Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

56 Oval Chopped Blown V8 Build Project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Machine Dr.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 56 Oval Chopped Blown V8 Build Project Reply with quote

I have put together a few YouTube videos. I'm still trying to get the hang of it.
They are capable of 1080p HD.
I know I might regret this but, let me know what you think, good or bad.
I'd like to hear it. Laughing

1956 VW Bug Chopped Blown V8 Build Project
Part 1: https://youtu.be/2zzLVcVGTB8
Part 2: https://youtu.be/2MFzQvuKZY8
Part 3: https://youtu.be/ki4McDbpw68

This hopefully will keep you entertained for awhile.
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 56 Oval Chopped Blown V8 Build Project Reply with quote

The chop looks good so far, I hate the laid back raked look many of these projects seem to end up with!

Are you using flux core wire for this?
Machine Dr.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: 56 Oval Chopped Blown V8 Build Project Reply with quote

Bashr52 wrote:
The chop looks good so far, I hate the laid back raked look many of these projects seem to end up with!

Are you using flux core wire for this?

Thank you Bashr52. I appreciate that. I did a lot of thinking and studying before I made the cuts.
I am using flux core (.030). I still need to improve my welding skills, but it's getting there.
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: 56 Oval Chopped Blown V8 Build Project Reply with quote

Looking good! By the time you are done with all the mods, you will be a regular expert.

I only asked due to the weld smoke stains around the metal in your pics, I've only seen that when using flux cored with (mig or stick). Laughing
Machine Dr.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: 56 Oval Chopped Blown V8 Build Project Reply with quote

Bashr52 wrote:
Looking good! By the time you are done with all the mods, you will be a regular expert.

I only asked due to the weld smoke stains around the metal in your pics, I've only seen that when using flux cored with (mig or stick). Laughing

That's the raw look to make it feel like you are there in on the action! Smile
Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: 56 Oval Chopped Blown V8 Build Project Reply with quote

By not stretching the roof and leaving that compound angle for your front windshield is going to make putting glass in there impossible -- -- get your glass guy to look at it before you go much further.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Machine Dr.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: 56 Oval Chopped Blown V8 Build Project Reply with quote

Fiatdude wrote:
By not stretching the roof and leaving that compound angle for your front windshield is going to make putting glass in there impossible -- -- get your glass guy to look at it before you go much further.

I know its hard to tell from any of the pictures I've sent so far, the area that is circled in red looks more pronounced than what it is up close. I'll try to send a better picture. The lip that is on the inside of the windshield and is what holds the windshield seal in place is definitely flat as well as the area for the rest of the seal. I do like the fact that Fiatdude and any others see things that may make life easier for me in the long run. Thanks! Brick wall
Machine Dr.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: 56 Oval Chopped Blown V8 Build Project Reply with quote

Well I have been so busy with everyday life that I have not been getting much done on the build. I do have 135 hours logged so far.I am still finishing up fabbing and welding the radius of the doors. I have ordered my chassis from Speedway Motors. It is a 1927 T-Bucket Roadster frame. It has a wheelbase of 116". This will be perfect for the look I am after. I am after the same kind of look that TheGreenVW V8 Bug Project is doing. His project was one of the ones I saw early on to help inspire me to do this build. I really like the old Gasser style look!
Anyway, here is a link for the chassis:http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Deluxe-1927-T-Bucket-Frame-Kit,24789.html It has all the details. I think for the price and what is included, it is hard to beat. I can't wait to get more work done. I would like to have it done by next summer, that means I need to get busy! I got a great deal on the rear tires I wanted, so I have them now as well. Man are they big! I'll try to get a picture on here soon that gives you an idea. They are Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/R 31x18x15. I also have most of my door hardware now. It is all a matter of getting time to put it all together, but it's geting there! I'll keep you all posted and get some pics up soon!
Machine Dr.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: 56 Oval Chopped Blown V8 Build Project Reply with quote

Well, I was curious what the new tires would look like when they are in place, so I took off the drivers side rear fender and put it in position. I do want to extend the rear fenders and keep them on the car. I have always liked the look of fat fenders so that is the look I am aiming for. Also, I talked with Speedway Motors on Friday. The chassis is ready and will ship out next week!
I can't wait! Here are a few pics. The lighting was bad, but I think you get the idea.

That should be wide enough! Cool

Machine Dr.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: 56 Oval Chopped Blown V8 Build Project Reply with quote

My chassis arrived from Speedway Motors. This thing is awesome! It came mostly assembled, which I did not expect. It also came with parts and accessories that were not listed on their website. How often does that happen? Very satisfied! Here are a few pictures. The only drawback is I will need to extend it about 6 1/2 inches. That's no problem. Cool

More to come!
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: 56 Oval Chopped Blown V8 Build Project Reply with quote

Machine Dr. wrote:
Fiatdude wrote:

I know its hard to tell from any of the pictures I've sent so far, the area that is circled in red looks more pronounced than what it is up close. I'll try to send a better picture. The lip that is on the inside of the windshield and is what holds the windshield seal in place is definitely flat as well as the area for the rest of the seal. I do like the fact that Fiatdude and any others see things that may make life easier for me in the long run. Thanks! Brick wall

In every picture you have shown this line is screwed up.
Chopping a top is all about getting details like this correct,
The bottom of that pillar should be laid back, right now you have a kink.
Stop messing with the door, because you need to get rid of that kink,
and when you do fix that pillar, the door shape will change.
Also the back curve of the rear side window is too abrupt, and the bottom line needs to be rounded up to meet the roof curve.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Machine Dr.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: 56 Oval Chopped Blown V8 Build Project Reply with quote

Ach60 wrote:
In every picture you have shown this line is screwed up.
Chopping a top is all about getting details like this correct,
The bottom of that pillar should be laid back, right now you have a kink.
Stop messing with the door, because you need to get rid of that kink,
and when you do fix that pillar, the door shape will change.
Also the back curve of the rear side window is too abrupt, and the bottom line needs to be rounded up to meet the roof curve.

My original intention was to come back to these areas later after I have more of the car done to get a feel for what it will look like and then fabricate things if I need to. By the couple of comments I have received, plus others thinking the same thing but not saying so, I have started to work on these type of things first. I knew the door area was not going to be that big of a deal. It was just a matter of making a few relief cuts, push the metal where it needs to be and then weld it up. I have done that and put on an initial coat of body filler. As far as the rear window section, I have not decided on that part yet. I will be coming back to it when I can get a better idea what the side profile will look like when it is a rolling chassis with the wheels on it.

Here are a few pictures of the work so far on the doors.

I ordered my wheels yesterday. I chose the Weld RT-S rims. I have 15x4 for the front and 15x15 on the rear. They will not be here until mid October because they need to be built. That's OK, I have plenty still to do.
I will continue to keep working on it. I have my Ford 9 inch rear and have been working on the layout for where it will be and figure out where the shell will need to be to keep the rear tire centered in the wheel well.
I will keep you posted. Should have enough for another Youtube video soon. It will be 1956 VW Bug Chopped Blown Part 4. Smile
Machine Dr.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: 56 Oval Chopped Blown V8 Build Project Reply with quote

The latest video on Youtube.

Part 4: https://youtu.be/qGTlQBMZO7Y
Machine Dr.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: 56 Oval Chopped Blown V8 Build Project Reply with quote

The new rims arrived. I have the tires mounted and think they look really good. Very happy with the look and quality.

I put them up against the car to get a better idea of what they will look like.
It is starting to look like something. The wheels really set the tone of type of look I am after.

Now I can measure to see how wide the Ford 9 inch needs to be. It will be getting narrowed, I want to get this thing rolling ASAP. I will also be ordering the front brake kit and making it a full roller and get it off the dolly I have been using to try to keep it at ride height. I will stay with it and try to keep up on the pictures and posting.
rmh60bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 56 Oval Chopped Blown V8 Build Project Reply with quote

I like the stance, reminds me of a old school gasser !
Slow & Steady is the key
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Machine Dr.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: 56 Oval Chopped Blown V8 Build Project Reply with quote

rmh60bug wrote:

Quote:
I like the stance, reminds me of a old school gasser !

Thanks, thats exactly the look I am going for,
Zoomie headers and all! Very Happy
Machine Dr.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: 56 Oval Chopped Blown V8 Build Project Reply with quote

I started stripping down the Ford 9 inch to get ready for it to be narrowed. Passenger side drum was tough. Other than that not too bad. The internals are going to be rebuilt.

I am dropping it off this weekend to get it narrowed. I still need to set the rear wheels in place to get the final measurement for the final width. That's on the agenda for to nite. Going to Jegs Saturday to get the Auburn Differential, Wilwood Brakes and order the Strange Engineering axles.
Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 56 Oval Chopped Blown V8 Build Project Reply with quote

The last 9" I narrowed I put Oldsmobile bearings at the ends -- I know, just a while ago
Machine Dr.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: 56 Oval Chopped Blown V8 Build Project Reply with quote

Fiatdude wrote:
The last 9" I narrowed I put Oldsmobile bearings at the ends -- I know, just a while ago

Maybe I just got lucky, but it was nothing my biggest hammer could not handle. Smile

I have heard about using the Olds ends but did not really know the reason behind it. Is it because of the bearing size and easier finding brakes?

Well I started working again last nite. I took off the passenger side rear fender and set the wheels in position.

At this point I am saying to myself "Whoa, what have I got myself into!"
I am still trying to picture it with the extended rear fenders and "snowflake"
lights and "W" lid. (which I still need by the way)

The next step was to get a good measurement.

I had a good 1 1/2 inches of clearance between the tire and wheel well, so I settled on the magic number of 51 inches. I think since I will not be getting to crazy in the turns that should be good. I am building this more for straight line fun! Very Happy

While I was at it I took another picture of the side profile with the wheels in place. I really like the look so far, in fact I am using it for my avatar.

I'll keep working and keep posting, have a good one!
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: 56 Oval Chopped Blown V8 Build Project Reply with quote

I wouldn't put any rear fenders back on that thing, the rear picture without them is the money shot Smile!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: