Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shady Boy out of fashion? (light-weight awning, that is)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: shady boy out of fashion? the light weight awning that is Reply with quote

Lots of camping chair threads like this one: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=592806

Can we please stay on topic? It really helps those searching threads in the future.

Thanks. Smile
TequilaSunSet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: shady boy out of fashion? the light weight awning that is Reply with quote

ThankYouJerry wrote:
^^^ That looks cool. I like the size and the domed roof like the SB. More details? Size? How's it attached to the van? Etc?

3 small ratchet style plastic wood clamps
Clamp to the rails and put away the 2 other poles away
I think it's 10x10
1967 Bug- Gone
1964 Euro Sunroof Bug- Gone
1969/72/63 Sunroof Bug- Gone
1975 Brazilian Bug in the Philippines 🇵🇭- New to me
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: shady boy out of fashion? the light weight awning that is Reply with quote

Pretty sweet. Looked bigger than the SB's 10'x6'. Got a brand name or P/N?
chase4food
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: shady boy out of fashion? the light weight awning that is Reply with quote

ThankYouJerry wrote:
Lots of camping chair threads like this one: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=592806&highlight=chairs

Can we please stay on topic? It really helps those searching threads in the future.

Thanks. Smile

Wow! I just don't see how one can or should refrain from replying to a remark someone made about something they see in a photo of your van. I can see if the discussions continue incessently and lead the thread to stray way off topic.

what Isolde wants Isolde doesn't always get, 4 I know what is best for her - Liebe macht frei
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: shady boy out of fashion? the light weight awning that is Reply with quote

^^^ Just politely suggesting we keep the thread on topic before there are 3 pages about everyones' favorite camping chairs in an "awning thread". Happens a lot.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Shady Boy out of fashion? (light-weight awning, that is) Reply with quote

ThankYouJerry wrote:
^^^ That looks cool. I like the size and the domed roof like the SB. More details? Size? How's it attached to the van? Etc?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=526589
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Shady Boy out of fashion? (light-weight awning, that is) Reply with quote

Just as an FYI ..... Tequilla sunsets awning is NLA from Kmart but is on Amazon for much more money......

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=526589&start=60

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: shady boy out of fashion? the light weight awning that is Reply with quote

chase4food wrote:
For me it is the light weight, and relatively resistance to breeze - a safety and property damage concern.
The breeze they have there will make a Fiamma dangerous to be left deployed.

The more light-weight a fabric is, the more susceptible it is to flapping in the wind, same goes for a heavier fabric with little tension on it. Both the Shady Boy and a Fiamma-style awning will flap around in wind. Awnings with parallel, side rafter arms (Trans-Awn, EZ-Awn, ARB) can have inexpensive deflappers added to cut down on flapping even more:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I've had my Trans-Awn deployed in pretty good wind over the years. Staking the poles to the ground (I rarely use the body brackets now), adding guy-lines and deflappers keeps the awning quite stable. It is obviously heavier than a Shady Boy, but I removed the tension springs out of the roller, which shaved off quite a bit of weight.

The Fiamma45 has a deflapper kit, but it costs nearly as much as the dang awning! Surprised

I can see the benefit of the Shady Boy, but for the money, I'd take an ARB in a heartbeat.
2016 Golf GTI S
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chase4food
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: shady boy out of fashion? the light weight awning that is Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
The more light-weight a fabric is, the more susceptible it is to flapping in the wind, same goes for a heavier fabric with little tension on it. Both the Shady Boy and a Fiamma-style awning will flap around in wind. Awnings with parallel, side rafter arms (Trans-Awn, EZ-Awn, ARB) can have inexpensive deflappers added to cut down on flapping even more...

The relative unique attribute of Shady Boy is it is structurally built like a sail. The fiberglass battens keeps the 10x6 fabric tensioned like a drum, and structurally like a sail.

While it comes with two lightweight vertical poles it is not to support the outer end from sagging. It is to resist gusts from compressing the awning downwards.
In the photo, you can see I opted not to install the vertical poles in the situation but only to use the two guy-lines. Without the guy-lines the deployed awning stills skywards from horizon about 35-degree from the support of the fiberglass battens.

The beauty and hence the attribute that justify the high price tag is relative resistance to wind. It never flaps in the breeze. The designer chose not to make the awning bigger is his cognizant to the force of breeze can exert onto the horizontal "sail".

The awning withstand very well to heavy downpours and pool very little water that the weight do not compromise the awning. You can always shorten the guy-lines to completely eliminate the pooling of water which takes just seconds.

what Isolde wants Isolde doesn't always get, 4 I know what is best for her - Liebe macht frei
chase4food
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Shady Boy out of fashion? (light-weight awning, that is) Reply with quote

Here are some more photos:

deployed with vertical support

the 5 battens

the snap connector at the outer corners for the vertical pole

without guy-lines - actually more like 15 degrees up from horizon

the Shady is less suited to the Sprinter due to the much higher height of the Sprinter than Vanagon.

kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: shady boy out of fashion? the light weight awning that is Reply with quote

chase4food wrote:
The relative unique attribute of Shady Boy is it is structurally built like a sail. The fiberglass battens keeps the 10x6 fabric tensioned like a drum, and structurally like a sail.

More like a kite, IMHO. I've seen the SB in person, and even sat under one in a rain storm (which was replaced about a year later with a larger case-style). Not an awning I'd install on my van, but to each their own. If you prefer the SB, great. I prefer my Trans-Awn, which does shed water, does resist wind when lashed down, and can be fully enclosed, if desired.

Bottom line: Lots of awnings on the market to choose from and all have their pros and cons and varying degrees of pricing. Do your research and choose one that will work best for you and your van.

2016 Golf GTI S
chase4food
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: shady boy out of fashion? the light weight awning that is Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
chase4food wrote:

More like a kite, IMHO. I've seen the SB in person, and even sat under one in a rain storm (which was replaced about a year later with a larger case-style). Not an awning I'd install on my van, but to each their own. If you prefer the SB, great. I prefer my Trans-Awn, which does shed water, does resist wind when lashed down, and can be fully enclosed, if desired.

Bottom line: Lots of awnings on the market to choose from and all have their pros and cons and varying degrees of pricing. Do your research and choose one that will work best for you and your van.

I am not here to sell the SB to anyone. Just want to see how other owners' experience. I said from the first post it is not an awning for everyone. There is no such thing as the best awning. I chose SB for it's safety in breeze, light weight, and minimalistic appearance. I had Fiamma on my James Cook and even with a custom-made room for it. I have never use either once during camping. I want an awning mainly for brief shelter from the onslaught of summer sun, and I camp very frequently at high wind locales. If you are into wind power sport you would know the what a few mph of breeze can exert on a 60 sq ft sail/kite/wing. Sail, kite, and wing are basically the same. They are all wings in the very definition of aerodynamics, but designed to be used in different orientations (most of the time).

djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Shady Boy out of fashion? (light-weight awning, that is) Reply with quote

I must honestly say that I never heard of the Shady Boy awning before you posted this thread.

At first I had great interest in it, compact, light weight and easy to deploy.

I then stumbled upon the price. I came upon some videos of setting it up and it soon became apparent to me that this awning is little more than a Sun shade.

If you dwell in an area where the rain does not fall and the horrid Sun is always upon your head until you cry out for the cruel comfort of death! (Makes me think of the prophet Jonah fighting with God and God causes his shade providing tree to wither and die) This awning is probably wonderful!

Windy arid settings...... Hmmmmm........ No place that I am EVER voluntarily heading! Been there..... Done that.

No one is knocking the awning as a viable option, it is just clear to myself and others who have posted that the awning is not a product that will meet our needs. For me I want an easy to deploy, affordable, effective shade AND an effective rain barrier in one product.
I honestly thought it was the EZ Awning ..... but that turned out to be not quite so EZ Laughing

This thread actually helped me decide to purchase an ARB..... Ironic I know!

We all like different things and we LOVE to tell others about our loves..... There is no attacking of the post or the product here, just honest expression of opinions. Please take them as such.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chase4food
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Shady Boy out of fashion? (light-weight awning, that is) Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
I must honestly say that I never heard of the Shady Boy awning before you posted this thread.

At first I had great interest in it, compact, light weight and easy to deploy.

I then stumbled upon the price. I came upon some videos of setting it up and it soon became apparent to me that this awning is little more than a Sun shade.

If you dwell in an area where the rain does not fall and the horrid Sun is always upon your head until you cry out for the cruel comfort of death! (Makes me think of the prophet Jonah fighting with God and God causes his shade providing tree to wither and die) This awning is probably wonderful!

Windy arid settings...... Hmmmmm........ No place that I am EVER voluntarily heading! Been there..... Done that.

No one is knocking the awning as a viable option, it is just clear to myself and others who have posted that the awning is not a product that will meet our needs. For me I want an easy to deploy, affordable, effective shade AND an effective rain barrier in one product.
I honestly thought it was the EZ Awning ..... but that turned out to be not quite so EZ Laughing

This thread actually helped me decide to purchase an ARB..... Ironic I know!

We all like different things and we LOVE to tell others about our loves..... There is no attacking of the post or the product here, just honest expression of opinions. Please take them as such.

Dave

Diversity is good. Our needs and decisions are all unique to what we value. Every design or decision often requires tradeoff. Contrarian views sometimes risk being like "a nail that sticks out needs to be pounded down" in old Japanese culture that value conformity. Very Happy

TequilaSunSet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Shady Boy out of fashion? (light-weight awning, that is) Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Just as an FYI ..... Tequilla sunsets awning is NLA from Kmart but is on Amazon for much more money......

Dave

NICE... my awning has tripled in value Razz
1967 Bug- Gone
1964 Euro Sunroof Bug- Gone
1969/72/63 Sunroof Bug- Gone
1975 Brazilian Bug in the Philippines 🇵🇭- New to me
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Shady Boy out of fashion? (light-weight awning, that is) Reply with quote

TequilaSunSet wrote:
djkeev wrote:

Dave

NICE... my awning has tripled in value Razz

A GREAT invesrment!!!!! Now..... Attempt to sell it for that dollar value! Laughing

It will be like buying a GoWesty Van today and trying to sell it next week for what you just paid for it.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Shady Boy out of fashion? (light-weight awning, that is) Reply with quote

I've had my Shady Boy on my westy weekender I think for about 15 years now. It's still as good as new and for what I wanted, it's repaid me in kind. I also like the lightweight, compact design, and personally don't need a side house when camping. I've used it extensively all over the west.

However, when I bought one the cost was about half what it is now. If I were in the market for an awning today I'd have to more carefully consider the options. I've never like the looks of the bigger jobs taking up the whole gutter on one side but that's just me and cosmetics. Functionally and financially I might lean toward the ARB today to compliment my ARB fridge/freezer Wink

But if I had deeper pockets .....
chase4food
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Shady Boy out of fashion? (light-weight awning, that is) Reply with quote

WestyBob wrote:
I've had my Shady Boy on my westy weekender I think for about 15 years now. It's still as good as new and for what I wanted, it's repaid me in kind. I also like the lightweight, compact design, and personally don't need a side house when camping. I've used it extensively all over the west.

However, when I bought one the cost was about half what it is now. If I were in the market for an awning today I'd have to more carefully consider the options. I've never like the looks of the bigger jobs taking up the whole gutter on one side but that's just me and cosmetics. Functionally and financially I might lean toward the ARB today to compliment my ARB fridge/freezer Wink

But if I had deeper pockets .....

I bought mine circa 2003 for may be around $280. It would be $370 today's price adjusted for inflation.

Just one interesting point, a nominally equipped 1989 Westaflia Vanagon GL sale price (not list) adjusted for inflation would cost about $46k and the Syncro option would cost about $50k. To me they represent incredible values.

ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Shady Boy out of fashion? (light-weight awning, that is) Reply with quote

I forgot another BIG plus for the Shady Boy for my needs...

The SB awning case doesn't get in the way when I'm strapping my SUP boards on top of my van. I'm only 6'0" and I can't imagine fighting another 4-6" when climbing on my rear passenger tire trying to tie my boards to the rear bar. Put the boards on the driver side??? Nope. That's reserved for my Thule box and RMW ladder.
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: Shady Boy out of fashion? (light-weight awning, that is) Reply with quote

Quote:
I have a BusDepot Ezy Awning which I've set up only once just to try it...We felt that it is so cumbersome to set up that we never bothered and haven't had significant rain to warrant the effort.

That's because you only tried once. Anyone who uses it often will tell you that the learning curve is steep. The first few times take a while because you're still learning the process, but once you've done it a few times it gets a whole lot faster and easier. Ten minutes from bag to vehicle once you're used to it (a bit longer if you want to put up side walls/screens as well and enclose it).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: