Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

new propane tank - who can purge?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: new propane tank - who can purge? Reply with quote

drj434343 wrote:
...both places did attempt to use the relief valve...

Sometimes they do not open that valve far enough. Especially in hot weather they may need to open it a LOT before the tank will start accepting propane.
RichBenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: new propane tank - who can purge? Reply with quote

drj434343 wrote:
I went on a little road trip today. Drove to a different place that fills propane. I just asked for a fill and and didn't say anything. 1.6 gallons went in and then it stopped. I said the tank was empty and should take closer to 3 gallons, but the attendant said once it stopped they had to disconnect.

So I drove down the street to another place and ask for a fill, again not saying anything. This time, the attendant connected and attempted the fill, but nothing else would go in. He tried multiple times, disconnecting and reconnecting a few times, but repeated attempts did not net any more in the tank. We shrugged at each other and I left.

There's not a lot of expertise I'm seeing with these fill guys, though both places did attempt to use the relief valve.

So, I've got 1.6 gallons in there now, and a second opinion that its all the tank will take.

Not sure what is going on. I'm assuming an empty tank should take closer to 3 gallons?

http://home.earthlink.net/~derekgore/rvroadiervfulltimingwhatisitreallylike/id45.html
This link explains it and what happened to me on another tank. Not being able to fill a new, non purged OPD tanks is common. Basically, purging is done with multiple propane vapor additions and releases to dilute the air, or applying a vacuum and then adding propane vapor. Fills are done with LIQUID propane, not propane vapor, which is why a normal fill won't work properly.

***Edit*** AFAIK, this does not apply to the non OPD tanks.

In your case, I'd use up some of that propane gas/air mixture and then get refilled. Multiple times should eventually dilute the air that's in there.

For me, I may have to remove the tank to get a purge. I don't understand why it can't be done while on the vehicle. Maybe it's a safety thing or maybe their separate purging tank is inside.

Last edited by RichBenn on Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:17 am; edited 1 time in total
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: new propane tank - who can purge? Reply with quote

Leave the fridge running on propane for a week or two until it runs out and refill it. It should have taken more, there is no logical explanation for it not taking 2.8 gallons or so. That will purge most of the air and when you fill it next time, report back how much it takes. The fill valve is just a simple spring loaded mechanism so I doubt anything mechanical is wrong with a new tank.
drj434343
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: new propane tank - who can purge? Reply with quote

I went on a little road trip today. Drove to a different place that fills propane. I just asked for a fill and and didn't say anything. 1.6 gallons went in and then it stopped. I said the tank was empty and should take closer to 3 gallons, but the attendant said once it stopped they had to disconnect.

So I drove down the street to another place and ask for a fill, again not saying anything. This time, the attendant connected and attempted the fill, but nothing else would go in. He tried multiple times, disconnecting and reconnecting a few times, but repeated attempts did not net any more in the tank. We shrugged at each other and I left.

There's not a lot of expertise I'm seeing with these fill guys, though both places did attempt to use the relief valve.

So, I've got 1.6 gallons in there now, and a second opinion that its all the tank will take.

Not sure what is going on. I'm assuming an empty tank should take closer to 3 gallons?
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: new propane tank - who can purge? Reply with quote

My understanding is you purge a new tank to remove air. Nothing to do with not being able to fill it. The overfill protection valve can be stuck in "safe" mode, you upend the bottle and it becomes unstuck. Or if a fixed tank, tap it with a piece of wood. They're a pita!

If you get really low propane flow, the overflow valve is partially closed, same solution. Opening the valve quickly sometimes causes this, it thinks it's a leak.
1986 Vanagon GL Westfalia Camper, Bostig Sold May 10, 2021
1999 Ford GTRV Westfalia camper (30% bigger Westy layout)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RichBenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: new propane tank - who can purge? Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
RichBenn wrote:
Because of all the air in there, it would not fill more than a couple gallons

Rich I don't think this is the case. Liquid propane has a very specific pressure for every temperature, and it's around 100psi for room temp. So if there's even one drop of (liquid) propane in the tank - the pressure is at 100psi already. Highly doubt that "air" in the tank could get to 100psi (as high as the propane would be).

Here's a graph showing propane's pressure at any temperature.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

May have something to do with the OFD? This was a BBQ tank, and I observed all this. The guy explained to me that it shouldn't happen if you let the tank valve open for several days, but fully empty, it could. He claimed it was the air in there. I can't explain it, though.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: new propane tank - who can purge? Reply with quote

RichBenn wrote:
Because of all the air in there, it would not fill more than a couple gallons

Rich I don't think this is the case. Liquid propane has a very specific pressure for every temperature, and it's around 100psi for room temp. So if there's even one drop of (liquid) propane in the tank - the pressure is at 100psi already. Highly doubt that "air" in the tank could get to 100psi (as high as the propane would be).

Here's a graph showing propane's pressure at any temperature.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
RichBenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: new propane tank - who can purge? Reply with quote

I tried to get mine purged at the local place, where a couple guys know at they are doing. Unfortunately, a younger guy was there, didn't know, and talked to the owner who said they only are setup for removable BBQ style tanks purgjng.

I called "everyone" in a 50 mile radius. Either they just filled, Only recertified (BBQ style) and didn't fill (my home service propane outfit), or refered me to the propane places that only did tanks brought in. Had I known, I wouldn't have installed it first.

So it's fill, use some, fill again, unless I can get someone to bleed off a bit a couple times. Had a guy do that once on a BBQ tank I left open for a couple weeks. Because of all the air in there, it would not fill more than a couple gallons. That technique works.

I think the person who couldn't fill didn't open the bleed valve.
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: new propane tank - who can purge? Reply with quote

As I recall you are just purging air from the tank by putting in LP vapor. Normally fill stations can only fill with LP liquid. I think it takes too long to try to purge with liquid. If you didn't purge it at all after you have refilled it a few times it would be purged of almost all air anyway. So yes you can put LP in an empty unpurged tank. The safety reason to purge is supposedly the pressure can get too high if you didn't purge. Also there can be moisture in the air that can supposedly cause rust or freezing if it was winter. But I didn't purge a tank once and it was fine. Plus I think our tanks have blow off valves if the pressure gets too high

You don't need to remove the tank from the van. You just need a service station that can put in a few rounds of LP vapor and let it out to displace the air. Call around.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: new propane tank - who can purge? Reply with quote

drj434343 wrote:
The U-haul propane center was not able to put any propane in the tank today when they attempted to fill. When I told them it was new, they said it had to be purged before any propane could get in.

Not a chance in hell. Purging is simply pulling a vacuum on the tank, to evacuate any oxygen before you put propane in (explosive???) and ensure there's no water vapor in there either.

If you can rig it up to an air compressor intake, that will pull a significant vacuum.

Note that your first filling (and usage) is as good as any purge.

drj434343 wrote:
I called Suburban Propane here in Portland, OR and they thought it was strange it needed to be purged before it would accept any propane. They were willing to purge my tank, but they said I would have to remove it first!

"Strange" because it's completely un-related. There was some other problem. Maybe just take it somewhere else & try again.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
erdonline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: new propane tank - who can purge? Reply with quote

Not being able to fill the tank shouldn't have anything to do with not being purged. It's not like it's pressurized with air and won't let any propane in; as mentioned earlier in this post, tanks contain residual air at atmospheric pressure and purging them means you'll have pure propane in your tank instead of mostly propane with some air which may not make its way out and will hole moisture. Quite a few places simply don't know how to fill the tanks or they may not have the right adapter.

I also don't believe that a tank would need to be removed to purge it. Shop around to find someone who knows what they're doing.

Ed
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: new propane tank - who can purge? Reply with quote

turbotransporter wrote:

If asked if tank has been purged simply say yes. Boasting about your purging prowess will NOT impress your Propane Professional What will impress them is bringing along a piece of old carpet for them to kneel on while filling your Propane tank.

This is why I read the Samba: great tips on how to do things better. Thanks, TT!

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
drj434343
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: new propane tank - who can purge? Reply with quote

I need to resurrect this thread. I installed a brand new tank from GoWesty recently. I originally found this thread and took Terry's previous advice about not needing to purge the tank before filling.

The U-haul propane center was not able to put any propane in the tank today when they attempted to fill. When I told them it was new, they said it had to be purged before any propane could get in.

I called Suburban Propane here in Portland, OR and they thought it was strange it needed to be purged before it would accept any propane. They were willing to purge my tank, but they said I would have to remove it first!

Was the U-haul place incompetent, or do you have to purge before putting propane in for the first time?

If I do have to purge, does anyone know of a place in the Portland area that would be willing to purge the tank while installed? I don't want to have to take this thing off again.
alijonny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: new propane tank - who can purge? Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
<<< Our van has sliders, so access to the tank is probably even more challenging than most, but it seems to work. >>>

Purging the tank;
Overkill.

Open the bleeder and have Festus fill the tank.

Worry not, it'll fly without purging anything.

"Our van has sliders"
Interesting,
You bolt on sliding room extensions onto the vehicle?

Cool.

An add on living room & den?
Or kitchen & a head?

I think he means ROCK sliders Laughing I would like to start a new topic on slide-outs for the vanagon. Please, no one link that eurovan concept... Exclamation
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: new propane tank - who can purge? Reply with quote

<<< Our van has sliders, so access to the tank is probably even more challenging than most, but it seems to work. >>>

Purging the tank;
Overkill.

Open the bleeder and have Festus fill the tank.

Worry not, it'll fly without purging anything.

"Our van has sliders"
Interesting,
You bolt on sliding room extensions onto the vehicle?

Cool.

An add on living room & den?
Or kitchen & a head?
turbotransporter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: new propane tank - who can purge? Reply with quote

I worked in the Propane industry for a few years...

Simplified: Purging new Propane tanks is to remove air that may contain water vapor that may cause the pressure regulator to freeze up and other issues.

Purging can be done with two POL fillings, one on each end of a short piece of hose or copper tubing and a properly functioning bbq tank. When I was purging and filling pallets of new Propane tanks I made up a "tool" out of brass fittings but if you only need to do this once or twice in your lifetime keep it simple.

The object is to release/remove whatever air is present inside the new tank tank and replacing it with pure Propane vapor.

Basic technique: Release air from new tank, add propane vapor, release air/propane vapor mixture, add Propane vapor, repeat 3 to 4 times, purging complete.

Now take your freshly purged tank to your local Propane Dealer to be filled. If asked if tank has been purged simply say yes. Boasting about your purging prowess will NOT impress your Propane Professional Laughing What will impress them is bringing along a piece of old carpet for them to kneel on while filling your Propane tank.

I purge new Westy tanks before mounting them on the van. I also purge used Westy tanks that I've rebuilt with new valves. (Once you've troubleshot a non-purging competitors mistakes you never go back)

Always, always, always check for leaks before using your propane system. Always! Diluted dish soap works but most of it is corrosive to copper, brass and aluminum. Home Depot sells a leak check product that the pros use...

If any of this doesn't make sense or causes you any stress or fear please don't attempt to do it. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by turbotransporter on Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:29 am; edited 1 time in total
velovino
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: new propane tank - who can purge? Reply with quote

Thanks for the help! I think I'll just get it filled and see how it goes.

Other than some grumbling from the guy who fills my propane tank (he says it's the only time he does yoga) I've not had issues with getting the tank filled. Our van has sliders, so access to the tank is probably even more challenging than most, but it seems to work.

thanks again!
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: new propane tank - who can purge? Reply with quote

If you really want to do it, a propane place like Amerigas or Suburban Propane, anyplace that services or re-certifies tanks, should be able to do it. Look some places up near you and call around.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: new propane tank - who can purge? Reply with quote

I think on every fill I have had they opened the bleed valve - then close it and shut it all down once liquid comes out. Seems stinky, messy & wasteful - but that is how I have always seen it done.

alijonny wrote:
...he seemed to have a very tough time threading his fitting onto my tank...

The big connection points slightly downward which requires the hose to be presented at a funny angle (has to point slightly up). As the connection is hard for the operator to see this sometimes gives them fits. If I see they are having a problem getting the threads to catch I mention the angle of attack needed.
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: new propane tank - who can purge? Reply with quote

^sounds like he was afraid to overfill it and opened the relief valve to make sure it didnt get too much liquid inside. they sometimes fill it up and vent the excess at the same time which is unsettling but standard in the industry iguess.
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: