Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel in luggage rack
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:27 am    Post subject: Fuel in luggage rack Reply with quote

So, I've seen a few things posted on here before about carrying jerry cans in the luggage rack, as well as some people wondering why the hell you would want to carry fuel up there. The dilemma I'm in is that I need to carry some extra fuel, but don't have a rear tire swing or anything like that to mount one to.

That got me wondering, how do people who don't have a mount in the back carry around extra fuel?

My only two thoughts right now without making major mods are:

1. The simple solution is something in the luggage rack. One option is a jerry can, but that's really heavy and I don't even think I'll need a full 5 gallons. Maybe I would just fill it part way? The other option is a rotopax in there.

2. Mount a rotopax 2 gallon under the van between some of the frame rails. I haven't been able to measure the dimensions to see if this would actually fit.

Rotopax seem expensive to me, but I don't see any other good option besides a jerry can.

If anyone wants to share their setup or ideas, I'd love to hear!
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel in luggage rack Reply with quote

If I had to carry fuel in the luggage rack I'd want to use the most indestructible container available, maybe rotopax. That way when I found myself inadvertently rear ending the car in front of me I don't launch an open gas can thru their rear window..... Shocked

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
DwarfVader
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel in luggage rack Reply with quote

I could have swore there was a commercial product for something of this nature... but I'm having a hell of a time finding one.

Link

Basically a jerry can holder that goes in your hitch...

You could also get one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Basket-Style-Bumper-Carrier-Capacity/dp/B00EF3VOSU
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Cheaper than installing swing away, though not by a lot.

I'll find my van someday, or it will find me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
zak99B5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel in luggage rack Reply with quote

DwarfVader wrote:

You could also get one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Basket-Style-Bumper-Carrier-Capacity/dp/B00EF3VOSU

Cheaper than installing swing away, though not by a lot.

Harbor Freight has this for half that price.
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel in luggage rack Reply with quote

I wouldn't overthink it. Just buy a small (2 gallon or so) plastic gas container like you would use to fill your lawnmower and make sure to strap it down well.

Sure, jerry cans look cool attached to the back of vans but perhaps are overkill in many situations?
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel in luggage rack Reply with quote

blackglasspirate wrote:

If anyone wants to share their setup or ideas, I'd love to hear!

I had bought a metal jerry can because I was concerned about UV and plastic. After one trip with it in the luggage rack I decided I wanted it mounted safer and more accessible.
I happened to have a bike rack:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7201830

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel in luggage rack Reply with quote

take a stroll over in the bay forum, it's a veritable requirement west of the mississippi Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel in luggage rack Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips, guys. I like the different ideas. Last trip I went on I had a small ~2 gallon plastic container but was worried that on a longer trip it may not last. I vaguely remember it expanding/contracting quite a bit. Since I'll be living out of my van for 6-12 months, I wanted to make sure it would last.
Then again, I could start with that and if it doesn't last, move on to the next option.

The hitch and bike rack ideas are good too. Somehow (don't ask how), I lost my hitch so I'd have to get another for that to work.
herramiento
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel in luggage rack Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
If I had to carry fuel in the luggage rack I'd want to use the most indestructible container available, maybe rotopax. That way when I found myself inadvertently rear ending the car in front of me I don't launch an open gas can thru their rear window..... Shocked

Is it better to launch the bomb when you rear end someone, or crush the bomb when you get rear ended?

We carried an empty one around in our luggage rack for a while. We wanted the flexibility of the extra range. I think we only ended up filling it twice over 8 months, so it was only full in the luggage rack for a couple of days each time. VERY well secured, of course.
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel in luggage rack Reply with quote

blackglasspirate wrote:
I had a small ~2 gallon plastic container but was worried that on a longer trip it may not last. I vaguely remember it expanding/contracting quite a bit.

Yeah, they do that. The (DOT approved) one that we use at work to top off generators, spends most of the year sitting in the elements outside the office building when it's not in the back of a pick up truck. It's going on 5+ years now and is in fine shape.
michaelasnider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel in luggage rack Reply with quote

I mounted QuickFist XL rubber clamps in my luggage rack, they hold a can. I have one gas and two water, with the intent of extended ranges and camping.

squegee_boy did it first:

GWTWTLW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel in luggage rack Reply with quote

Being someone that's rolled my van and landed on the roof, I don't know that I'd want to be strapped in hanging upside down with leaking fuel cans right underneath my head.
michaelasnider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel in luggage rack Reply with quote

GWTWTLW wrote:
Being someone that's rolled my van and landed on the roof, I don't know that I'd want to be strapped in hanging upside down with leaking fuel cans right underneath my head.

There's also the benefit versus a rear mounted can that it won't explode if I get rear-ended, which seems entirely more likely to happen.
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel in luggage rack Reply with quote

michaelasnider wrote:
that it won't explode if I get rear-ended, which seems entirely more likely to happen.

Exactly. You could also misjudge your ground clearance and tear open the OEM gas tank on a jagged rock. Even then, it's unlikely that your van would explode.

It would be helpful to Google "risk assessment matrix" when these sorts of discussions come up. One needs to temper their perception of a hazard with an understanding of how likely a scenario is to occur versus the severity of an outcome.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel in luggage rack Reply with quote

What about the Mercedes spare tire gas can?

Available on Ebay from time-to-time. Then you have a bomb under your feet, but there are trade offs for everything, I reckon. Smile

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel in luggage rack Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:

Now THAT is cool! Do you know if it would fit inside a 14" alloy? If so, I could put it right next to the other "bomb" that's right beneath my feet.
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel in luggage rack Reply with quote

michaelasnider wrote:

There's also the benefit versus a rear mounted can that it won't explode if I get rear-ended, which seems entirely more likely to happen.

Mine is mounted high enough that this would be unlikely unless I was rear-ended by another Vanagon. Wink

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel in luggage rack Reply with quote

SCM wrote:
joetiger wrote:

Now THAT is cool! Do you know if it would fit inside a 14" alloy? If so, I could put it right next to the other "bomb" that's right beneath my feet.

I know that they were discussed years ago but I don't know if anybody here ever bought one. I think the Mercedes ones might have only been available in Europe. There are several for sale in Germany and Austria on Ebay right now.

BMW also made one. here's a rather pricey one available domestically. I didn't see any size specs but they might be in the listing somewhere:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-gas-can-fits-in-spare-...mp;vxp=mtr

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
noganav
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel in luggage rack Reply with quote

I've got a BMW round spare gas can mounted inside my Burley swing away tire carrier. Modded it to turn the spare tire around and then used a threaded thule knob to lock the gas can in place.

Cool

I'll post pics next time I've got my spare tire cover off.

The one I have is for a 15' rim. It won't fit in a 14 unfortunately. They can be pretty pricey. I looked for a while and found a deal. Mine was on german ebay, but there was a spelling mistake so I got it for the reserve, about 35 euros. It cost another 30 bucks to have it delivered here.
michaelasnider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel in luggage rack Reply with quote

photogdave wrote:
michaelasnider wrote:

Mine is mounted high enough that this would be unlikely unless I was rear-ended by another Vanagon. Wink

Ha I'll be driving around looking for ya!

A 3/4 or 1 ton pickup or really any other truck could probably hit most mounted on the rear.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: