Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

ImAddicted's driveway build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: ImAddicted's driveway build Reply with quote

Finally got moved back home after wintering in another town due to the drought. Been working in stuff this weekend from my “when spring hits” list since it is the first weekend without snow or rain. Yesterday discovered not charging. Thanks to Wildthings and Telford, chased it down to a bad B+ connection. On a positive note, now have a new VR soone less thing to worry about. Smile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Now with new wire

Wanted to reconfigure how I carry my tires, like it better with them side by side, frees up cargo space. Improved my mounts as well, more secure plus added a few brackets as hold downs.

Wired up a couple of little LEDs for directional indicators so can see which one I forgot to shut off Smile. No pic, but they work as I hoped. Put in the Jones futons, almost perfect fit

Picked up a couple of USB fans ver the winter. This week... PLATES!

Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: ImAddicted's driveway build Reply with quote

ImAddicted wrote:

GNARLY DUDE! (Spicoli voice)

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: ImAddicted's driveway build Reply with quote

So of course, things never go as planned. Went to get plates Friday, have to go to BMV as they don’t do antique plates locally (something they didn’t specify online). So two hour drive one way on a work day wasn’t going to happen, so now will have to schedule a day off to do it:(.
So, I puttered around - dodging scattered t-storms because of course it would do that only on the weekends - wrapping up a few little things. Finished wiring up a few more 12v outlets out back, organized some wiring, Set up an old iPhone as a speedo since my cable is bad and they are NLA. Got a chuckle, the app has preset speed markers for various road types - urban, non urban, highway with the last one called “mine” which I assume is as fast as you dare to go. The preset was 95. Yeh, I put it down to 60 Smile.

Connected the solar panel, got electrons moving Smile. Battery was already charged up the other night so pretty much replacing (bottom) what I was drawing (top).

Deputy stopped by with some paperwork from a call Friday night. We chatted a bit, asked me when it was going to be in the road, told him the situation. Looks at me and says “I’m going to be patrolling 30 miles that way for the next two hours and I’m the only one on this shift for this part of the county. Would be a shame to let this sunshine go to waste.” 😊 So, took it for a short spin to fill the tank, down to the station for a bath, and a run through Dunks for an iced coffee. Ran wonderful Smile Tires aren’t nearly as loud as I expected them to be.

Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: ImAddicted's driveway build Reply with quote

Looks like eBay has your speedometer cable.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324422830779
’65 Deluxe Build
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: ImAddicted's driveway build Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
Looks like eBay has your speedometer cable.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324422830779

Oh wow, thanks!
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: ImAddicted's driveway build Reply with quote

And pig party north has your cable too.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: ImAddicted's driveway build Reply with quote

Jetfxr69 wrote:
And pig party north has your cable too.

HA! I'm taking a week off in a few weeks, think it might be a good time to come over and check out the Pig Party North VW Ranch Smile
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: ImAddicted's driveway build Reply with quote

It’s legal Smile. Took it down for gas, almost made it back lol. Died about 300’ form the driveway. Walk up to the house to change clothes so I can try to get it home, walk in the door and the lady is laughing and calling me a dumbass 😁😁😁😁 she heard it die on me and we are under a storm watch. Yeh, I’ll hear about this one for a while. Suspected clogged fuel filter, went to put in spare, no fuel coming out of the hose. Blew back into the tank thinking maybe plugged with crud, nope, blew clear and easy. Loosened gas cap...
Fuel flow. So I’m guessing I’ve got a vent issue. Still didn’t run awesome rest of way back, had to have the TS2 bypass cranked up. Pump doesn’t sound normal either, used to be fairly loud, now it’s not. Might have damaged it with lack of fuel. So, I’ll start with the vent issue and go from there.

ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: ImAddicted's driveway build Reply with quote

New fuel pump is here, but the humidity is oppressive so that’s not happening this weekend. Going to take the rack off unless need it, too damn loud. Not sure a dam on the front will help or not, might try that at some point but for now, easier to just take it off. Noticed some timing scatter, checked, fiber washer is MIA. So, this arrived this morning, I’ll do the rebuild inside in front of the AC.

Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: ImAddicted's driveway build Reply with quote

That rack amd tires is going to mean you can never park downtown in the parking garage

Laughing

Good luck tracking down the vent problem.
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: ImAddicted's driveway build Reply with quote

Did you get a ham radio mounted? I spy an antenna.
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: ImAddicted's driveway build Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
That rack amd tires is going to mean you can never park downtown in the parking garage

Laughing

Good luck tracking down the vent problem.

Lol, as it is it hits branches coming into the driveway Smile.
Thanks, I has me a bit baffled. I had no issues with flow a few weeks ago, not sure what changed. Hoping to hit it today before the heat gets too bad

cmonSTART wrote:
Did you get a ham radio mounted? I spy an antenna.

Yessuh, a vintage (1991) Realistic HXT 2m. Pretty basic but puts out a little over 65w on high, though I can hear the house battery scream when I key the mic Smile have a Midland 23 Chan CB as well.

cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: ImAddicted's driveway build Reply with quote

Nice! 65 watts is pretty huge for a mobile rig! Shocked
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: ImAddicted's driveway build Reply with quote

The guy I got it from was using it as a base, he tweaked it a little. Stock it is supposed to be 45w. Unfortunately - like so many bus parts - the mic is NLA so I have a generic Icom. Programming is a bitch without the key pad and it is too old to use software. I can hit the Hanover repeater from driveway on a good day. I just got a 1.25m radio, you still hanging out on 6m?
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: ImAddicted's driveway build Reply with quote

Weekend didn't go as planned, tourist season started way early this year (expected) and the water temps still cold (also expected, and broadcast, and systematically ignored by the aforementioned tourists) so didn't get nearly as much time this weekend as I had hoped. I start vacation on Friday so hoping to get some quality time in on it. Was hoping to do exploring on vacation but it is what it is.
I did pull the rack, will have to see how the rear suspension settles after a short drive to see if I need to do any adjustments back there to be gentle on the CVs and see about stability. Kinda hope not, I like it up there a bit more but caution is better part of valor. Not sure if will make the lights that are on the rack quick connect, or move them to the front and rear bumpers. Will see...

Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: ImAddicted's driveway build Reply with quote

Im back home this friday for 4 days. Got the kid with the vanagon rack replacement on his way. Lift is open and fridge is full.

Although, you may not want a full look from below. The list will get long quickly.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: ImAddicted's driveway build Reply with quote

Looks awesome, ImAddicted.

Can you provide any information about your headlights? I didn't see anywhere if you actually mentioned them by name. I saw them on a Vanagon this weekend and I love the look in person. I tried googling around but I didn't find the exact one you have, the same I saw this weekend.

Thanks, happy travels!
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: ImAddicted's driveway build Reply with quote

secretsubmariner wrote:
Looks awesome, ImAddicted.

Can you provide any information about your headlights? I didn't see anywhere if you actually mentioned them by name. I saw them on a Vanagon this weekend and I love the look in person. I tried googling around but I didn't find the exact one you have, the same I saw this weekend.

Thanks, happy travels!

I got them off Ebay, there's a ton of them out there, my guess is they are all from the same factory with a different label. Look for "Jeep" and not "VW." They are not the expensive ones that some get and love. That being said, they work pretty nicely to me with sharp cutoff, good color (not blueish), and fit fine. At the price of the expensive ones, I can get 5-6 of these so even if they die in a year, I'm no further behind. Plus, they are listed singly for motorcycles so getting one unit if one STB is easy. They don't require any modification to install so can swap out in the same amount of time as a sealed beam.

The ones I got are branded KEENAXIS, cost me $35 for the pair shipped.

ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: ImAddicted's driveway build Reply with quote

Gorgeous day in the north woods. Jetfxr69 made the trip over from NH in Seamus to help me sort out my fuel issues. While waiting, I rebuilt my distributor. Wasnt difficult thanks to Robbie’s well documented post (thanks, man) and definitely needed. You can see why I had some timing scatter, no fiber washer Sad.

Jay pulled in, we scoped out the situation, and decided best course of action was to replace the crusty metal line from the outlet to the filter, so hopped in his bus and went to FLAPs. Seamus rides nice Smile. Back at the homestead, got to work. Took a couple gallon bath of 89 octane when the outlet blew a hole Sad. Drained the tank so can patch it up. Yes, the proper fix is a new tank. That will happen, but for short term, patch is happening. We found that sometime in the past, instead of just putting a new hose from the hard line to the filter, a PO sliced two together. While that on the surface isn’t horrible, the two piece fitting the used is about 3mm ID on one side. No wonder the flow sucked.
We fixed my lid prop, foundawonderfulPO hack on the accelerator linkage, and had a good day. Was too gassy and busy to get pics, but did get one of Jay heading home Smile.

Like the recent thread covers, there are good people on TS. Thanks for the help, Jay:).
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: ImAddicted's driveway build Reply with quote

You meet the nicest people on a Honda.

Or something like that.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: