Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

ImAddicted's driveway build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: ImAddicted's driveway build Reply with quote

ImAddicted wrote:

Takeaway: this is a 20w panel being sold as 100w. I'm going to pick up and Eco Solar 100w non-flex panel, they just went on sale for $72 (poly) and see how it compares.

Thank you so much for this. I "almost" bought one but the delivery ETA was October.
I have a decent 20w panel that keeps up with my needs but I need a panel that will charge faster in case I go on a week long camp.
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: ImAddicted's driveway build Reply with quote

Replaced manifold to plenum boots today, went smoothly. Actually wasn’t as bad as I thought it was going to be. Found it easiest to put them on the plenum, then wiggle, squirm, and swear pushing the manifolds in over fighting trying to get them in the plenum as second step.

Interesting discovery, ALL the braided “German” vacuum hoses I replaced Last summer (and maybe 30 minutes runtime during that period) are junk. Not one wasn’t split and dried out. The big one from the plenum to AAR crumbled taking it off. So, I replaced them all, this time with Gates from NAPA. Figured since I had everything apart and had to make the 90 minutes drive to the store, I did all the fuel lines and injector seals. Got it buttoned up before the rain came, tomorrow hopefully will run better than it did before:). Still waiting on my windshield to arrive Sad
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: ImAddicted's driveway build Reply with quote

It's amazon how quickly some rubber decomposes. I recently replaced my injector seals after only a couple years. The old ones were dried up and cracked.
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: ImAddicted's driveway build Reply with quote

cmonSTART wrote:
It's amazon how quickly some rubber decomposes. I recently replaced my injector seals after only a couple years. The old ones were dried up and cracked.

Pissed me off as that kit wasn’t cheap for hoses. 3 injector seals were trashed, one in two pieces that fell off when I pulled the injector. I did the seals two years ago. The Gates fuel line was still nice, but figured since was all apart might as well do them.
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: ImAddicted's driveway build Reply with quote

FedEx lost my windshield so while trying to source another one, I finally wrapped up the last of my electrical upgrades. Final step is some wire organization, will plug away at that this week.

Big shoutout to Scott (Hobo Bus) for sharing his knowledge and guidance on getting the winch wired up and working. Yessir, you are right, this little puppy hits above it’s weight class. Pulled my Nitro (4100#) up a small incline in the backyard with a single snatch block. I’m pleased. Gotta ditch the bracket in front of the fairlead so I can properly wind the cable.

Switching solenoid and wireless control, wired up from battery to solenoid to winch with 0/2 cable.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Mounted and wired up some 27w LEDs front and rear on the rack, switched from the cab so I can select front, back or both.

When combined with 200w LED headlights and old school 100w incandescent auxiliary lights, throws some good daylight forward and back, plus good broad downward out the side windows without glare Smile

Back

Front (LED directional/parking lights as well)

LEDs for license light, stop, turn, parking)

Interior floor well light triggered off door switch or toggle

Still need to chase down no cold idle issue and GET MY DAMN WINDSHIELD!
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: ImAddicted's driveway build Reply with quote

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HoboBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: ImAddicted's driveway build Reply with quote

ImAddicted wrote:

Gotta ditch the bracket in front of the fairlead so I can properly wind the cable.

Switching solenoid and wireless control, wired up from battery to solenoid to winch with 0/2 cable.

Sweet, nice job. Yeah that bracket in front of the hawse fairlead looks a little goofy.

You're on it, you want the smooth edges of the hawse so as to not damage your wire rope, and the wider opening so the rope lays properly on the winch drum. It's all piled up in the center.

I've probably got a roller fairlead around here for the EX1, but the hawse is ok and is simpler.

Hard to see the detail of the winch mount - make sure it's solid. Kinda looks like it's welded to the nose sheetmetal of the bus...

Otherwise looks good! Cool

Just a beach-oriented camping Hobo with a bus.
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: ImAddicted's driveway build Reply with quote

HoboBus wrote:

Hard to see the detail of the winch mount - make sure it's solid. Kinda looks like it's welded to the nose sheetmetal of the bus...

Otherwise looks good! Cool
LOL, it is but not for strength. The back of the mount - after I had it tied into the chassis - was closer to the nose than I anticipated so I tacked it on so on the off chance it rubbed, I wouldn't get a hidden rust spot.

The mount has 2"x1/4" steel stock down through cutouts in the deformation panel to the frame rails, then I plated the deformation panel under the winch with (6"x1/4") out to one foot on either side, boxed it in behind the bumper, tied all that together, and bolted the mount to that as well as extra security. Added about 40lbs in steel to secure it.

Again, thanks for you messages and guidance!
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: ImAddicted's driveway build Reply with quote

So my regional place stopped taking my calls and emails after FedEx lost the windshield so I went back on the hunt.

https://www.windshieldstogo.com/

Thought it was going to be some scam because the website ordering page is stuck in the 90s, but nope. Ordered Thursday around noon. Got an email back at 4:04 pm that I could pick it up the next day - $195 ($100 less than cash-n-carry from the glass place) and a one hour road trip down and hour back. Worth it. They only had the banded one so if that is an issue for you, they might have the other one in your area. Took longer to put the seal on the window (WCM) than it did to put the windshield in, less than 10 minutes from lifting it in the hole to peeling off the stickers and putting the wipers back on.

To:

... in less time than it took to do my back window. The windshield had to be the easiest of all of them.

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: ImAddicted's driveway build Reply with quote

Yeah, if you don't mind the blue strip, then those can be had a plenty. Looks good. My OCD was peaked with that old one. Rolling Eyes Laughing

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: ImAddicted's driveway build Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Yeah, if you don't mind the blue strip, then those can be had a plenty. Looks good. My OCD was peaked with that old one. Rolling Eyes Laughing

Lol, I would sit in the seat and pretend it’s winter...
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: ImAddicted's driveway build Reply with quote

So had one of those “duh, you’re an idiot” moments today. I spent most of the day replacing swing arm bushing and cranking the right side up another half an inch, it had settled after my first adjustment. This thing has NEVER idled when cold. Never. I replaced all the vacuum lines, gaskets, intake boots, cleaned injectors, new seals, bypassed the TS2 with a potentiometer, all the right stuff. Every time I took stuff off, I carefully marked where everything was, took pics, and double checked when done. Sooooooo, my next item to check tomorrow was going to be the AAR. In prep, I started reading everything here on the subject. One thing bugged me...

What’s wrong with this picture?
Where’s the feed hose?
F**k
Looked on Ratwell.
Went outside with flashlight and looked at the routing.
Looked closer. Looked around. Why is the charcoal canister hose disappearing up the vent above the battery???
Sometime in its past, someone ziptied the charcoal hose up the chimney. Guess where the feed line for the AAR is?
Yup.
Goes from the s-boot to to the EEG.
I think I might have found my vacuum leak...
Will see tomorrow if it runs any better once I put shit where it belongs Sad.
GRRRRRRRRRRR.
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: ImAddicted's driveway build Reply with quote

Well, what do you know, if you have the hoses routed CORRECTLY, it runs much better:). Now it idles smoothly as long as I want. Checked dwell, 47.7. Timing set. Battery isolator hooked up and working correctly. Brakes bled, ebrake adjusted. Just need tags and I’m on the road!

Got this for my 8th birthday in 1974. Tuned it up and it fired right off. Something satisfying about a rugged, simple, and reliable tool Smile.

ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: ImAddicted's driveway build Reply with quote

25.5 degrees out back, just the right lift I think. Cannot wait time get tagged and rolling.

wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: ImAddicted's driveway build Reply with quote

Are those old school KC Daylighters? I scored a set on a yard sale but one lamp is missing the mounting hardware/washers so still waiting to mount. They look good.
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: ImAddicted's driveway build Reply with quote

wagohn wrote:
Are those old school KC Daylighters? I scored a set on a yard sale but one lamp is missing the mounting hardware/washers so still waiting to mount. They look good.

I wish:( they are Blazers, a cheap knockoff, though they do throw good light, at least testing in the yard, plus they have at “classic” look, I think.
Yarkle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: ImAddicted's driveway build Reply with quote

they look dank!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=771024&highlight=
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: ImAddicted's driveway build Reply with quote

looking good my man. youve got alot done in the last year. were still on for pig on oct 10. hope to have you and your girl come join us.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: ImAddicted's driveway build Reply with quote

ImAddicted wrote:
wagohn wrote:

I wish:( they are Blazers, a cheap knockoff, though they do throw good light, at least testing in the yard, plus they have at “classic” look, I think.

They look sweet.
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: ImAddicted's driveway build Reply with quote

Super night out today, not too warm, not too cool. Checked a few more things off my list. Replaced section of fuel sender wire that got hosed when I had the fire, now know how much gas I have. Helpful Smile. Wired up some LED marker lights in the rear, cleaned up some grounds while back there. Mounted them higher than stock For better visibility.

Hooked up the halos as DRL, repurposed the rear defroster switch To turn on/off. The lights i bought are capable of integrating with the turn signals so while I had everything apart, hooked those up, too.

Link

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: