Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Generator or alternator install fan and backing plates
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Generator or alternator install fan and backing plates Reply with quote

I have found that when going through this much work I would recomand installing a new alt....75 amp. but thats me I dont have shit for brains like so many that know how to spell and have thier grammer on the right side of ... but atleast some of the parts are painted thats a pluss
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Generator or alternator install fan and backing plates Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
I have found that when going through this much work I would recomand installing a new alt....75 amp. but thats me I dont have shit for brains like so many that know how to spell and have thier grammer on the right side of ... but atleast some of the parts are painted thats a pluss

Thank you Mark and don't sell yourself short. I read your posts very carefully. Very Happy
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Generator or alternator install fan and backing plates Reply with quote

I have an issue, Zund. I removed my alternator and the fan side was extremely easy; however, the pulley half was ridiculously hard to get off. That sucker was on there tight.

I finally got it off with a large screwdriver, going round and round until the pulley half slipped off.

Since there is no VW stamped into the pulley half, I assume it's aftermarket. Are the VW pulley halves this tight? I ask because it almost seems that I would need to press it onto the new Bosch alternator. I certainly don't want to pound it on and possibly jar something loose in the new alternator?

Any tips on installing this part?

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Generator or alternator install fan and backing plates Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
Since there is no VW stamped into the pulley half, I assume it's aftermarket. Are the VW pulley halves this tight? I ask because it almost seems that I would need to press it onto the new Bosch alternator. I certainly don't want to pound it on and possibly jar something loose in the new alternator?

Any tips on installing this part?

I'd use some wet/dry and sand the inner surface of the pulley half a little. And I'd use a tad of grease to install that onto the alternator shaft.

Is your woodruff key (or its angle) or the slot in the pulley part of the issue???
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Generator or alternator install fan and backing plates Reply with quote

Cusser, thanks.

The old pulley half was such a bitch to get off, I thought I'd have trouble with the new one. But it was very easy.

I went ahead and assumed that the aftermarket front pulley wasn't defective, then I lined up the Woodruff key, slipped the front half of the pulley on, then got all the shims, cone, nut, etc, and wrenched it all down. Basically, you just press the inner pulley on this way.. I'll do the rest tomorrow because I just painted the alternator sheet metal and it has to dry.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Gr8tfulEd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Generator or alternator install fan and backing plates Reply with quote

Sorry to pop an older thread, but I'm seriously befuddled.

I pulled the alternator on my 1979 to replace the voltage regulator. I marked the cooling tin on the back of the alternator, but like a (tired) knuckledhead, then cleaned everything up spick-and-span, and removed all of my set marks. Is there any way to tell if the cooling vent is pointed down like it's suppose to be, or up? I ask because now I can hear it sucking air, which I didn't notice before, and it sounds a bit like a blower kicking in at high RPMs. (I don't have a blower), and I can't remember if its up or down.

Thanks! I'm hoping not to have to pull the alternator again for a while.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Generator or alternator install fan and backing plates Reply with quote

Nice writeup. I remember when I did mine the woodruff key gave me the most problems.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Generator or alternator install fan and backing plates Reply with quote

Hoping this helps you
Jade
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Generator or alternator install fan and backing plates Reply with quote

Great write up. So, I've had a lot of frustration lately with mine. The alternator went bad so I replaced it with an aftermarket one (non-Bosch, non-German I believe as you can tell by the photos). Ran it for a few hundred miles over a few months, then heard a grinding sound when I shut it off.

That's no good. Pulled the alternator off and found this rounded out on the fan. Never, ever had this problem in all my years of dealing with VWs.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

OK, ordered a new cooling hub fan kit and replaced it on the alternator shaft with a new fan. I had a heck of a time getting the hub on the alternator shaft, I mean it's brand new but the keyway does not want to fit. Also the clearance between the fan and the backing plate is really close. I have to shim it quite a bit and add a spacer even on the alternator shaft to keep the fan from rubbing the backing plate. Sorry, no picture of that. Put everything back in the fan housing and it spins free as a bird, no rubbing so I put the belt back on. Double-check the nut on the fan is tight as heck.

Go for a test drive today and I'm having problems again as the nut came loose (again, I tightened the heck out of it). What is going on? I don't want to keep throwing parts at it, but I'm considering get a new Bosch alternator, backing plates, hub, etc.

kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Generator or alternator install fan and backing plates Reply with quote

There's a torque spec for the fan nut. Get a torque wrench.
Incorrect installation of the special fan lock washer is a big cause of
fan damage. Maybe you should post up a photo of the parts
you're using.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Jade
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Generator or alternator install fan and backing plates Reply with quote

kreemoweet wrote:
There's a torque spec for the fan nut. Get a torque wrench.
Incorrect installation of the special fan lock washer is a big cause of
fan damage. Maybe you should post up a photo of the parts
you're using.

You can see the fan lock washer in the picture above there of my engine bay sitting on the rear apron.

It's this one though:

kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Generator or alternator install fan and backing plates Reply with quote

I dunno, that lock washer looks kinda iffy.
Couldn't tell from photo, the hub has the flats that should lock in the fan and those other parts?
I assume the bent-up parts of lockwasher were installed towards nut?
All I can think of is parts made of Chinese cheese.
Bet if you sourced some original VW parts it would work OK. That's all I
have ever used, and never a problem.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Generator or alternator install fan and backing plates Reply with quote

Quote:
a torque spec for the fan nut

42ft/lbs, same as the alt/gen pulley nut torque
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BMFBMF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Generator or alternator install fan and backing plates Reply with quote

Great write up thanks a million.

I've got one question when you folks mentioned the vent being near the bottom, I don't quite understand what you are saying. is that the picture with the finger pointing to it, what exactly is the vent? is it something cut into the back plate?

Cheers and thanks again.
1971 Stock South African Beetle 1300 : My mom's european "Thin Chick" spec. Completely stock with torsion bar front, swingaxle rear, smooth hubs, single MC, 40 mm shoes, 31PICT3 carb and 5 bolt drums all round, currently Running a 1976 SF:AS engine with the original SF:AD engine overhauled in a box, waiting to go back in one day.
Jade
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Generator or alternator install fan and backing plates Reply with quote

Actually, when I look at it again mine didn't have the two bent tabs on it. It was a wavy washer. The original German design was a wavy washer also as you can see here:

Something that bothered me when I put it together was the gap here was really tight (sorry, borrowed a photo from earlier in the thread). Again, it was rubbing here between the fan and the backing plate really bad. I had to use shims on the hub coupler between the fan and the coupler as well as a spacer on the alternator shaft just to get it to not rub. I spin check everything once it was back in the fan shroud that everything was free and the fan was tight on the shaft.

What bothered me as well, still does, is this. A 2-3mm lip (not gap) around the alternator where it mates to the backing plate. Yes, I pulled the backing plate off the alternator as well to check everything, but it simply wouldn't go in any further.

Failer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Generator or alternator install fan and backing plates Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:

.... There is a spec measurement between fan and second backing plate, you increase this using shims between the hub and the fan.

Just wanted to add a little bit of info here, since I was doing this work just recently and referred back to this thread for the procedure.

The shims referred to are the same size as the one that adjust the fan belt tension on a stock pulley. I was putting in my new shiny fan to replace my old one that ripped out it's hub (yes, I will verify that putting the wavy washer on backwards is not going to end well) and it rubbed on the backing plate.

I never had washers in there, so I was kind of stuck when it said to adjust the spacing with shims. I thought I'd have to put the project on hold and order more. Nope, it's those, just as an FYI for everyone.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: