Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westy Sink / Stove Dimensions
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:28 pm    Post subject: Westy Sink / Stove Dimensions Reply with quote

Does someone have the dims of an original Westfalia sink stove unit (height x width x depth)? I'm thinking about building a custom sink & stove cabinet for my tintop, and I'd like to keep it about the same size.

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Sink / Stove Dimensions Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=414383 🍺
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Sink / Stove Dimensions Reply with quote

That's perfect Kam.

Question: on the width, is the 35.5" the max you can have it before it hits the deployed bed?

Also, for folks who own a Westy, what would you change on the stove/sink cabinet? Height, depth, move space for a different fridge, etc?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Sink / Stove Dimensions Reply with quote

tjet wrote:

Question: on the width, is the 35.5" the max you can have it before it hits the deployed bed?

Pretty much.

tjet wrote:
Also, for folks who own a Westy, what would you change on the stove/sink cabinet? Height, depth, move space for a different fridge, etc?

The Westy kitchen is fine for me. But if I were starting from scratch I'd make the sink a little larger and have a corner drain to allow for a proper-size drawer, change the stove grate style, and put an adjustable shelf in the cabinet. As for the fridge, for me, I'd put a drawer above a Truckfridge.
2016 Golf GTI S
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Sink / Stove Dimensions Reply with quote

So a sink like this one vs the Westy round one?

Last edited by tjet on Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Sink / Stove Dimensions Reply with quote

I’d put a drawer below a truckfridge. btdt. If you put a tf65 up high it will fit flush to the cabinet since it is above the ridge on the floor.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Sink / Stove Dimensions Reply with quote

tjet wrote:

Technically, the deployed bed and the fridge cabinet don't interfere with one another, so the cabinet could be longer. But if the bed were any longer, or the fridge located further rearward, the bed would prevent the fridge door from opening/closing.

Which really complicates drinking beer in bed ...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
maco70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Westy Sink / Stove Dimensions Reply with quote

I’d would like a higher than 2.75 inches for the top, then I would have ease to put a soap dispenser.

The soap dispenser reservoir then would be under the sink, and the arm would goes in the sink, as we see often in a house kitchen.

An idea - hope it helps.

1986 Vanagon GL full camper westfalia
(brown/tan interior)
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Westy Sink / Stove Dimensions Reply with quote

maco70 wrote:
I’d would like a higher than 2.75 inches for the top, then I would have ease to put a soap dispenser.

The soap dispenser reservoir then would be under the sink, and the arm would goes in the sink, as we see often in a house kitchen.

An idea - hope it helps.

Here's one.
Member 1621 his install.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...=soap+1621

'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
izzydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Westy Sink / Stove Dimensions Reply with quote

Ever tried to wash your face in that sink? It's like camping out in the Barbie Camper. Who's head can actually fit in there? LOL

Part of that problem is the stove/sink lid - it's in the way. If I were rebuilding the stove/sink, I think would have a lid that could work with a hinge and also be detachable. Maybe even use the detached lid as a table.

A larger sink would be nice. You could fit one in by only using one larger burner for the stove. I rarely ever use two burners at once and a larger burner would get the job done faster and take up half the space.

There are some really nice sink/burner combos out there. Some also have lids that are much less bulky than the Westy one.

I put a drawer underneath my TF49 mostly because it's rectangular shaped and not oval shaped like the sink drawer. I thought that if those two shapes were side by side (drawer at the top of fridge) it would look odd.

[/img]
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Sink / Stove Dimensions Reply with quote

maco70 wrote:

An idea - hope it helps.

Good info. I'm going to put that into consideration. Thanks

izzydog wrote:
Ever tried to wash your face in that sink? It's like camping out in the Barbie Camper. Who's head can actually fit in there? LOL

Part of that problem is the stove/sink lid - it's in the way. If I were rebuilding the stove/sink, I think would have a lid that could work with a hinge and also be detachable. Maybe even use the detached lid as a table.

A larger sink would be nice. You could fit one in by only using one larger burner for the stove. I rarely ever use two burners at once and a larger burner would get the job done faster and take up half the space.

There are some really nice sink/burner combos out there. Some also have lids that are much less bulky than the Westy one.

I put a drawer underneath my TF49 mostly because it's rectangular shaped and not oval shaped like the sink drawer. I thought that if those two shapes were side by side (drawer at the top of fridge) it would look odd.

Good point. I just bought this sink in the classifieds. It's out of a Country Homes van. Measures 11-3/4 x 12-3/4. 5" deep.

Thanks for the input on the Truckfridge and cooking burner use. Those two subjects will be on another post.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Sink / Stove Dimensions Reply with quote

izzydog wrote:

For me, it's plates. Just barely smaller than the sink; if one is set in the sink by itself, let an hour of cussing begin.😂

izzydog wrote:
I put a drawer underneath my TF49 mostly because it's rectangular shaped and not oval shaped like the sink drawer.

That looks really nice.👍
2016 Golf GTI S
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Sink / Stove Dimensions Reply with quote

Quote:

On the Westy kitchen I'd probably make it 6" taller for a better working heiht and to provide more storage.

I'd make much better use of the storage space using drawers and pullouts that allow for more use of the space. There are too many vacant spaces in a Westy cabinet.

I really like having front-loading fridge v. a top-loader.

The square sink makes sense.

I like the cover over the sink/stove but also see great designs that make a flat workspace with covers that remove from the stove and sink.

There are some great ideas floating around in the kitchen threads.

Nacho has awesome cabinets. Superb design and execution and three(!) burner stove.

http://www.drivenachodrive.com/about-nacho/virtual-cabinets-for-a-real-world-nacho-bus/

http://www.drivenachodrive.com/about-nacho/installing-custom-cabinets-in-nacho-vanagon/

I'm looking forward to seeing what you build!

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Sink / Stove Dimensions Reply with quote

Dang, that's really nice...

This is more my speed

Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:20 am    Post subject: Re: Westy Sink / Stove Dimensions Reply with quote

tjet wrote:

This is more my speed

I would love to have one of these in my Tintop as well

'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:15 am    Post subject: Re: Westy Sink / Stove Dimensions Reply with quote

So I've been pondering over the overall size of my custom sink / stove cabinet for my tintop passenger van. I've been scratching my head on the stove height because of my current "low" ceiling. I came up with the idea to make it adjustable from aprox 28" to 36" by sliding out the counter top & putting it in lower grooves.

The unit itself will be 34" high by 36" wide. Eventually, after I install a poptop or highroof, I can raise the unit 2 more inches with blocks to a total height of 36", which incidentally, is the most common stove height in the US. The 34 & 36" heights would be flush with the counter. The width measurement is approximate, dependent on z-bed clearance.

I'm still working on the details for the Truckfridge placement, drawers, and a recessed folding leaf on the aft side.

The side panel facing the sliding door will have a removable screen to fill in the adjustable height gap.

I will make a mock up first to see if I like or hate it.

https://www.dometic.com/en-us/us/products/food-and...ifications
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: