Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Could 1/2 VW engine get 60 MPG or more?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wayne S. Johnson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject: Could 1/2 VW engine get 60 MPG or more? Reply with quote

I found two cylinder modification plans for a VW engine.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://tinkersource.com/engines/volkswagen-engine-conversion-plans

Link

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Could 1/2 VW engine get 60 MPG or more? Reply with quote

Quote:

Do you mean in it's intended use as an airplane engine, or do you mean if it was slapped in a stock Bug?

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wayne S. Johnson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Could 1/2 VW engine get 60 MPG or more? Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
Quote:

Do you mean in it's intended use as an airplane engine, or do you mean if it was slapped in a stock Bug?

Hi Andy,
Slapped in a stock Bug.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Could 1/2 VW engine get 60 MPG or more? Reply with quote

My opinion, is it would be so underpowered in the power-to-weight ratio that you'd have to floor it all the time in a vain hope to keep up with traffic. And that would kill the economy.

Now if you built a special much-lightened vehicle and geared the transaxle to match the power curve, that would would be a different story.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
HRVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Could 1/2 VW engine get 60 MPG or more? Reply with quote

Laughing Got news for some here.

Back in the late 70's as a engine builder had some spare time (weekends) and a pile of junk parts in a far corner so took a wiped out case, 30/30 crank, two P/C, two junk heads, set of used MB, CB, two good rods.

They were used for 1/3 only while did install two pistons backwards into cyls to hold the heads straight and block off the oil splashing.

Assemble the rest as a normal 1600 top end and installed into my 70 bug.

Yes, it was underpowered but did go down the Fwy at 35 mph.

The setup is feasible if used in a lighter vehicle would be the best route.

Maybe a trike will work and a BALANCED engine would be a MUST thing to consider.

Everything I used was scrap parts into a 1970 bug just to see if it would work.

(VW Mechanic/Engine Builder/Parts House owner of 28 yrs)

EDIT: Almost forgot, did have a customer that had a VW airplane and I worked on the engine at the hanger for FREE if he gave me a ride. Never got the ride but he did install a straight 6 cyl engine for more power but died in a crash after hitting the steel support wire between those high tension power towers......sliced the wing in half. Another customer working for the Air safety board investigated the crash so I heard some of the details.
usmc1345
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Could 1/2 VW engine get 60 MPG or more? Reply with quote

I bet your glad you didn't take that free ride after all. Could have been on that flight...... Pretty interesting though seeing half a engine. Kinda cute really.
volksnhousin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Could 1/2 VW engine get 60 MPG or more? Reply with quote

Jimmy111 has done this and talks about it here.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2...;start=160
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: