Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

tires for stock 14 rims- I read sticky
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lqqkatjon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:13 am    Post subject: tires for stock 14 rims- I read sticky Reply with quote

Looking at the sticky, and doing some searching on the Web, I am asking the question: What tires to put on my Thing??

I do not want to change rims, and trying to keep most things stock, not for looks sake, just don't think anything needs to be changed if not needed.

I like the idea of having a little more off road tire look, in my opinion a thing is more of dual purpose car, then just an on road car.

I am posting, because in my searches, it might seem the tire selection is getting limited every year, and most posts are older, and I can't seem to find the same tire mentioned or pictured in earlier parts of the sticky thread. So wondering what fits, and what people are buying?

My original hope was a BFG AT tire. but I just looked and it does not show 14" anymore?

I like this:
https://www.universaltire.com/truck-and-military/truck/e78-14-sta-super-traxion.html

but price is a little steep, and do not see any speed ratings. My Thing will be a daily driver, with it's primary purpose to be hauled behind our camper when we go places. My camper routinely does 70-80mph. I also do not want to add any rougher ride unintentionally by picking the wrong tire.

I am not too concerned about a tire that fits for a spare, but I would like to try to go as big of a tire as I can without rubbing, not just for looks, but also to help the gearing/top speed out. Also do not want anything wider then what fender can cover.

What have people been buying lately? and where have you been buying them?
tmitoraj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: tires for stock 14 rims- I read sticky Reply with quote

I have those tires. No rubbing unless the wheels are really turned right or left. I have fiberglass replacement fenders. Will not fit as spare.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: tires for stock 14 rims- I read sticky Reply with quote

I am very happy with my Yokohama Y356 LT195-75-R14 tires.
Their 25.8" diameter is just about perfect; my speedometer reading is very close to that on my GPS.

Overall Diameter: 25.8"
Overall Width: 7.7"
Ply Rating: D (8 ply) Tubeless
Rim Width: 5.0" to 6.0"
Tread Depth: 11/32
Load: 1710 lbs @ 65 psi

I bought 5 of them in 2014 because my spare tire was an un-used original spare, meaning I was driving around without a usable spare tire.
This size fits comfortably in the stock spare tire location in the trunk.

I only drive my Thing on roads, but I do regularly drive at highway speeds.
The Yokohama's are not the prettiest tires, but they provide a nice, stable, predictable ride. They're about a hundred bucks a pop.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Good luck, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ente_kaefer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: tires for stock 14 rims- I read sticky Reply with quote

I installed Douglas Xtra Trac II, 205/75 R 14 tires, on stock rims, on my vehicle.

Could not beat the price, $ 55 each before mounting and balancing at a local Walmart !!

I purchased a wheel adapter so that the tires could be mounted on the rims, and Walmart was the only, local 'shop' that would do so for me.

The tires have done well for me with local as well as some highway driving, in 'normal,' wet, and snowy days.
lqqkatjon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: tires for stock 14 rims- I read sticky Reply with quote

ente_kaefer wrote:
I installed Douglas Xtra Trac II, 205/75 R 14 tires, on stock rims, on my vehicle.

Could not beat the price, $ 55 each before mounting and balancing at a local Walmart !!

I purchased a wheel adapter so that the tires could be mounted on the rims, and Walmart was the only, local 'shop' that would do so for me.

The tires have done well for me with local as well as some highway driving, in 'normal,' wet, and snowy days.

Any pictures of them mounted up?
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: tires for stock 14 rims- I read sticky Reply with quote

Hello,
I put a set of Wintermark HT 205 75R 14 tires on my 181. Purchased from Flynn Tires (maybe just an Ohio chain...I don't know). They are made by Republic. Heavy lug, no rubbing issues, nice ride, reasonable price. Nice stance and one of the few aggresive tread 14 inch tires you can get without spending an arm and a leg now days.
Thank you all for the interest!
Joe

This is actually a copy of a reply from 2013 on another post. here is a picture showing the tires.
ente_kaefer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: tires for stock 14 rims- I read sticky Reply with quote

lqqkatjon wrote:
ente_kaefer wrote:

Item below is from the Summer of 2015 when I was working on my vehicle, let me try to get some pictures posted from the side as well as angled of my vehicle.

I like the 'wide' look of the tires, and the tread pattern is just aggressive enough not to look like 'civilian' tires . . .

ente_kaefer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: tires for stock 14 rims- I read sticky Reply with quote

lqqkatjon wrote:
ente_kaefer wrote:

As requested, left side view of vehicle . . .

Left front . . .

Left rear . . .
lqqkatjon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: tires for stock 14 rims- I read sticky Reply with quote

Thanks.

those tires do look very acceptable. Even though I do like some of the other more aggressive, you can't beat that price, and that is a good compromise on off road vs. onroad look.

I think I will be going to walmart.
ente_kaefer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: tires for stock 14 rims- I read sticky Reply with quote

lqqkatjon wrote:
Thanks.

those tires do look very acceptable. Even though I do like some of the other more aggressive, you can't beat that price, and that is a good compromise on off road vs. onroad look.

Before heading off to Walmart, see if they will be able to mount the tires. I had to purchase a 12mmx1.5 balance adapter plate that would allow the rim to be bolted to it, and then Walmart was able to mount and balance the tires.
lqqkatjon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: tires for stock 14 rims- I read sticky Reply with quote

ente_kaefer wrote:
lqqkatjon wrote:
Thanks.

Before heading off to Walmart, see if they will be able to mount the tires. I had to purchase a 12mmx1.5 balance adapter plate that would allow the rim to be bolted to it, and then Walmart was able to mount and balance the tires.

Understood. I intend on doing my own mounting. I am actually a fan of balancing beads. Been working for me very well on other vehicles. These will be the smallest tires I will be putting balancing beads in, but I can't see why they would give me any issues. I have used them on 30" tires on 15" rims with no complaints.
Rev. Scott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: tires for stock 14 rims- I read sticky Reply with quote

I hate to be a wet blanket, but this conversation comes up from time to time. Usually with the "out of date" disclaimer regarding the sticky. The sticky would be up to date if it were used. Sorry. /rant.
lqqkatjon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: tires for stock 14 rims- I read sticky Reply with quote

Rev. Scott wrote:
I hate to be a wet blanket, but this conversation comes up from time to time. Usually with the "out of date" disclaimer regarding the sticky. The sticky would be up to date if it were used. Sorry. /rant.

I posted on the sticky about speed rating on one of the tires. Never got a reply. then I looked it over and seen the question asked by someone else in the sticky in July 2015, with no reply, and the next post was sept. 2015. another post in December not replied to at all.

What would be nice, and I do not know how to add this information on this thread to the sticky.

I have to admit, that it is not really obvious to me if there is a new post in the sticky's, unless I really pay attention.
Rev. Scott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: tires for stock 14 rims- I read sticky Reply with quote

Agreed. The stickies were much more useful and evolving when we all paid more attention to them. Cheers for trying. I like my Maxxis buckshots, but have been told they are no longer available (pics in my profile's gallery).
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: tires for stock 14 rims- I read sticky Reply with quote

I bought General Grabber AT2 for my Thing. Size 27x8.5x14

Only a minor rub on the right inner fender at full lock while reversing. I think they look very fitting on a Thing.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
apba12m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: tires for stock 14 rims- I read sticky Reply with quote

Dito on the Douglas from walmart the are fine to drive and fit in the boot.

Made in the us also...
OG67westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: tires for stock 14 rims- I read sticky Reply with quote

General Grabber A/T 2's...basically the BFG look, but much cheaper. Try tirerack.com...
'61 Panel dove blue"Rche"
'65 Bug rusty"Tina"
'83 Porsche 944
hylomatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: tires for stock 14 rims- I read sticky Reply with quote

Does anybody know if the General Grabber AT's that you're talking about will fit in the spare tire location? I have a set of 15 inch rims with regular Beetle tires at the moment but I've got my stock rims ready to go and I'm trying to pick the right aggressive look for the tire. Just like everybody else.

I'd hate to pay for one of those, have it mounted and then find out it doesn't fit as a spare. I've tried finding someone that has used ones or returned ones that I could have 1 mounted and attempted to fit but no luck so far.

If someone can say whether or not the general Grabbers fit as a spare that would be really great.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: tires for stock 14 rims- I read sticky Reply with quote

Ha ha, I have the Grabber tires, and have often wondered about that, as I currently have no spare tire!

But I haven't actually removed a tire and thrown it in the trunk to see.

I have a wheel I could probably use, but I think it is actually from a Bus so I don't know for sure. I honestly haven't thought about it when I've got time to do it!

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Mark Lewalski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: tires for stock 14 rims- I read sticky Reply with quote

Dave,

The Grabbers are what I'm looking at putting on soon.

Can you post a photo of your Thing with the tires please?

Let us know if you have any suspension mods too.

Much appreciated.
Mark
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: