Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone ever fail emissions because they can't get a CO reading?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:14 am    Post subject: Anyone ever fail emissions because they can't get a CO reading? Reply with quote

I've only had this issue since upgrading to the RMW SS exhaust system a few years back, but every time I go in for emissions they have a really hard time getting a CO reading. Every other time they have asked me to hold the RPMs a little higher for a minute or so in order to get a reading. This time they didn't do that. They said the problem is the tail pipe is angled and they can't get the probe all the way in (feel kind of dirty just typing that). The recommendation they gave me was to either extend the tailpipe or put a straight pipe in so they could get a reading. Seems silly to me but whatever.

They said they've had this issue with these before so I'm wondering if anyone else has had the same experience? If so, what did you do?
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever fail emissions because they can't get a CO reading? Reply with quote

Bring it back covered in mud and totally dirty. If it looks a little ugly maybe the probe won't be so..."stiff" Shocked Shocked

Hans

PS: sorry, I just couldn't resist!
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever fail emissions because they can't get a CO reading? Reply with quote

Haha, this topic is just to easy to poke jokes at. I was trying to contain myself while writing it.
Type17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever fail emissions because they can't get a CO reading? Reply with quote

Find another smog shop with a floppy probe.
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever fail emissions because they can't get a CO reading? Reply with quote

Quote:
Find another smog shop with a floppy probe.

This topic makes it really difficult to tell when someone is joking! Unfortunately here in Nashville there's one specific company that runs all 5 or 6 emissions testing stations and they all use the same probe.
tschroeder0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever fail emissions because they can't get a CO reading? Reply with quote

That seems bizarre to me, you have exhaust blasting any probe no matter how far in...did you ever figure out your idle issue?
When do you leave on the big trip?
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:48 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever fail emissions because they can't get a CO reading? Reply with quote

It's bizarre to me too! I don't know what the deal is. The funny thing is that whe I had a rusted out exhaust, headers cracked all around, I passed emissions no problem. Seal it tight with a new SS exhaust, and then I start getting complaints from the emissions team. If it comes to it I'll just leave town with tags that will expire but I was trying to at least be a good resident.
They admitted that it's a problem they have with vehicles like these on the rare occasion that they come through so I wonder why they haven't figured out a work around?

We leave on the 31st whether I pass emissions or not. That's a hard date so I will do what I can but we'll see what happens. If I can find a piece of pipe that with extend the tailpipe then I'll try going through with that but I really don't see how they can legally fail me because their probe can't get a reading. Good news is they didn't charge me the $9 for the test!

I haven't totally figured out my idle issue. I did fool around with the mixture, that seemed to help a bit but didn't solve it entirely. I'm at the point where I can't spend too much more time on it and just have to leave. Maybe someone I meet on the trip will have the magic fix.
Maybe it's you, Todd Wink
Either way you can show me that sweet syncro of yours and that may make me forget all of my idle problems.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:07 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever fail emissions because they can't get a CO reading? Reply with quote

Not to be simplistic but visit a good auto parts store and find a piece of straight exhaust pipe the fits in or over your tail pipe.

Most will have a decent selection of pipes and flanges, something should work.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever fail emissions because they can't get a CO reading? Reply with quote

Thanks, Dave. I was planning on doing just that later today after installing my jack Bombay shocks!
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever fail emissions because they can't get a CO reading? Reply with quote

blackglasspirate wrote:
It's bizarre to me too! I don't know what the deal is. The funny thing is that whe I had a rusted out exhaust, headers cracked all around, I passed emissions no problem. Seal it tight with a new SS exhaust, and then I start getting complaints from the emissions team. If it comes to it I'll just leave town with tags that will expire but I was trying to at least be a good resident.
They admitted that it's a problem they have with vehicles like these on the rare occasion that they come through so I wonder why they haven't figured out a work around?

We leave on the 31st whether I pass emissions or not. That's a hard date so I will do what I can but we'll see what happens. If I can find a piece of pipe that with extend the tailpipe then I'll try going through with that but I really don't see how they can legally fail me because their probe can't get a reading. Good news is they didn't charge me the $9 for the test!

I haven't totally figured out my idle issue. I did fool around with the mixture, that seemed to help a bit but didn't solve it entirely. I'm at the point where I can't spend too much more time on it and just have to leave. Maybe someone I meet on the trip will have the magic fix.
Maybe it's you, Todd Wink
Either way you can show me that sweet syncro of yours and that may make me forget all of my idle problems.

get a pipe extension to make them happy (a good shop should have an extension pipe) Be glad you are not in califonia, that $9 smog test would be closer to $30 or maybe more in major metro areas. smog tests, what a damn racket.

all you californians, be sure to contact your state reps and urge them to pass SB1239 a bill to end smog tests for pre 81 vehicles. may not help if you have a newer van, but one step at a time

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Guybrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever fail emissions because they can't get a CO reading? Reply with quote

When I passed the emissions here last November, it took 3 or 4 tries to get the reading at load, having to redo the whole thing each time. Eventually it went through but I'm not sure if they knew if it was my van or the machine.
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever fail emissions because they can't get a CO reading? Reply with quote

I ended up just taking the tailpipe off so they could get the sensor directly into the muffler. There was more room to get the sensor in there than the tailpipe. Luckily it worked and I was able to pass! HC was a little high (183, passing is 220), but my CO was lower than last year (.75).

Now I don't have to deal with this headache for another year!
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever fail emissions because they can't get a CO reading? Reply with quote

Coming into this late and just as an aside, usually not getting a strong exhaust reading points to exhaust leak(s). I've had this happen before even with small header cracks which were cheap to weld up.

It's true with the stock wbxer engines that the wand really needs to be shoved in there to get an accurate exhaust reading but that shouldn't have much to do with not being able to get any reading at all.

I'd recommend you get under there for a few minutes and have a good look at all your pipes with a flashlight and mirror to make sure there aren't any cracks forming, and that all the joints are strongly clamped with good gaskets. Cracks will often show up due to thin walled pipes and multiple heat/cooling sessions.
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever fail emissions because they can't get a CO reading? Reply with quote

WestyBob wrote:
Coming into this late and just as an aside, usually not getting a strong exhaust reading points to exhaust leak(s). I've had this happen before even with small header cracks which were cheap to weld up.

It's true with the stock wbxer engines that the wand really needs to be shoved in there to get an accurate exhaust reading but that shouldn't have much to do with not being able to get any reading at all.

I'd recommend you get under there for a few minutes and have a good look at all your pipes with a flashlight and mirror to make sure there aren't any cracks forming, and that all the joints are strongly clamped with good gaskets. Cracks will often show up due to thin walled pipes and multiple heat/cooling sessions.

Thanks for the tip. The funny thing is that I only started having problems with emissions testing AFTER putting on a brand new SS exhaust system. When I had my old exhaust that had holes rusted through and headers cracked all the way through I passed no problem.

Either way, it can't hurt to double check for cracks. I've been under there a lot lately and haven't seen any, but using a mirror is a good idea.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever fail emissions because they can't get a CO reading? Reply with quote

You can also check for leaks by passing your hand near the exhaust as soon as it is started but before it gets too hot. Easy to feel the puff of a leak this way. Make take a couple times to be able to test the entire exhaust.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever fail emissions because they can't get a CO reading? Reply with quote

I have had issues with WBX's with non stock cams getting a good base reading on the machine due to the choppy idle. If I remember correctly you have a van that is idling very poorly? Coupled with the tuned exhaust.. pretty sure this could be the problem.
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever fail emissions because they can't get a CO reading? Reply with quote

jberger wrote:
I have had issues with WBX's with non stock cams getting a good base reading on the machine due to the choppy idle. If I remember correctly you have a van that is idling very poorly? Coupled with the tuned exhaust.. pretty sure this could be the problem.

Good point! That's good to know. Yeah my idle isn't that great - it's been a saga for sure. It's not that bad once fully warm, but still a bit choppy.
spacecadet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever fail emissions because they can't get a CO reading? Reply with quote

I had the issue with bad piston rings. Compression was around 120's in all 4 cylinders but when I took the heads off, 2 cylinders definitely had bad rings.
1986 Mercedes 300 Coupe (Sold)
1954 Volvo PV544 (Sold)
1990 Dodge D250 Cummins (Totaled)
1990 Vanagon GL 2.1 Automatic (Sold)
1968 Ford F250(Current)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: