Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Another Broken Gear Shifter!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:25 pm    Post subject: Another Broken Gear Shifter! Reply with quote

...ya know, not another one for ME, just another broken one....

So, Mrs. WorldTour, myself, and another couple are toolin around in the Bulli, Geocaching, and it's getting on toward sunset (this JUST happened, BTW!).
As it happens, we were illegally trespassing in someone else's forest (it was also snow/ raining), and we get near the cache. I am trying to turn around (between trees), and the shifter feels strange. The position for 'G' and 'R' are WAY too close to my knee. I try to get it into R again, and the shifter just goes loose. I thought maybe it came loose UNDER the van. Nope. I let go of it, and it just flops over. GREAT! I lift it straight up, and it comes right out of the rubber boot.

Link

Thinking quickly, I call out the the woman from the second couple (also a mechanic, and an old coworker) to grab the tool kit and pass me a screwdriver. I jammed it into the broken end of the shifter, and got us out of the woods.
Out on the street, I'm rolling things over in my head. Tow truck to the Army Base nearby, friend getting off work soon to give everyone a ride home while I deal with the van, getting the groceries home, etc....
So I call out again, this time for the Bible. It's time to read Chapter and Verse.
I find my shifter set-up and look at the schematic. Army training kicks in.
Self Recovery.
I look at the pieces available to me. I pass the shift lever back with instructions to find SOMETHING that fits in the end.
I take the locking collar, lift the remaining shifter up, and fix it in place (NO reverse). I get passed up a 1/4 extension (six inches long).
OK. I can work with this. Trust me Dude, I've made a bong with less....
So we are now mobile. As long as I can keep the speed up, I won't have to shift so much (Diesel).
The drive home was uneventful, save for a stop by the Polizei (I had the four-ways on...).
Upon pulling into the driveway of my humble home, the van erupted in the sound of applause.
We made it!
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Broken Gear Shifter! Reply with quote

Good McGyvering!!!!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Broken Gear Shifter! Reply with quote

We had one break also. A pair of vise grips also got us home. The shifter has an inherent weak spot due to the design.

I have now replaced it with a BIG SHOT shifter.

No worries anymore.

http://rsfabparts.com/index.php/product/big-shot-vanagon-shifter/

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Broken Gear Shifter! Reply with quote

Nice - good field fix, man! In the tradition of motorists everywhere.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Broken Gear Shifter! Reply with quote

Syncro Jael wrote:
We had one break also. A pair of vise grips also got us home. The shifter has an inherent weak spot due to the design.

I have now replaced it with a BIG SHOT shifter.

No worries anymore.

I hope they got the kinks worked out. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=645384
JoshG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Broken Gear Shifter! Reply with quote

And another:

Busted mine today. Good thing I drive around with some tools in the car otherwise it would have been a call in to AAA.

Now what?

Are folks liking their Big Shots?

Track down a used one (I imagine these are not available new).
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Broken Gear Shifter! Reply with quote

I have heard of people jamming a metal rod into the shifter hole for more rigidity then align the broken pieces and weld it all back together to fix them.
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Broken Gear Shifter! Reply with quote

Looks like a good anti theft modification. Cool
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Broken Gear Shifter! Reply with quote

Mine broke last week and I cut the head off a 5/16 x 4 1/2" bolt, then welded it in first one side, then the other. Hardest part was keeping the carpet from frying...I did it in place as was pressed for time...it did melt part of the plastic ring. So far so good and actually feels a lot stouter than the original.

Kind of disconcerting when it falls off in your hand.
goffoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Broken Gear Shifter! Reply with quote

What are You guys doing to break this rod 25mm above the pivot???
I would expect the rod to break at the pin(weakest point)
I have a sticky 1 2 shift that I gentle thru on cold mornings( till I get it dialed)
What did you do to break a 9/16th shaft?
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Another Broken Gear Shifter! Reply with quote

Its hollow. Mine got bent by a tire shop monkey two weeks ago. To the point where i could change the radio station with it Mad . The bend was right where the locking collar is. There is a detent for a set screw that's in the collar. There was a crack forming from the detent. I finished cutting it and found a solid steel rod to fit inside and welded it back together. Mine too feels better than before.
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Broken Gear Shifter! Reply with quote

I think the problem is with metal fatigue after 395K miles (in my case) and 30 years. How many shifts is that again? Each with a slight stress on the tube?
iheartstrangers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Broken Gear Shifter! Reply with quote

Look at what happened to me tonight.

I've put about 200 miles on my 1984 Vanagon. I'm being initiated rather aggressively, but keeping a smile on my face.

Insert metal and weld. Is that the answer? Just out of curiosity, given that I don't weld, what should I expect to pay someone to do this?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Broken Gear Shifter! Reply with quote

iheartstrangers wrote:
Insert metal and weld. Is that the answer? Just out of curiosity, given that I don't weld, what should I expect to pay someone to do this?

12 packs go a long way with welders usually.
iheartstrangers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Broken Gear Shifter! Reply with quote

Duly noted.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Another Broken Gear Shifter! Reply with quote

I made sure to measure right where that detent was before it dissapeared under a weld. As well as scribed a line up the two pcs so that the lower pc wasnt rotated at all before welding.
iheartstrangers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Another Broken Gear Shifter! Reply with quote

Would you mind explaining this a little more? What happens if it is done incorrectly? I am not looking to do it incorrectly, just trying to understand what I am getting involved with.

While I am in the process, I am looking to change these parts - http://www.gowesty.com/product-details.php?id=24025 - is this a good idea?

Thanks!
scottbott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Another Broken Gear Shifter! Reply with quote

mine snapped a couple of weeks ago in EXACTLY the same place as yours,I bought a replacement from Brickwerks,it is a solid bar,expensive at £190 it will never snap again
iheartstrangers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Broken Gear Shifter! Reply with quote

I disassembled mine today and will now seek out a welder. I am trying to do everything on a limited budget while still seeking for it to be quality. I'll have more info as I progress.

Thanks!
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Broken Gear Shifter! Reply with quote

After you get it welded you will need to file or grind and dress the rod back to a smooth surface again. Then you will likely need to re drill the detent for the set screw on the collar. The collar needs to be back in the same spot. So just measure from the bottom end somewhere to know where that is. Scribing a line on the two pcs could just be a line with a sharpie marker. That is for the welder to align the two pcs so they dont get welded together 90 degrees off or 10 degrees off or you get the picture.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: