reply with quote

And I have found which steering wheel I have:
Rometsh
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1953 1200 beetle ? Reply with quote

Zvonimir1985 wrote:
Rometsh

correct! Rometsch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zwitterkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: One more Zwitter bug 1953 Reply with quote

Could the speaker grille be Rometsch, or is it a home brew?
usariemen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1953 1200 beetle ? Reply with quote

tisius wrote:
Zvonimir1985 wrote:
Rometsh

correct! Rometsch.

Well, Rometsch equipped most (or all?) at least many of their cars with those steering wheels.
But it was an accessory wheel that was available to buy for any other car owner as well.
joel55bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: One more Zwitter bug 1953 Reply with quote

This car will be a chore to put back to right condition. A Zwitter is one of the hardest VW's to find period correct parts for. The 2 vendors listed above are good sources and here is a few more: split parts unlimited, wolf, gerson (klassic fab) and virtanen. The samba is also where you are going to learn a lot about your car and also find some of your things needed for the car. I think you said you needed seats for this car I believe Kaefer Nostalgie has a full set for your car located at one of his warehouses in Europe somewhere but they won't be cheap as will nothing else for this car. Good luck and keep us updated on your progress.
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: One more Zwitter bug 1953 Reply with quote

this crotch cooler split had been modified more than this zwitter. It can be done.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3...t=molested

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
rillette
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1953 1200 beetle ? Reply with quote

Rathguten wrote:
Do you have any history on the car? I wonder what all the lights, gauges, switches, relays and fuse boxes were for.

To make it look like a Spoutnik capsule!!!
vwhelmot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: One more Zwitter bug 1953 Reply with quote

Beck fuel gauge too. Nice
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1953 1200 beetle ? Reply with quote

usariemen wrote:
tisius wrote:
Zvonimir1985 wrote:
Rometsh

correct! Rometsch.

Well, Rometsch equipped most (or all?) at least many of their cars with those steering wheels.
But it was an accessory wheel that was available to buy for any other car owner as well.

Did any other cars have a spline pattern like the early Porsche/VW steering column spline pattern as well?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: One more Zwitter bug 1953 Reply with quote

joel55bug wrote:
This car will be a chore to put back to right condition. A Zwitter is one of the hardest VW's to find period correct parts for. The 2 vendors listed above are good sources and here is a few more: split parts unlimited, wolf, gerson (klassic fab) and virtanen. The samba is also where you are going to learn a lot about your car and also find some of your things needed for the car. I think you said you needed seats for this car I believe Kaefer Nostalgie has a full set for your car located at one of his warehouses in Europe somewhere but they won't be cheap as will nothing else for this car. Good luck and keep us updated on your progress.

My advice here would be to keep the car stock and use some oval era parts here and there; and then although costly, it will not be too bad financially.
Making it a 100% original stock zwitter will most likely not be achievable unless you have a complete 100% (or nearly) original stock car to start with which this isn't.

Or.... be bold, go all out, slam it, and put on alloys and as much accessories as you can find Twisted Evil
It should be cheaper and more fun (but of course stock originality is most valuable in the end).

Or... somewhere in-between the 2 above extremes Razz

You decide Exclamation Laughing

Last edited by tisius on Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:34 pm; edited 4 times in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: