Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My First Bus / 1970 / Non Walk Through / Bench Seats
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
WithTheFlow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:40 am    Post subject: My First Bus / 1970 / Non Walk Through / Bench Seats Reply with quote

I just bought my first bus, a partially restored 1970 Bay Window from Green Bay Wisconsin. We drove her 125 miles to Wisconsin Dells to my farm. She ran great! When stopped at a red light she turned off and we couldn't get her started. With an orchestra of horns honking behind us, I ran out a started pushing her while my brother steered her to the gas station. I was surprised at how easy it was to push. We couldnt get her started, we used a jump, and then after a while the engine finally turned over and she ran. What a relief. We tried our best to not come to a complete stop again. (blowing stop signs, and inching through red lights) We got pulled over going 43 in a 25 (the speed limit changed all of a sudden and we were going downhill). Suprisingly she kept on running even as were stopped. We finally got her home ticket-free Very Happy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

WithTheFlow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: My First Bus / 1970 / Non Walk Through / Bench Seats Reply with quote

Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: My First Bus / 1970 / Non Walk Through / Bench Seats Reply with quote

Looks like a pretty solid start, congrats!
That engine needs some love. Replace your fuel lines now!!!! Smile

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: My First Bus / 1970 / Non Walk Through / Bench Seats Reply with quote

Welcome!
Nice bus you have there, lots of potential.

You'll want to read up on fuel line replacement, cooling tin seals and general engine cleanup. The dying at stops could be from overheating, tight valves, poor carb adjustment or the lack of a real aircleaner, likely a combination of many things. An engine cleanup and tune up would be first on my list assuming the brakes work well.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
boundstaffpress
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: My First Bus / 1970 / Non Walk Through / Bench Seats Reply with quote

Looks like a great project. I'm kind of partial to the 8 and 9 passenger setups.

Building a 73 Super Beetle with my kids.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
panic_fan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: My First Bus / 1970 / Non Walk Through / Bench Seats Reply with quote

nice bus. Love that 70 brilliant blue.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=291988&highlight=

"Still learnin the way around my VW bay"
Teal Bay Bus
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WithTheFlow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: My First Bus / 1970 / Non Walk Through / Bench Seats Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
An engine cleanup and tune up would be first on my list assuming the brakes work well.

The brakes work well. He put in a new master cylinder. I need to fix the parking break though. Right now we are just leaving it in gear when parked
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: My First Bus / 1970 / Non Walk Through / Bench Seats Reply with quote

you're blowing a large portion of your cooling air out into the compartment with the open heater air ducts
and w/o a engine seal to the body your sucking in alot of the already super heated air.
it's wallowing in it's own heated air.
you MUST remedy this ASAP before you are looking for a new motor too.
soo many new(old) vws die this new owner death. it's lost it's humor.

but congrats, it's a good start to a satisfying (at times) and money stealing (at times) hobby (obsession at times)
WithTheFlow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: My First Bus / 1970 / Non Walk Through / Bench Seats Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:

you MUST remedy this ASAP before you are looking for a new motor too.

I am not driving at all until I get her up to par. I will fix that immediately. The photo is from the craigslist ad. We were going to fix it there but forgot the hose from excitement. Thank you for the heads up!
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: My First Bus / 1970 / Non Walk Through / Bench Seats Reply with quote

Welcome to TheSamba!

Here is a little information. Good Luck

Pictures would be cool.
How to post photos/How to post a photo in the Forums

Pronunciation (Samba) English

I am thinking of buying a VW van
Cleaning+Rodents+Hantavirus
Up in smoke... Bus fires... don't let it happen to you!
M-Plate Location
M-Plate Decoder Volkswagen Type 2 Bus
Bus VIN / Chassis Numbers
Type 2/Bus Owner's Manuals
Bus repair manuals
Bus parts manuals
Early Baywindow Bus Parts Book
Late Baywindow Bus Parts Fiche
Type 2 Wiring Diagrams
Model and Year Variations
Type 4: Secrets Revealed
Distributor Parts & Specifications
PARTS INTERCHANGE MANUAL
Youtube Videos

There is a ton of information located at the top of the Forum section.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: My First Bus / 1970 / Non Walk Through / Bench Seats Reply with quote

That's a solid bus from being in the North East. I'm seeing some of the common rust under the windshield rubber and in the lower panels but overall, not bad.. I like the color as well.

Lots of great information on this site, in this forum with nice folks to answer your questions.

After you get the mechanicals dialed in, you should consider attacking the rust issues before it get too bad.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mlesniak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: My First Bus / 1970 / Non Walk Through / Bench Seats Reply with quote

Also when "withtheflow" and I drove the bus back, on our first stop we noticed that the carb was leaking continuously at the bottom of the throttle lever.
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: My First Bus / 1970 / Non Walk Through / Bench Seats Reply with quote

the mods will most likely want you to keep all your questions regarding your bus in your new bus thread, unless it is posted to an existing thread. you will get more help if all your questions are in one place. (talking about your separate sliding door thread. lots of available info if you use the search)
Great looking bus, and amazing condition bench seats!
mlesniak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: My First Bus / 1970 / Non Walk Through / Bench Seats Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
(talking about your separate sliding door thread. lots of available info if you use the search)
!

I posted the sliding door thread... Withtheflow is my brotha. i told him to make a more official thread so he can formally introduce himself and his first bus
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: My First Bus / 1970 / Non Walk Through / Bench Seats Reply with quote

ah. from the pics I assumed same poster. that's what I get for only looking at the pretty pictures!
WithTheFlow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: My First Bus / 1970 / Non Walk Through / Bench Seats Reply with quote

I am going to be replacing the fuel lines first. No one seems to agree on which fuel lines to use. I was wondering if anyone had any success with these :

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pn.aspx?sku=12855...RoC-kLw_wc
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: My First Bus / 1970 / Non Walk Through / Bench Seats Reply with quote

WithTheFlow wrote:
I am going to be replacing the fuel lines first. No one seems to agree on which fuel lines to use. I was wondering if anyone had any success with these :

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pn.aspx?sku=12855...RoC-kLw_wc

I've completely lost faith in any braided hose, too many premature failures lately. I use the Goodyear fuel injection hose with the blue inner liner from my local FLAPS, the closest imperial size is 1/4 " but it easily squeezes down onto the fittings with good quality FI rated clamps (not the worm ones). Others claim to be happy with this stuff if you are bent on metric sized line https://www.belmetric.com/rhm5-flennor-multifuel-hose-5mm-p-3718.html?cPath=14_662

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
WithTheFlow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: My First Bus / 1970 / Non Walk Through / Bench Seats Reply with quote

Yes I wasn,t sure if the 1.35mm difference was going to be too much. Thanks. I'll look around for the goodyear ones and continue my research! Much appreciated
Colonel Mosby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: My First Bus / 1970 / Non Walk Through / Bench Seats Reply with quote

Terrific bus. You can get this up and going with a little time and patience. Try and learn how to do as much of this yourself as you can. There are a lot of nice people on Samba to guide you along. One day down the road pop out your windshield and take care of the rust in that windshield frame area.
WithTheFlow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: My First Bus / 1970 / Non Walk Through / Bench Seats Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to doing the work myself and developing a relationship with the bus! My brother is helping me out too. I can use all the advice I can get ! Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 15

Jump to: