Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front Seat Swap (Town & Country 2nd Row)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
superpink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

Just installed my Stow and Go's this weekend. As much as I love to keep my van original, I didn't want to spend 1K plus re-covering my original seats in the boogie woogie material. Plus, I needed armrests........

Thanks to dlb154, i followed his instructions and used his templates to get me where I needed to go.

About $300 is my total vested cost. Thanks to the scrap yard discoloring the leather cleaning the seats and me ordering the incorrect dye color, I feel these seats compliment the van nicely.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

Welcome! Impressive first post.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

Has anyone figured out how to make the heated ones heat?

I thought I did, but they don't work the way I tried.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric_Taylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

Another satisfied customer of this upgrade. I've wanted to do this for about a year and other projects just kept taking priority. I finally got it done and i'm really happy with the result. They look sharp and feel good. I didn't find th stock seats to be real uncomfortable in town, so the true test comes in a long drive. Initial impressions suggest it's going to be a great change. Highly recommended.

I used the Small Car brackets and wanted to say a little about them since I haven't heard much, if anything written about them.

These brackets are really nice. High quality and durable. The way they work makes great sense to me and I don't think the lack of adjustment is much an issue in my opinion. There are bolts that lock them down, and once you find a position, you should have more than enough adjustment, in my opinion. When they arrived, I felt like they were really worth the money. It makes so straightforward to do this upgrade with no real modifications any of the VW stuff. Any questions about these? Happy to answer since I saw no real info about them when I was trying to decide.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

Eric_Taylor wrote:

Another satisfied customer of this upgrade. I've wanted to do this for about a year and other projects just kept taking priority. I finally got it done and i'm really happy with the result. They look sharp and feel good. I didn't find th stock seats to be real uncomfortable in town, so the true test comes in a long drive. Initial impressions suggest it's going to be a great change. Highly recommended.

I used the Small Car brackets and wanted to say a little about them since I haven't heard much, if anything written about them.

These brackets are really nice. High quality and durable. The way they work makes great sense to me and I don't think the lack of adjustment is much an issue in my opinion. There are bolts that lock them down, and once you find a position, you should have more than enough adjustment, in my opinion. When they arrived, I felt like they were really worth the money. It makes so straightforward to do this upgrade with no real modifications any of the VW stuff. Any questions about these? Happy to answer since I saw no real info about them when I was trying to decide.

Those look sharp!

I used the Small Car brackets in my Bus, too. I agree, they seem plenty heavy duty. And, the amount of adjustment that come as a part of the Town and Country mechanism is more than plenty.

I still suggest lifting the front of the seats for increased comfort.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
Has anyone figured out how to make the heated ones heat?

I thought I did, but they don't work the way I tried.

I tried and tried and got it to work with the vanagon seat heater switch, but it would just get hotter and hotter. Thought it would melt down so I disabled it. Talked to a mechanic buddy about it and he suggested using the mopar relay and set up designed for these seats. I just ended up buying an aftermarket kit and installed that. 3years and its still working great. You will have to remove the dodge seat heater pads if you have them though, as they will not work with aftermarket kits. Not a big job, about an hour a seat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

campism wrote:
Reports from the allpar.com thread indicate that '12, '14 and '16 SNG have the auto folding headrests, but those are the only years responding so far. Might be safe to assume everything from '12 on folds. Maybe seats from '08-'11 do not have the auto-fold feature, but there's no evidence of that so far.

Not sure on the '12 model, but now I can confirm that the '13 for sure has the flip headrest. And, to boot, I got a set. In black fabric, no seat heater (2013 Caravan --- NOT GRAND). I paid $37 for the pair. I will get the rails, and install these, yet will still keep my eyes open for any Grey Leather ones that pop up. That Pull-A-Part lot is great!! Pics to come soon, I hope!

Now, where did those less expensive rails go again? Looked briefly through the thread, didn't see it again. Bad eyesight, I think..

-bobby
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

That's a really good price. Our Pick-a-Part places don't have vehicles newer than about '06 and the places that do have newer ones are not Pick-a-part places so the prices are much higher, $150 a pair for the the sets I've found so far.
dlb154
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

superpink wrote:

Thanks to dlb154, i followed his instructions and used his templates to get me where I needed to go.

You're welcome! Glad it was useful.

Can you please post any info on dying the material? Yours are two-toned and I haven't seen that before. I might want to dye mine to a gray...
Thanks.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

campism wrote:
That's a really good price. Our Pick-a-Part places don't have vehicles newer than about '06 and the places that do have newer ones are not Pick-a-part places so the prices are much higher, $150 a pair for the the sets I've found so far.

I was quite pleased to find a newer one come in, usually the newest stuff is ~2010. Also, there is a brother/sister company right next door that, interestingly enough, does have the newer seats, in black Leather and a heater circuit, for .. you guessed it $150 a pair.

I struggled with that disconnect for a few months. I will get rails of some sort, put these cloth ones in, and know that there will be '12-onward seats in grey leather that WILL come in at some point, and get them, for under $50 a pair (there was a 20% off sale last weekend, as chance would have it).

Still entertaining the idea of the fleabay seat rails:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Single-1-Racing-Seat-Slid...Swe-NeRIhf

Anyone done these rails on the original seats designated in the OP's thread here? (the Town & Country S&G seats)

-bobby
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
campism wrote:

I was quite pleased to find a newer one come in, usually the newest stuff is ~2010. Also, there is a brother/sister company right next door that, interestingly enough, does have the newer seats, in black Leather and a heater circuit, for .. you guessed it $150 a pair.

I struggled with that disconnect for a few months. I will get rails of some sort, put these cloth ones in, and know that there will be '12-onward seats in grey leather that WILL come in at some point, and get them, for under $50 a pair (there was a 20% off sale last weekend, as chance would have it).

Still entertaining the idea of the fleabay seat rails:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Single-1-Racing-Seat-Slid...Swe-NeRIhf

Anyone done these rails on the original seats designated in the OP's thread here? (the Town & Country S&G seats)

-bobby

I'm not real sure what those rails get you.

From the pics, they actually look very similar to the rails that should be attached to the seat when you get them from the salvage yard!

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
superpink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

dlb154 wrote:
superpink wrote:

You're welcome! Glad it was useful.

Can you please post any info on dying the material? Yours are two-toned and I haven't seen that before. I might want to dye mine to a gray...
Thanks.

I ordered the dye from autoleatherdye.com and dyed the actual leather only. Everything that is beige on my seats is more of a vinyl and I didn't want to take a chance on it cracking or pealing off. I'm not saying that it will crack of peel, I just didn't want to risk it. I think the kit was somewhere around $60.00 shipped for the cleaner/prep, cleaning cloth and the dye. I taped off the areas I didn't want dyed but be warned, your taped areas may bleed through and you need to clean the "overspray (aka- the access coverage)" with water before it dries or you'll have dye remaining where you don't want it. It also gives off a new leather smell so my van no longer has that odd VW smell for the time being....

Looking at your install, you might want to seriously re-consider before dying them gray. Those black seats compliment your interior nicely.

Last edited by superpink on Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
superpink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

Before and after:

superpink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

campism wrote:
Welcome! Impressive first post.

Thank you!
dlb154
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

Thanks for the dye info and your recommendation to not dye mine gray. Yours look great with just the center panels altered.
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

One more time.

I think I am going to make my Owen brackets. I have three sets of vanagon seats and I think I will sacrifice one set for the seat tracks. with all the information On this thread I don’t think it will be a big deal.
I might die the center’s dark brown like Superpink. I really like the way that looks. A very custom Look. John
t3 kopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

Very happy with the swap i just did. I got mine from an 09 Grand Caravan at the pick n pull in VA Beach for 20 bucks each. A lot of the ones there had the front seat too far back to lift the cover in the floor up but then i found the one i needed. I read that you can get the front seats to move manually with a torx bit but i didn't have any in my bag. I also noticed that, out of 4 2005 models, 2 had stow n go seats and 2 didn't. The 05 model ones looked just like the ones from the 09 i got but were leather. After these pics were taken, i went at them a second time with a drill brush attachment and carpet cleaner and got them looking just about brand new. I also ended up taking the seat belt receivers off, which left a visible hole in that part of the seat. Any advice on what to do about the hole there? It's not bad looking but its just not perfect. The seats themselves are definitely a vast improvement and so much easier to adjust. I used the smallcar brackets. I had to take the cover off my driver side battery compartment because my battery is a group 78 and just slightly too tall to close the cover and put the seat all the way back. Next up is to replace my seat belts as they rusted considerably while i was overseas.

BCgee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

Stow n Go black w red trim seat set in our 87 Syncro hightop with swivel base for passenger. We really enjoy the compact nature and increased recline range, and I feel the seats are more comfortable over long hauls than my abused OEM Weekender seats, YMMV. The stow function is very helpful in utilizing the front during base camp mode with kids. Two thumbs up, would recommend.

82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

One more take on putting Town and Country seats in the front of a Vanagon. I started out - taking the tracks off of my old seats and following the directions of FRX on page 5. There is no question in my mind that if you are driving a tin top this is the easiest and best way to do it, and that sets your seats at exactly the same height as the newer tin top seats. Unfortunately, part of the reason I did the swap is because I had the later model tin top seats on the swivel bases on my Westy, and it just plain puts the seats too high up. So with my van being an 82 with manual steering, it is just too difficult to get in and out of the vehicle with the seat at that height. From there, I mounted the Town and Country seat right to the swivel base like C2MRDALE did, but I can never do things the easy way.

In my case, I just made two brackets out of 1 1/2 inch steel. I made them long enough so that I could put the back two bolts right through the swivel base and the front two bolts bolt to the front of the swivel base. Like C2MRDALE, I had to narrow my swivel base.

I didn't cut mine back as far as C2MRDALE. I cut it back just to the point where I can still use the stock seat, but I narrowed it up.

There is only a little more than 1/8th an inch clearance between the inside of the upholstery on the seat and the swivel base.

As you an see, the seat is sitting right on the carpet. It is as low as it can possibly go. I may go ahead and put some small 1/8 or 1/4 inch spacers just to give me a bit more room between the seat and the carpet.

Picture of the seat installed. Although the cloth seat may not go perfectly with the dark brown carpets and the door panels, it completely matches the Westy cabinets. So I feel like it is a really good match to the van.

I now feel like I have more space between the seat and the steering wheel than I did with the original Westy seats, and it would be very easy for me to adjust it higher if I felt that was necessary. Now getting in and out of the van is not a problem. John
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

If you have not yet installed a driver's side grab handle, like the one on the passenger's side, you won't believe the improvement in entry assist.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Page 24 of 30

Jump to: