Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rubber Step Pad Adhesive
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GreenMachineVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:46 pm    Post subject: Rubber Step Pad Adhesive Reply with quote

What has anyone used, and with what success, to adhere the front rubber step pads (http://www.busdepot.com/251863735) into place? Preferable something that can be removed when replacing the step pad next time.

Thanks for all ideas and suggestions.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Rubber Step Pad Adhesive Reply with quote

What's wrong with snapping them in place as they are intended to be installed?
Microbusdeluxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Rubber Step Pad Adhesive Reply with quote

You would think that they would snap in place, but the crappy quality of the ones I bought from Go Westy did not line up with the holes in the floor and even the tabs that did line up were either too big or too small to hold tight.

That rant over with, I used a spray adhesive on both surfaces and then piled some weights and clamps on them to get a good bond.
'81 Westy sold
'89 hightop Westy Joker syncro 16" now with Bostig!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
goffoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Rubber Step Pad Adhesive Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
What's wrong with snapping them in place as they are intended to be installed?

Great concept..reality NO the "After Market product" is garbage Rolling Eyes
doesn't fit blah blah blah.
don't waste your time and money. weld up the holes and source a better product....ie linex or monsterliner

Me... I cut up some cheap FLAPS mats to fit, and glued them down with left over windshield adhesive.
3 yrs still working great. pics out there somewhere Rolling Eyes
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Rubber Step Pad Adhesive Reply with quote

I worry about just using the rubber pegs to hold it in place. Water gets up through those imperfect seals and sits under the mat. Since it's road grime water it can have chemicals. I'd find a way to seal the mat down with adhesive and then seal the rubber pegs under the car against intrusion.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
SteveVanB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Rubber Step Pad Adhesive Reply with quote

I vote for welding em up. I think the knockouts from metal electrical boxes are the perfect size. And then, x2 on the windshield adhesive to glue down whatever you choose. Could even shave off the plug things from the original pads...
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Rubber Step Pad Adhesive Reply with quote

Anyone have experience using seam sealer on the rubber pegs underneath ?
Not sure they will ever come off without a grinder. But I'm thinking it will protect from water intrusion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Rubber Step Pad Adhesive Reply with quote

Hmmm... Maybe GW recently changed their supplier of these. I bought the GW pads 2 years ago, snapped them in (with a little effort and the handle of a screwdriver), and have had no issues since.

http://www.gowesty.com/product-details.php?v=&id=24295
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Rubber Step Pad Adhesive Reply with quote

I welded up the center seam section and shaved the plugs in that part of the stock pads. After applying bedliner, I glued the pad down and sealed the remaining plugs from below with urethane

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Rubber Step Pad Adhesive Reply with quote

Yeah, extra steps to seal are wise. It was a bad design from the start. A measly plug that will loosen up and shrink over time on the bottom of the van right in the firing line of road grime and water spray. Not a good spot for such a casual physical connection bound to degrade. Water gets through anything. Its why so many of us pull these up and find rust. So seal it off aggressively!! Some good stuff here on doing precisely that.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Rubber Step Pad Adhesive Reply with quote

Yeah...... I've been pondering this very question.

I have OG step pads but I've installed Bully steps. While right now they have hex head bols I Plan on installing Elevator bolts in their stead.

I am hoping the stock pads still fit securely but if not I've been thinking of alternative fastening possibilities.......

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert

Last edited by djkeev on Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Rubber Step Pad Adhesive Reply with quote

3m 5200 adhesive will probably work, but it is a "permanent" adhesive.
Double check about it working on the rubber pad just to be sure. Comes in white and black.
Forthwithtx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Rubber Step Pad Adhesive Reply with quote

I had the same fitment issues. I used this:

http://www.aaaindustrialsupply.com/SpraywaySW092FastTackHi-TempHeavyDutyTrimAdhesive.aspx

Same stuff that Sewfine recommends for the carpet kits.

'84 GL with 2001/2004 Subaru 2.5L
Signalocity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Rubber Step Pad Adhesive Reply with quote

I got some from Van Cafe a bit ago, no issue with the fit. They popped right into place.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Rubber Step Pad Adhesive Reply with quote

I have three 1986 Vanagons here......

Every one of them has an adhesive under the foot pad.
After 30 years it is still flexible.

It has an amber color (which could be age) and it is a very rubbery type of adhesive that you can rub off with your thumb, not unlike dried rubber cement.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Rubber Step Pad Adhesive Reply with quote

Why wouldn't rubber cement work as long as you make sure to seal the holes for water entry.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Rubber Step Pad Adhesive Reply with quote

Urethane rubber cement would work great.
Microbusdeluxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Rubber Step Pad Adhesive Reply with quote

Reviving this thread. I'm doing some minor rust mitigation and discovered that the rubber step pad on the right side had worked its way loose and allowed water and road grime to enter under it and cause rust. I'm not happy with the plugs that don't fit and allow water entry. I don't have a welder so I plan on doing this:

1. Clean up and de-rust the step area.
2. Using 3M 2 part body adhesive, the same stuff I'm using on my seams, I plan to glue covers for the holes using pieces of an aluminum Coke can.
3. Prime & paint the whole area.
4. When my new pad arrives I'll cut off the protrusions and using spray adhesive to attach the new pad.
5. Clean up the underside and then spray Hardwax undercoating over the whole area.

Comments/suggestions/advice?
'81 Westy sold
'89 hightop Westy Joker syncro 16" now with Bostig!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: