Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front Seat Swap (Town & Country 2nd Row)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

Yesterday morning I was loading up the Van with furniture and boxes to run them out to Pennsylvania.

I'm taking out some buckets of gravel for my driveway too.

I filled a five gallon pail and lifted it to set it inside the sliding door.....
i could feel the pop as pain shot up my back!

Crap!
Of all days......

Gotta do it, no backing out so I endured the pain and finished loading, climbed in and took off for Reading.

These Stow and Go seats supported my sore back perfectly!
I could not have designed a seat better if I wanted to.

The drive was pain free...... getting in and out? Unloading? Well............

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

Edit: oops I thought this was YOUR thread Dave, not the stow & go thread.
and I appreciate your posting here was meant to say how nice the back supportive merits of the Stow and Go are.. and for that I look forward to getting mine installed someday.

that's odd that they don't have stone in PA?

I mean really stone isn't free to transport.. as you noticed in your back..

at your age you should know better though I know often times one doesn't till too late.. that saving $50 in stone can cost you $500 in chiropractor fees.
classic example of Penny wise is a pound foolish..
protect YOUR body above all else man.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

Stone is off topic, but I've a pile of it here free for the taking.

I've been taking out a few pails every run I make. It would have happened if I picked up a box of books or dishes too. It wasn't the stone, it was the lift and the pop in the back.
It happens ....... it will heal and I'll do it again I'm sure.

The seats really were simply amazing for me and my lower back pain.
I want to take one out and bring it into the house to sit on!

But I'd probably hurt my back getting it off the tracks........ Laughing

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
whafalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

[quote="vwwestyman"]
vwwestyman wrote:
Welp I'm planning to join this club sometime soon. For my '78 Bus.

fxr wrote:
Did mine over the last couple of days. I was very happy with the ebay seller - the seats were very well protected and packaged, and arrived promptly.

My old, manky, non-OEM seats did have slides for the turntables, so I made some brackets from some 1/8" 1"x1" steel angle to marry them to the seats. I cut four 420mm lengths, drilled 8mm clearances holes - the VW slides are 387mm between centres, and the T&C seats are 240mm between centres - and chopped a bit more off each one to give clearance for odd tabs and things on the slides.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I had to straighten out the VW adjusting rod so it didn't foul the new seat. Total extra cost including a few hack-saw blades and some 8mm nuts and washers was less than $20, even buying the angle-iron from Ace (it's at the end of my road...).

Mrs fxr is very pleased, and *loves* the armrests. Wink

Seats are on the way, westy with a big steering wheel and I will harvest the tracks so fxr's approach looks great. The picture makes great sense, but,
the text says he cut 4 lengths of angle iron. I only see 2,
What am I missing?
Twan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

Probably a pair for each seat, if I had to venture a guess.
whafalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

Well color me Duh! Rolling Eyes
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
I installed mine this weekend. Passenger seat rocks. Driver side with the big manual steering wheel is not good. I've got some huge thunder thighs. It's honestly hard for me to exit the van. I might try adjusting it again but I think I'll be sitting at 90degree angle.

This issue has been happily resolved with a smaller steering wheel and electric power assisted steering. It is nice to hop in the van very easily
nij_tp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

Just got the SmallCar brackets this weekend. So now I have to make a decision, I sort of cornered the market in S&G seats and I have a grey set, a black set and a black with red stitching set all leather. Need to make a decision on which color to fit in the van. will 'probably' go with the grey as the back seat is grey(ish).

I think I know the answer to this issue but asking it anyway..... the heated option is a no go on these, correct? I heard that they just heat and heat and there is no way to control them, or has someone made them work with a collection of bits from a T&C and some bailing twine and duct tape?

Thanks in advance.
1989 Vanagon GL a parts bus
1984 Westralia
2006 Audi A4 2.0T with a unitronic tune
2007 Toyota Sequoia
1976 Mercury Capri 2.3l
1986 Honda Shadow VT700
2000 Suzuki Intruder VS800
1988 Kawasaki Voyager XII
2018 Chonda Hawk 250cc
1995 Subaru SVX (possible 3.3. swap)
nij_tp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

The SmallCar brackets are a simple (but effective) design. I have long legs and in the van, originally I cut an addition slot for the seat to go back further. Unfortunately my Vanagon is at a shop having a bunch of under dash stuff done so I am unable to test the fit and see if the leg room is going to work or if I will need to adapter the adapters Smile.

One negative comment I have is that they are badly finished and look like the person didn't really care, when I contacted Small Car their reply was less than I would have hoped for.

"It’s just paint you won’t even see the brackets once installed." (Verbatim from email reply)

This statement is indeed 100% accurate and true, but not what I would expect. I cant see the pistons but I would hope they are correct, I cant see wiring under the dash so should I not care, I cant see inside the converted harness for a Subie install, but I would hope that a modicum of care was taken. It felt a little like, we have had your money, you've received something, go away.

1984 Westralia
2007 Toyota Sequoia
1976 Mercury Capri 2.3l
1986 Honda Shadow VT700
2018 Chonda Hawk 250cc
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

I stopped in at Smallcar during a fly & rental car PNW trip and was given a tour of the place and met several of the crew. Although not a paying customer of theirs, I'm surprised by that response.
nij_tp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

I've purchased from them before this and I expect I will again in the future, just found it to be disappointing, this time
1984 Westralia
2007 Toyota Sequoia
1976 Mercury Capri 2.3l
1986 Honda Shadow VT700
2018 Chonda Hawk 250cc
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

You could take them to a local powder coater and have them blasted and coated. The welds look good which is more important.
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

nij_tp wrote:
I've purchased from them before this and I expect I will again in the future, just found it to be disappointing, this time

I can repaint them for you. They'll probably look just as bad though Laughing
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

I have been a customer of SC since my first bug in 1981 when I was 17...The attitude you described has been pretty much ongoing since then. They might surprise you with actual customer service when you catch Brian in a good mood, but don't count on it.

Apparently it got so bad at one point, someone was selling "Small Car Sucks" T-shirts at one of the bug national races at SIR about 20 years ago...Every now and then I still see one at the Vintage Meet.

Regardless of their service, you can't deny their innovation and getting products to market. Like that seat base - they are the only option I know of. But I get where you are coming from, for $160 it would be nice to have the bracket powder coated, or at least sprayed decently.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

This just makes me giggle! Something anybody can do for themselves, and would probably look even worse, getting a bad review... sure, they look crappy. Do they work?

Mine look crappy, and they work. I never see them. I wish they were a half inch shorter tho. Not sure of how that can happen tho.

I didn't want to make my own, and hadn't heard of the "small car sucks" t-shirts. Now I want one Wink

Whom ever painted those (yours and mine) was obviously having a Monday morning, or working into the afternoon on Saturday.
nij_tp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

I even said

"The SmallCar brackets are a simple (but effective) design.":

I get your points ((MarkWard) & bobbyblack) that I could get them powder coated or we could do it ourselves and it could look worse, but that's why I paid hard earned $ on it from a 'professional' company.

"Small Car Performance has designed this bracket to our high quality standards." Taken directly from their website for this item. The design may be high quality but the execution is lackluster

It was just the total lack of customer care (not what I wanted to write, but public forum) that irked me.

Put me down for a 2xl Tee as well! (Long sleeve and Short in Navy) Smile
1984 Westralia
2007 Toyota Sequoia
1976 Mercury Capri 2.3l
1986 Honda Shadow VT700
2018 Chonda Hawk 250cc
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

Huh,

Well, I'm usually a 'one and done' guy, but this has gone about as far as I care to hear. SHUT IT DOWN, this thread is NOT about YOU and your issues with a particular vendor, or a bad paint job on something that YOU'LL NEVER SEE AGAIN.

As the English would say "Get OFF!"
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

Franklinstower wrote:
.......Small Car ..... Like that seat base - they are the only option I know of. But I get where you are coming from, .........

This isn't true at all. There are other track options........

These adapters even slide!
I did find them a bit snug in the Van's welded in track but a quick swipe with a file fixed that.

djkeev wrote:

https://www.vw-t3-bus-shop.de/sitzadapter-fur-sportscraft-armlehnensitz-s91s81

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

Using my Stow N Go seats again, I do have one issue ...... minor as it is...... but my left elbow will fall off the arm rest in certain bumpy road conditions.

The armrests are indeed narrow.......... but....... I'm adjusting to it!
Or maybe I'm just just old now without good muscle tone? Laughing

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
Vanabon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

Dave, keep lifting those buckets and you will rebuild your muscles Wink)) I checked VW Bulli's website, and the brackets are currently out of stock, but they look great! Thanks for the info on the option!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Page 27 of 30

Jump to: