Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

ARB Awning, Making your own NO WELD gutter mount!
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dono Be
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning, Making your own NO WELD gutter mount! Reply with quote

New paint on the plate extension brackets
Installed easily and set with a little less rake.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dono Be
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning, Making your own NO WELD gutter mount! Reply with quote

I should have raised the awning with a suspension lift.
Dono Be
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning, Making your own NO WELD gutter mount! Reply with quote

I found this thread very helpful

Hence the resurrection.

I am doing and extended Bracket on my awning to achieve a little more headroom....
also the rake on this awning can not be adjusted for some reason. I did find the install diagram and a video of the install.

Here are a couple shots of the progress today....

I plan to use a few washers between the brackets with longer bolts.
I managed to get 3 inches higher.
Jamo7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning, Making your own NO WELD gutter mount! Reply with quote

Like Dave, I made my own No WELD gutter mount for an ARB awning. (It only took me two years to get the awning and make the mounts!)
I purchased 3 feet of 0.1875" x 3" hot roll rectangle, and one foot of 0.1875" thick 2" x 2" hot rolled mixed steel angle from OnlineMetals.com. I used a MAPP gas torch to heat and bend the 3" bar. I cut down one side of the angle for the lower gutter bracket. Dave's measurements were a great starting point, but since my bends of the 3" bar were slightly off, I just adjusted the length of the non-bolted angle as needed. I tried to create the S-bend out of the 3/16" angle, but the bent and hammered leg started to crack. When I looked closely at my 1984 gutters, I saw that my upper gutter bracket could fit very well in the recess of the gutter as a simple angle. I apologize for the poor lighting in the photo, but if you look closely you should be able to see where my design differs from Dave's. The uppermost bracket that stabilizes the upper gutter bracket is copied straight from Dave's design.
I used M8x1.25 Allen head bolts throughout and purchased M8 riv nuts (one/mount) to secure the lower end of the awning mount to the van. I feel the resulting mount is very secure.
Thanks for the idea, and as I said before GO SAMBA!
James

Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning, Making your own NO WELD gutter mount! Reply with quote

A word of warning.

I opened my poptop with a LOT of weight in the rocketbox (ontop). Apparently during the fuss, the poptop moved over a little and the seal hooked on the awning bolts. My awning mount is approximately straight up vertical of the gutter. Some other awning mounts are "tighter in" than mine. From this I would recommend that the mount should be flush to the gutter, or even outward a little.

So I cut them off flush at the nut. Anyway don't assume the poptop always goes STRAIGHT up (vertical).

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning, Making your own NO WELD gutter mount! Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
Newest Samba moniker: "DIY Dave" Cool

Dave is pumping out the projects!

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning, Making your own NO WELD gutter mount! Reply with quote

Got It!

So..... I've some 1 1/2" wide 3/16 steel in that corner of the garage..... One skinny third brace to be made......

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning, Making your own NO WELD gutter mount! Reply with quote

Dave it's to relieve the strain on the rain gutter.
it's 50% more (or 33%) surface area for the same weight/strain.
I've seen more than 1 van with the rain gutter seam tweaked and cracked.. so more is better right? they carry alot of static weight while bouncing down the road.. and with the high vantage point, exert plenty of weight based leverage.
djkeev wrote:
Whoa! Humbled! 🤔

Thanks for the kind words.......

Anyway.....
A third mount.
I totally get the WHY of a third mount. If one should fail, two still hold the unit.
But honestly, I don't see a failure here especially because once the mounts are painted they will be fastened into the B & D pillars as well with 5/16-18 fasteners.

While the possibility of a complete catastropic failure does exist, in my risk taking assessment of this happening, that probability is quite minute.

Dave

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning, Making your own NO WELD gutter mount! Reply with quote

My ARB has 89" center to center on the mounts.

There is no flex in the unit at all.

The 2 1/2" extruded aluminum channel with a 2nd extruded aluminum channel wrapped tightly in canvas results in an assembly that I can literally hang from mid span with no noticeable deflection.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning, Making your own NO WELD gutter mount! Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
Nice DIY job, Dave! Applause

djkeev wrote:

A third mount.
I totally get the WHY of a third mount. If one should fail, two still hold the unit.

I don't think it's so much out of a fear of failure, as it distributing the weight more evenly across the gutter.

2 mounts=25 lbs per mount. 3 mounts = 17 lbs per mount. No significant difference to a gutter.

Three mounts is for safety factor not for distribution. With two mounts....if the front mount was disturbed and came loose, the rear mount would be torn off a few milliseconds later. Of course if the rear mount was the one that came loose that would be a less exciting failure.

The front mount is the one that could get caught by a tree-branch wedging into the slot above the passenger door (possibly bending / loosening it).

Some people don't drive in the bushes but I do if the campsite demands it. Thanks for bringing this up. As a 2-supporter, I think I'll build a little 'fairing' that bolts to the awning - that would deflect a branch from getting in there. Maybe it can perform a minor amount of support as well (2 1/2 supports). This could be more useful if a 10-footer becomes available.

dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning, Making your own NO WELD gutter mount! Reply with quote

Newest Samba moniker: "DIY Dave" Cool

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning, Making your own NO WELD gutter mount! Reply with quote

Nice DIY job, Dave! Applause

djkeev wrote:

A third mount.

I don't think it's so much out of a fear of failure, as it distributing the weight more evenly across the gutter.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning, Making your own NO WELD gutter mount! Reply with quote

Whoa! Humbled! 🤔

Thanks for the kind words.......

Anyway.....
A third mount.
But honestly, I don't see a failure here especially because once the mounts are painted they will be fastened into the B & D pillars as well with 5/16-18 fasteners.

While the possibility of a complete catastropic failure does exist, in my risk taking assessment of this happening, that probability is quite minute.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
DwarfVader
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning, Making your own NO WELD gutter mount! Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
Wow, what a great endorsement.

Dave, some have added a 3rd mount to the space at the back of the sliding door. you know more stays to hold the structure.

also while I know you don't want to go into business, your intention is to demonstrate the DIY economical approach. but some (many actually) don't have the time or space or basic skills other than installation of product.
yours are looking worth everypart more than the $$$ Gowesty and such get for them. maybe like jack bombay hatch lift struts a small batch on occasion can return a reward for your innovation and efforts at a price below regular retail for such an item.

anyways thanks for the informative post.. it's very similiar to the mounts we made to hold the giant 8x12 house awnings on our family fleet of vans

what he said! I concur in spades!

I need to find someone around here with a garage that owns a westy, and likes beer... I will buy them all the beer just to hang out with them while they work on their rig. (Best way to learn is to watch and do.)

I'll find my van someday, or it will find me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning, Making your own NO WELD gutter mount! Reply with quote

Wow, what a great endorsement.

Dave, some have added a 3rd mount to the space at the back of the sliding door. you know more stays to hold the structure.

also while I know you don't want to go into business, your intention is to demonstrate the DIY economical approach. but some (many actually) don't have the time or space or basic skills other than installation of product.
yours are looking worth everypart more than the $$$ Gowesty and such get for them. maybe like jack bombay hatch lift struts a small batch on occasion can return a reward for your innovation and efforts at a price below regular retail for such an item.

anyways thanks for the informative post.. it's very similiar to the mounts we made to hold the giant 8x12 house awnings on our family fleet of vans
Jamo7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning, Making your own NO WELD gutter mount! Reply with quote

Dave,
Thank you so much for all of the time and detail devoted to this thread. While I plan to sometime soon get an ARB awning, the inspiration I get from this thread makes my day.
I knew I had found the right hobby when I realized how the VW (Turning drivers into mechanics...) Camper Van (the camping self-reliance ethic) combines things I was already passionate about. This thread personifies these ethics.
I have already learned so much by reading and am excited to learn more by doing. Thanks for the inspiration. Go Samba!!!
James
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning, Making your own NO WELD gutter mount! Reply with quote

I am over my infatuation with a sexy sleeker mount.....

I like these mounts I made, so much so that they are in the Soon to be painted line up.

I have some steel wheels to paint black (Ford F-150 black). I use an epoxy primer and singke stage auto body paint on steel wheels, tough stuff! Easy, Fast, quality, cheap.

I am debating going Black or Savannah Beige Metallic...... (Van color).

I did pick up some sleek button head Allen screws to replace the hex heads I have there now. Not theft proof but does require more than a pair of pliers to grip them.
These will go on before paint.

5/16-18 x 1/2" (8 ) for the fuxed mounting points
5/16-18 x 1 1/2" (4) for gutter clamp
6mm x 1.0 x 16. (6) for awning to mount

If anyone want any 6mm or 5/16-18x1/2" I had to purchase those by the box so I have extras. PM me, I'll slip them into an envelope for you.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning, Making your own NO WELD gutter mount! Reply with quote

This was simply a "How To" for making an ARB mount. I linked this thread into the ARB thread.
We can talk about making this or other mounts here......

For general ARB discussion, let's continue that in the ARB thread.....

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8011106#8011106

Thanks!

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning, Making your own NO WELD gutter mount! Reply with quote

Thanks!

There is only 2" left behind the rear mount, not much sliding is able to be done.

I think that's why there is chatter in the ARB thread about getting a 10' unit made.......

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning, Making your own NO WELD gutter mount! Reply with quote

Very nice. I set mine as forward as possible to cover more slider door opening. I put (split) fuel hose over the ends where they contact the paint in the gutter and a flattened section below the gutter.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: