Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front Seat Swap (Town & Country 2nd Row)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap, (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

Quick test fit on my van for friend Simons seats. On passagenger side the seat was attached to a pair of stock vanagon slider rails. So you have fore and aft movement with both the stock slider ps and the f&c slider. Did this because I had spare seat rails and Simon wanted the extra movement to help the seat clear his centre console when rotating the seat.

the black leather looks good doesnt it?
Blog post here https://shufti.wordpress.com/2016/04/07/vanagon-20...row-seats/

Thanks again to freshdub for blazing this way.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Alistair
Old address still works...
http://shufti.wordpress.com
calfredson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:27 am    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap, (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

Hello Alistair,

I'd love to take a look at these seats in person in your (or your friend's) van. I'm in Nanaimo and make frequent trips down island.

Craig
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap, (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

Hey Craig,

Hoping I'll get the drivers side seat installed in Simons van in the next couple of days. So gimme a shout when in the neighbourhood, I'm sure Simon will show the seats off.

Alistair
Freshdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap, (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

Dang love the idea of having both sliders, wish the black leather would fit the scheme of my van. Really nice work there

Took the westy out for about a 3hour drive to camp this week. Ive had back surgery and the old seats after 3 hours I would definitely be a little rusty when moving around the campsite. Felt great this time and the ride was much more enjoyable with the armrests. The table over the drivers seat once camped added the right amount of useable space in the right spot. couldnt be happier.
The real test will be the 12hr drive to Sasquatch from calgary, but after driving around town a bunch and this first trip out, ive got a a feeling itll be the best sasqtrip yet
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap, (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

How does the seat base height compare to stock?
I like the look of these seats, I would want them in grey though.
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap, (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

Hey, so we got the drivers side seat in Simons can today.

Syncrodoka - I'm 6-2 and I have a finger width or maybe two of clearance between head and ceiling. It's certainly is no worse Thant the stock seats.

But there is something else going on with the seats, seat back positioning. I can get a comfortable driving position and also able to see the turn signal and high beam lights, and a lot more of the top of the speedo and tach than I can in my 86 ( no swivel in drivers seat) .

That alone makes the seat swap really tempting.

Pic of both seats in Simons van.

Alistair
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap, (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

Freshdub wrote:
Dang love the idea of having both sliders, wish the black leather would fit the scheme of my van. Really nice work there

Took the westy out for about a 3hour drive to camp this week. Ive had back surgery and the old seats after 3 hours I would definitely be a little rusty when moving around the campsite. Felt great this time and the ride was much more enjoyable with the armrests. The table over the drivers seat once camped added the right amount of useable space in the right spot. couldnt be happier.
The real test will be the 12hr drive to Sasquatch from calgary, but after driving around town a bunch and this first trip out, ive got a a feeling itll be the best sasqtrip yet

The seats look really good in the van. I can't vouch for comfort other than a the quick try outs when installing them. But they feel pretty nice

And did I mention they look really good? Smile Thanks again for being the pioneer on this Mark.

Alistair
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap, (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

Looks great. Cool

Freshdub- how comfortable are they compared to stock since you have had them installed for some time?
jerryherb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap, (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

Why would you not use the original westy rails on the driver side as well? assuming you had the spares, would it not work? i think older vanagon rails are separate from back support, are they not?
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap, (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

jerryherb wrote:
Why would you not use the original westy rails on the driver side as well? assuming you had the spares, would it not work? i think older vanagon rails are separate from back support, are they not?

A few reasons.

1. I only had one spare vanagon seat to salvage the rails from.
2. Used those in the passenger side as that seat was the one that swivels completely around at camp site. Simon has his propex heater installed in centre console, therefore console position fixed, and we were worried that the town and country seat adjustment wouldn't be sufficient to clear console.
3. It's a little bit of a pain to make slider release mechanism for the stock sliders. In the stock seat the slider release bar runs across the seat base, and has a couple of wire bail type springs that are trapped between seat and the rails. This stock lever would not work on the new seats. I made a substitute release mechanism that ends up as a wire bail at the front of the seat. You might be able to see a glimpse of it in one of the pics.

If I can find another old seat I would consider doing same with drivers seat. But it's not a problem as is.

Oh and yes, the rails on the vanagon seat are bolted to the seat base, but they do include the back hinge "ears". Those "ears" are pressed steel welded to the rails. I cut them off.

Addendum I should make it explicit that the town and country seats do have their own fore and aft adjustment slider mechanism, about 5-6" travel or so.

Alistair
calfredson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap, (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

So I am seriously considering pulling the trigger on a set of these seats, and I just want to confirm which style of seats I should be looking for. There seems to be a guy in Arizona with a bunch for sale. From the pictures, there are two styles, one like this:

and another like this:

The price difference (mostly) is because one is leather and the other cloth, but he seems to have many different colour/fabric choices for each. Should I be looking for the type with that extra bar in the photo (as per the leather) or without (as per the cloth)?
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap, (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

Hi,

I believe that the bar you see ( and some of the other stuff underneath) is part of the stow and go gubbins. You don't need all that stuff for the van install.

I really regret not taking more pics of the seat. But in essence you just need the bare seat. The sliding rails in the seat are not removable so the bottom view is just the rails/slider, the bar to adjust them, and a pig tail for the seat heater.

The ones I worked on had the stow and go stuff removed. There were a couple of cables cut and the short ends tucked up under the seat.

Does this help?

Go for the leather.

Alistair

Last edited by ragnarhairybreeks on Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap, (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

I really like the look and function of these seats, but would need to sit in them for a while to see how they feel. American cars don't have a very good reputation for building comfortable seats in anything but large mega-landyacht luxo-barges. Nice work pioneering this work, guys

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
simonslp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap, (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

Thought I should chime in and add a few pics.

Calfredson, the Arizona-based eBay seller you found is the one I used. I think he strips Town & Countries for handicap van conversions or somesuch. My seats were $300 US plus $125 shipping to Port Angeles Wa. I think the variance in price that you mentioned is partly due to the inclusion (or not) of the metal gubbins at the bottom of the seats, which are part of the stow&go system and not needed for the vanagon install. The seats are heated, leather and so far seem quite comfortable for me (still haven't done any marathon drives, which really caused me discomfort with the stock seats). Will post again when longer drives are done.

To give credit where it's due, much props to Freshdub for the idea and inspiration, and to Alistair for both engineering and realizing the installation. Thanks guys!

There are a bunch of things I really like about these seats... The leather looks and feels good and appears to be good quality, they are slim and firm but yet supportive, they are heated (not yet working, but seemingly possible), and they stow&go (fold up) to create more front space when needed. Oh, and the seats are slimmer with armrests up, allowing the seat to sit straight, not turned, when reversed with the door closed (could never do that with the stock Westy seats...).

Simon
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap, (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

I went down to the dealer today and checked them out. The armrests are on come kind of cam system and they pivot out from the body when they are turned down into position, so like simonslp mentioned they are slimmer when the armrests are up.
The armrests are narrow and not height adjustable. I don't know if that is a deal breaker or not but it is something that I noticed.
The leather isn't like crappy ford leather and the leather in a 50K mile '14 model were still in really good shape even though it was a obvious kid hauler. The seats are comfortable. I checked out the cloth and leather versions and they are both decent options.
I am glad that I went and looked at them but I am undecided if these seats are for me given the lack of long distance mile reviews, I am interested in hearing some though.

I did find a guy selling the seats in the Ventura area on craigslist with the search of bucket seat. He listed both in cloth and leather in black or tan. Same pix as the guy in AZ.
Quote:
Bucket Seats (2 PIECE)
CLOTH - BLACK AD TAN $150 PER SET
LEATHER - BLACK AND TAN $350 PER SET
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap, (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

those black leather look great and they have good prices on the black cloth ones
http://www.ebay.com/itm/set-2-BUCKET-SEATS-BLACK-CLOTH-new-unused-/130978643530

I have used greyhound to ship large packages (vw seats) before and works quite well if you have a depot near enough to you. GH has been 'shipping' since the 50's. who knew. Question
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap, (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

One question ive been wondering about , does the headrest just fold down and tuck in( looks like it but just want to make sure) no removing it right? And to the OP do you have power steering ? The wheel is smaller you might be able to lay the seat down all the way. I have one in my van right now and havent added the power steering yet, its not really noticeably difficult to steer. Nice write up thanks.
benandmj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap, (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

Just got me a pair of tan leather. Will report back when they arrive!
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap, (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

When you pull the lever for the seats to fold up the head rest folds flat against the backrest while collapsing. It is a spring assisted action so it happens quickly.
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap, (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
When you pull the lever for the seats to fold up the head rest folds flat against the backrest while collapsing. It is a spring assisted action so it happens quickly.

Cool thanks. Being able to recline more in the passenger seat would be nice. My only apprehension would be the non adjusting armrests. If i have mine up too high when using them it kind of creates tension in my neck and shoulders.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 30

Jump to: