Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cab Door disassembly/maintenance/adjustment/reassembly (lots pix
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:32 pm    Post subject: Cab Door disassembly/maintenance/adjustment/reassembly (lots pix Reply with quote

To link to this thread
Code:
[url=http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=650321&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=]Cab Door disassembly/maintenance/adjustment/reassembly (lots pix[/url]

steponmebbbboom wrote:

first order of business once the interior trim has been removed (trite details) is to remove the inner door latch handle. here i am releasing the actuating lever from the latch assembly. with one finger, pull back the retainer and with another finger, force the lever forward until the elbow separates from the latch, then move the entire lever downward to clear it.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

now release the guide block from the inner panel. a round locating tab can be disengaged from its hole by prying with a thin screwdriver, then the entire block and lever slides upward. then remove two bolts retaining the handle itself and guide the lever and handle out of the door.

now remove the rear window channel extension. remove one bolt, then pull the extension down to release the retaining clip at the top.

here i am unbolting the window from the regulator trolley and lifting it upward to clear it. then slide it all the way downward.

now it is time to remove the vent wing. first, remove the lower bolt.

then, begin prying away the felt channel. there are five retainer clips holding it in place. pry outward until you locate these clips, and in those areas, squeeze the channel together with pliers to facilitate removal from the clips. the clips are spring steel and are delicate, and the tongue holding them to the door frame will break if you attempt to pry them out with the channel. release the clips from the channel first, then remove the clips by forcing them forward to release the tongue. be gentle.

with the felt channel removed, the upper vent wing retaining screw is exposed. early models used a machine screw, 71-onwards used a self tapping screw. remove the screw, and note: if you take a slender screwdriver and bend this tab downward at a 30* angle you have less chance of hitting the delicate aluminum outer scraper and damaging it.

the wing is now ready to tip out of the door frame. note the bent upper tab. be gentle, and watch the outer scraper at the bottom, this is the time when it is most vulnerable to damage.

tipping the wing out. i have moved the top inward of the door frame, and my right hand is holding the glass so that it doesnt drop suddenly. be very mindful of the lower retaining tab that it doesnt get caught on either the outer scraper or the bracing in the door itself. be patient wrangling the vent wing out at this point, it is a slow process.

a better view of the lower retaining tab. it has already damaged the outer scraper. luckily this one is not going to be reused. replacement scrapers are pricy, but essential in minimising intrusion of water and debris into the door.

time to remove the inner scraper. these seldom wear out or crack being inside the vehicle, aftermarket replacements are a waste of money. reuse the old ones. note the angle of the clip heads, and the position of the screwdriver blade i am using to remove them. this is the optimal spot to pry on them. the clips are actually a single piece of wire and prying in the middle of the clip head will tear the rubber as it is unsupported here. prying on the other side will force the clip head against the outer panel.

removing the door glass.

now finally the window regulator can be safely removed. unbolt it and begin threading it through the frame in a counterclockwise direction (RH door shown). opposite direction for LH door.

...note the position of the winder...

...and pull the entire window regulator out of the door.

now remove the outer door handle. two 5mm allen capscrews.

...and now unscrew the latch.

note the latch itself has to be in the closed position to fit through the latch opening in the door.

do not be afraid to use force, here. i am pulling the inner panel towards me while forcefully pulling down the latch assembly to clear the reinforcing ribs and flares and so on.

a comparison of early latch on the right with late on the left ('74-79). note the longer locking bellcrank and a few other differences. though both will physically interchange, a late latch cannot be made to work properly inside an early door and vice versa. the early inner handle uses an additional lever to reposition the actuating rod where neither inner nor outer handle will open the door. the late inner handle is bolted to the inner frame in a different position, the actuating rod is a different length, and the late latch depends on a separate lock shaft and knob to lock and unlock the latch from the inside.

early is better. the early outer handle, though it carries the same part number as the late design, can be disassembled for cleaning, lubrication and replacement of component parts whereas the late handle parts are staked in place.

clean the window thoroughly at this point. you wont get as good a chance again. i use ZEP 40 glass cleaner, it is the best i have ever used. leaves no streaks whatsoever.

tipping in the new window scraper. be VERY gentle with it, aluminum bends and stretches easily and you can never regain the shape once it is bent. start with the scraper in this position.

note the position of the wild ends, this is important.

i start by CAREFULLY bending the top edge into the frame, and if i feel it about to buckle i stop and reposition the lower corner in the door to relieve some of the stress,

and then i guide that lower corner into its final position...

... then i can move the lower edge of the scraper into place and fold...

...the retaining tab over. i use a hooked o-ring pick for this task, to ensure it is completely bent in.

installing new channel into the vent wing. use new vent wing channel, it isnt expensive, less than $20 for both sides. secure it with weatherstrip adhesive, preferably the black version. trim off any wild ends. i used WCM channel here.

guiding the clip heads into their holes. my hand is snaked in between the inner and outer door panels to manipulate the clips with my finger.

it may be an OEM part, but it is still repro, and as such you are bound to find mistakes. in this case the felt channel retaining clip notch is out of position by almost four inches. i had to modify the channel to align with the hole, then i could begin installing the retaining clips.

this shot shows the correct position of all five channel retainer clips.

the vent wing can now be installed. again, be very gentle. guide it in place, then while pushing the upright against the front of the door, tighten the upper screw and the lower bolt.

the regulator can now be installed. on early doors, ensure the regulator channel sits between the inner flange and the inner door panel, here it is shown just shy of its final position.

the relay cable sheath being reinstalled.

a difficult operation: the end of the guide channel is flared at the end so as not to catch the relay cable spiral, so the end of the sheath must be tilted toward the flares when sliding it back on.

forming the felt channel to the window before installation. too tight a bend will cause the channel to rack. the vertical portion of the channel can hang wild about three inches without problems.

the window is then installed.

installing the latch assembly.

the latch is still in the closed position.

install the outer handle with gaskets and check operation.

now you can install the rear window channel extension. push upwards to engage the spring clip and bolt it in at the bottom.

note the tab with a single round hole in it. this tab was pulled outward when the inner scraper was removed, and the channel extension was striking it and could not engage the locating hole. it can be easily pushed back with your thumb until the extension can be guided into place.

now the felt channel can be installed. use a rubber mallet to engage the channel with the retaining clips.

with everything in place and operating smoothly the door is ready for alignment and trim-out.

Link

Link

Last edited by Tcash on Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:29 am; edited 2 times in total
pantone149
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Cab Door disassembly/maintenance/adjustment/reassembly (lots pix Reply with quote

I'm one of those people that work well off of checklists, so here ya go. This worked well for me this weekend. Used WCM parts and the fit was darn good. The only minor glitch was that I had to trim some shiny metal away on the outside scraper so that the clip could attach. Trivial issue however.

It's wise to read and follow the photos already posted in this thread.

Parts list
Vent window
Vent window felt channel
Outside scraper with clips and Omega clips
Inside scraper and Omega clips or adhesive
Regulator/Winder
Main window felt channel
Main window glass
Window channel extension
Bolts and screws and washers
Adhesive

Process. Use the photos in the thread for reference.
1) Attach felt channel to vent window. Use adhesive. Set this window aside for later.
2) Install the main window channel extensions. These metal channels run vertically from the lowest point of the window opening and bolt in place near the door striker. There should be a 10mm bolt holding it in place.
3) Pre-Install outside scraper (polished trim and rubber). Refer to the photos for exact procedure. There is a chance you may have to do some modifications to the metal so that the metal clips will attach to the holes in the door frame.
4) Attach outside scraper. Use the metal tabs to hold the polished trim in place and the “omega clips” to attach the rubber. If necessary, add some adhesive to the rubber to hold it to the door.
5) Install regulator. Crank the lifter all the way down.
6) Optional, but not a bad idea: Take the main glass felt channel and form the channel to the glass. Use the curvature of the glass corners. This may be a difficult task as you may not know the exact point where the channel needs to bend.
7) Insert the main glass window but do not attach to the lifter. Let it sit as low as possible in the door. This window may be installed from the top because there’s little in the way right now. You want the window in the door, but out of the way for now.
8) Install vent window. Bolt and screw in place.
9) Install inner scraper with “omega clips” and/or adhesive
10) Attach window to lifter. Crank the window down.
11) Install felt channel around main window. Use a rubber mallet to tap into place. No adhesive needed.
12) Test vent window operation and sealing.
13) Test main window operation and sealing.
Sloride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Cab Door disassembly/maintenance/adjustment/reassembly (lots pix Reply with quote

I followed the step by step and am just abou done the driver's door. What's the story on this front edge. It looks like ass.

Link to the engine swap:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=565304&highlight=

1964 Ruby Red Beetle

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=705757&highlight=ruby+red
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Cab Door disassembly/maintenance/adjustment/reassembly (lots pix Reply with quote

One missing bit from steponbbboom's tutorial is how to remove the ouside window trim and scraper.

I am at that point on a '74 bus, and am held up. The aluminum trim is in good shape, and I am keen to reuse it, but I can't figure out how the bottom edge is held in place in the door frame. It does not simply slip out, that's for sure.

The outer scraper is riveted to the trim piece, sandwiched between a metal strip and the trim, so these must come out as a unit. And the rest of the trim is ready to slip out. But the bottom edge seems to be attached to the door frame somehow.

Any insights?
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Cab Door disassembly/maintenance/adjustment/reassembly (lots pix Reply with quote

There are small V shaped clips sticking out of it that clip into holes in the outer door skin lip, start at the front end and gently push the visible lip inwards so it leans into the window channel, not too much, just enough to get a putty knife down between the trim and the outer edge on the door. Sometimes just pushing sideways on the clips with the knife is enough to release it, extremely rusty cases may require a twisted screwdriver along side to pop them free.
The tricky part of the whole deal is to not bend the trim too much or kink anything, you'll likely have to do a little body hammer work on the trim where the clips were attached afterwards, the holes may get stretched out.
Edit: I just had a flashback from this job, reaching up from inside the door and squeezing the clips with long needlenose pliers gets them out with much less trim mangleage.
Clips barely visible here:

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Cab Door disassembly/maintenance/adjustment/reassembly (lots pix Reply with quote

Gotcha.

I could not get a needlenose up in there easily, and when I did, I could not do much on the clips. Turns out they are all rusted to hell, anyway.

I also tried getting a smoothed-end screwdriver up there, but they way the angles are, I can't get it into the correct place.

My solution was to work from the top side, carefully holding back the aluminum trim, and work the thin screwdriver along below the trim. This resulted to some stretching and damage around the parts of the Al trim that hold the clips, but I think that can be readily straightened and it is not visible anyway. I also doubtless would have scratched up the paint on the door, if there were any -- it was mostly rust. As for the clips themselves, they stayed behind, attached to the door. I attempted to remove the clips, but they just fell apart. I'd like to source replacements, if they are available...

In the end, it all came out fine for my purposes, which was to salvage good parts from a damaged door.

One thing I learned about wing window removal is that it is not coming out if the main window glass does not move back far enough, and that is not happening unless the vertical guide along the inside back of the door is removed. This was mentioned in the steps above, but for some reason I neglected to remove it, and got stuck. After removing the guide piece, the rest went smoothly.

EDIT: I think I had neglected to remove it because I had done this only on later doors, which I believe do not have that vertical guide channel. Not sure when the part was omitted or changed, but I am guessing somewhere around 1975/76.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD

Last edited by jtauxe on Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:13 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Cab Door disassembly/maintenance/adjustment/reassembly (lots pix Reply with quote

Restore, Rebuild, Refurbish Front Door
skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
you forgot to mention the magic titty you need to bend over to keep the scraper in place

busdaddy wrote:
Ahhhh...magic titties..................... Very Happy

Great write up, don't forget that little piece of plastic you find leftover when the job is done Wink

Ausdingo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Cab Door disassembly/maintenance/adjustment/reassembly (lots pix Reply with quote

Great info. Just a question regarding the inner window scraper. Did not save old ones (wish I had seen this first), and new ones really hard to push in. Can you glue these if need be?

Thank you
SatireChuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Cab Door disassembly/maintenance/adjustment/reassembly (lots pix Reply with quote

This entire thread is amazing, very very helpful. Thank you all for sharing the photos and tips. I know I'll be using this over the coming days!

--Brother Chuck

———

Brother Chuck’s VW’s:

1968 VW Beetle
1971 VW Bus (Currently under restoration)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
davebuckholts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Cab Door disassembly/maintenance/adjustment/reassembly (lots pix Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
you forgot to mention the magic titty you need to bend over to keep the scraper in place

busdaddy wrote:
Ahhhh...magic titties..................... Very Happy

Great write up, don't forget that little piece of plastic you find leftover when the job is done Wink

Is there anywhere that shows the installation of this piece?
I've got everything done up to installing the vent windows and am curious as to how this plastic piece is installed
Thanks!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Cab Door disassembly/maintenance/adjustment/reassembly (lots pix Reply with quote

It's shoved in afterwards, push out on the vent window and cram it down into the gap.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
davebuckholts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Cab Door disassembly/maintenance/adjustment/reassembly (lots pix Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
It's shoved in afterwards, push out on the vent window and cram it down into the gap.

That's quite technical instructions! Laughing
Mark Hjelm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Cab Door disassembly/maintenance/adjustment/reassembly (lots pix Reply with quote

Where in so Cal can I have this done? I just don’t have the patience for this..
Hangout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Cab Door disassembly/maintenance/adjustment/reassembly (lots pix Reply with quote

My 1975 van dose not have the rear window rail it has a pultruding Chanel near the top door latch why is this?

Eugene 1975 Westfaila same with my friends.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Classifieds Feedback
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Cab Door disassembly/maintenance/adjustment/reassembly (lots pix Reply with quote

Hangout wrote:
My 1975 van dose not have the rear window rail it has a pultruding Chanel near the top door latch why is this?

Can you post a pic? I’m not sure what you mean.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Cab Door disassembly/maintenance/adjustment/reassembly (lots pix Reply with quote

Hangout wrote:

Welcome!
The removable rear track section below the door latch was deleted on later models, I can only assume VW thought it could work without it (seems to work fine). Many other parts were deleted as years went by, cost cutting and production speed is likely to blame. I'm not sure of the exact year, but things started to get cheap around 1973.

Слава Україні!
chrisoh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Cab Door disassembly/maintenance/adjustment/reassembly (lots pix Reply with quote

I used this post recently to rebuild my bus doors. It was very helpful, but I wanted to add my two cents, mostly regarding the best order to do things in...

—Roll down window.
—Remove upper/rear felt, LEAVING THE CLIPS IN. If you just yank the felt out with the clips, you will likely break the clips, then you will be sad while you locate and order new clips. Carefully poke around with a standard screwdriver or some type of pry tool until you find the clips, then use the pry tool to release the felt channel from the clips.
—Roll window up a bit and remove it from the regulator, then slide it off the regulator and down out of the way.
—Remove lower rear window channel, if your bus has one. Later busses do not.
—Remove inner door latch/handle.
—Remove inner scraper.
—Remove all 6 10mm bolts holding the regulator in.
—Remove vent window.
—Remove window.
—Remove regulator.
—Remove outer door handle.
—Remove latch assembly.
—Remove outer scraper.

In general, assembly is done in reverse order.

One other tip... To rebuild the vent window correctly, you will need a replacement rivet to re-attach the vent window to the frame after installing the new vent window seal. These are not included in the WCM or Wolfsburg West window rubber set. I found this out in process, and was sad when I had to wait to mail order those two tiny little parts.

Good luck! It’s a bitch, but worth it if your bus has the original 50-year-old rubber parts like mine did.
Cuccuzze
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Cab Door disassembly/maintenance/adjustment/reassembly (lots pix Reply with quote

I wish I found this yesterday! great post. Question, what did you use to install in the rivet and how?

chrisoh wrote:

One other tip... To rebuild the vent window correctly, you will need a replacement rivet to re-attach the vent window to the frame after installing the new vent window seal. These are not included in the WCM or Wolfsburg West window rubber set. I found this out in process, and was sad when I had to wait to mail order those two tiny little parts.

Good luck! It’s a bitch, but worth it if your bus has the original 50-year-old rubber parts like mine did.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Cab Door disassembly/maintenance/adjustment/reassembly (lots pix Reply with quote

Cuccuzze wrote:
Question, what did you use to install in the rivet and how?

There's many ways to skin a cat, sift through these to find one that works for you: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc..._chars=200

Слава Україні!
Cuccuzze
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Cab Door disassembly/maintenance/adjustment/reassembly (lots pix Reply with quote

Ball bearing!! Genius!!! Thank you!!

busdaddy wrote:
Cuccuzze wrote:
Question, what did you use to install in the rivet and how?

There's many ways to skin a cat, sift through these to find one that works for you: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc..._chars=200
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: