Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bamboo DIY Headliner
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VeeDub1971
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:42 pm    Post subject: Bamboo DIY Headliner Reply with quote

I've been on the samba for quite a while, but just recently actually registered, I saw some very cool stuff all around, especially a diy bamboo headliner. My headliner is in horrible condition, and I searched around for a tutorial or a guide on how to make the bamboo style one but couldn't find any, so my goal is to document how I make it so others can too.

I'm hoping it will turn out something like

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The first step towards this is to take the existing headliner out, I did not want to save mine so I cut it out, marking where the supports were that kept it up, those locations will be important later. After you take out the headliner, take out all the gross insulation in there. I will replace the insulation before installing the actual new headliner.

Last edited by VeeDub1971 on Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:02 am; edited 1 time in total
VeeDub1971
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Bamboo DIY Headliner Reply with quote

Update: I bought some thin, relatively cheap and thin 10' piece of pine molding from Home Depot to hold the bamboo reids in place. I found out that I will need to bend them into shape but actually bending them to the right height and shape without cracking them is quite a feat, I managed to fine the exact length through trail and error (50 3/8"). This is for a 1971 Bus, I am unsure if other years will need a different length.

I am going to secure the by attaching it to the upper lip where the headliner was. I'm using adjustable clamps to hold the wood in place and bend it over a period of about three day, tightening them slowly as not to crack the wood (at least intervoles of 3 hours.) Eventually I want the wood to lay flush with the metal. I have also been misting the wood with water about a foot from either end (not sure if that's helping or not?)

Also be careful not to pinch any wires that may be up there
69Weekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Bamboo DIY Headliner Reply with quote

Following
2015 Toyota Tacoma V6 4x4
Past:
01 Honda Insight, 06 Beetle TDI, 77 Toyota, 96 Geo Metro, 06 Tacoma, 13 Jetta Wagon, 05 Jetta, 96 Corrado VR6
Other ICE Machinery: Alco 251F 16v & 8v
Charlie57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Bamboo DIY Headliner Reply with quote

I am editing my first response because I thought the wood was wrapped in vinyl but it's not. If you were going to cover the wood in vinyl or something similar you could cut relief marks on the back and fill them with bondo. Leaving the wood fully exposed I think doing what you are doing now they will eventually crack. Youtube bending wood and you will see where they do this with water.
Best of luck will follow your progress.
Charlie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VeeDub1971
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Bamboo DIY Headliner Reply with quote

Charlie57 wrote:
I am editing my first response because I thought the wood was wrapped in vinyl but it's not. If you were going to cover the wood in vinyl or something similar you could cut relief marks on the back and fill them with bondo. Leaving the wood fully exposed I think doing what you are doing now they will eventually crack. Youtube bending wood and you will see where they do this with water.
Best of luck will follow your progress.
Charlie

Thanks for the feedback, I'll watch some YouTube videos and educate myself more on the subject. So far the wood hasn't cracked but we will see how the rest go. Thankyou
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Bamboo DIY Headliner Reply with quote

steaming the wood around the locations to bend should help quicken the pace and minimize the risk of cracking.. jut make sure they're good and saturated
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Bamboo DIY Headliner Reply with quote

Tea Kettle Steaming
Tea kettle on a boston burner with a length of hose attached to the spout?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Bamboo DIY Headliner Reply with quote

Q. How many people here have experienced fog in their buses, or the inside soaked from condensation?

anyone who owns a bus knows how wet the interior skin and glass get when it is cold out - especially if driving in a heavy rain and the heater is on. I've seen fog coming out of the heating vents in heavy rain like that. A bamboo roof will be fun - I love the smell of wet bamboo. Wood also swells when it gets wet. Maybe consider using a clear coat on it to help seal it from the moisture.
VeeDub1971
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Bamboo DIY Headliner Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
steaming the wood around the locations to bend should help quicken the pace and minimize the risk of cracking.. jut make sure they're good and saturated

I will try using that method, thankyou
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Bamboo DIY Headliner Reply with quote

some people make a PVC or ABS pipe steamer where the steam enters one side and exits the other.

Link

[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Bamboo DIY Headliner Reply with quote

I achieved the bent wood slats using 3 layers of thin plywood glued together.

You put glue between all the layers, I just jammed pieces of wood to hold the curve. When the glue dries the arch is permanent.

Not a van, but same principles apply.

VWDog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:14 am    Post subject: Re: Bamboo DIY Headliner Reply with quote

If you are going to steam them, which seems like a reasonable method, from a boat builder's perspective I would first get those pieces of, probably kiln dried, wood soaking in some water for a while. The steam set-up posted by SGKent looks pretty sweet, if somewhat elaborate. The main thing is to get a volume of good HOT steam in the tube, or box or whatever. Gaps in the set-up shouldn't be too great, but they can be a good indicator of whether you have 'good' steam or not.

If you are just wanting to bend the tightest bends, rags wrapped around those areas and repeatedly soaked with boiling water might do the trick to loosen up the fibres and get them slipping against each other. But a form to bend them over might be helpful.

The glued laminate method like this:

[email protected] wrote:
I achieved the bent wood slats using 3 layers of thin plywood glued together.

You put glue between all the layers, I just jammed pieces of wood to hold the curve. When the glue dries the arch is permanent.

Not a van, but same principles apply.

is good. Tape some plastic to the roof first and hold the laminates up with the 'jammed pieces of wood' otherwise known as "gilpokes". The thinner the laminates, the tighter the bend you can do. Works great to get an exact shape without having to build a steam box.

As SGKent points out, you might think about entirely coating the bamboo before affixing it to keep moisture out, but with all the air gaps, it might not be too bad. Maybe a thin layer of insulation above the bamboo might be the ticket? I dunno… Good Luck with it! Smile

1970 Lotus White Single Cab 2015- , 1979 Sage Green 2014-2015, 1978 Dakota Beige Westy 2012-2015, 1978 Neptune Blue Riviera 2012-2017 , 1970 Neptune Blue Bus 2010-2012, 1970 Deluxe Savannah Beige 2010-2012, 1985 Iltis 2010- , 1962 Single Cab 2010-2013, 1975 Brasilia? Bay/Split Kombi from Brazil 2008-2011, 1985 DoKa 1999-2009, 1971 Bus 1999-2000, 1968 Double Cab 1991-1998, 1965 Ghia 1987-1991, 1970 Westfalia-bought by Mum and Dad in 1970, sold by me in 1993 why-oh-why :_(
VeeDub1971
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Bamboo DIY Headliner Reply with quote

I like the idea of thin plywood glued together, it seems like it would work well.
And before I get too far along I would like to put some insulation/sound dampening material up there, does anyone think this stuff will work??
http://m.homedepot.com/p/E-O-12-in-x-15-ft-Self-Stick-Foam-Foil-Duct-Insulation-FV516/100028603
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Bamboo DIY Headliner Reply with quote

Steaming is great....but not really necessary. If you are not in a hurry and can make the forms you need or use the roof curve as a form in some way....and its been done this way for centuries...you can simply put the wood in hot water first and then leave it soaking for a couple of days to saturate. It becomes pliable. Clamp it into place and let of dry for a couple weeks...or you can rig up a tent with a hot air heater.

In many cases... for ship and architectural timber they would soak it for long periods (big pieces of wood)...block and tackle it into place on the form...and then load the wood and the forms into a kiln to dry it.

Several ways to skin the cat including that cool steamer that SGKent posted ...which for thn pieces may be ideal. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
69Weekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Bamboo DIY Headliner Reply with quote

VeeDub1971 wrote:
dampening material up there, does anyone think this stuff will work??

Try USeal. That's what I used. It worked great! The cab is so much quieter now.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/USEAL-USA-Band-6-in-Alu.../202086180

2015 Toyota Tacoma V6 4x4
Past:
01 Honda Insight, 06 Beetle TDI, 77 Toyota, 96 Geo Metro, 06 Tacoma, 13 Jetta Wagon, 05 Jetta, 96 Corrado VR6
Other ICE Machinery: Alco 251F 16v & 8v
scubasteve321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Bamboo DIY Headliner Reply with quote

Any update? I'm itching to do this as well
VeeDub1971
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Bamboo DIY Headliner Reply with quote

No update yet, I've been super busy with school work, my next step is to insulate the roof (probably with self adhesive duct insulation without fiberglass) I've gotten bamboo blinds from lows and I have to figure out how to attach them, I'm working on it though bear with me
scubasteve321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:18 am    Post subject: Re: Bamboo DIY Headliner Reply with quote

any update?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: