Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ein Wagen für alle, die durchkommen müssen . . .
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ente_kaefer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:51 am    Post subject: Ein Wagen für alle, die durchkommen müssen . . . Reply with quote

Check out this 1970 Typ 181 with over 270,00 Kilometers on it, it is still in use and owned by the Technisches Hilfswerk . . .

https://www.volkswagen-classic.de/magazin/report/volkswagen-typ-181-thw

Scroll down to the item marked 'Fotogalerie' and click on it to see pictures of the vehicle.

Summary of the THW can be found at . . . https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technisches_Hilfswerk

Their logo looks similar to the KdF logo, gives me an idea to get the decal made in white to place on my car . . .
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Ein Wagen für alle, die durchkommen müssen . . . Reply with quote

For what it's worth, here is a translation of the article from above (more or less)

A car for those who need to get away

For 45 years, tirelessly THW: a Volkswagen Type 181

"That's our baby. That we no longer give her." As Olaf Daratha, deputy head of the Agency for Technical Relief (THW) Gifhorn, this sentence says swing a lot of heart and passion with it. They are considered the most advanced in years service vehicle in its fleet mobile use, a Volkswagen Type 181 from 1970. Except for the painting in the THW typical blue vehicle is largely in its original state.

For 45 years the faithful "bucket" in use for the THW. This is a pre-production with double sheet thickness. And the state impressed today: Rust in vain, and the already 20 year old top presents itself in good condition. Is no wonder - after all, the car every night parked in the dry THW vehicle hall. Originally purchased as a transport and service vehicle, the Type 181 reeled during his long tenure from approximately 270,000 kilometers. All the more surprising is the fact that the tail is still very much the first motor. A quick turn of the ignition key and the 44-horsepower Boxer schnattert going. Test drive!

The exit of the THW-Oldie (radio call "Heros Gifhorn") is a small adventure. It is loud and airy because of the wind finds its way through the drafty hood. Pleasantly cool, it is also because a heater in vain - the standard heater was developed ten years ago because of the high maintenance costs. So be it.

45 years of service 270,000 Kilometers
Volkswagen Type 181 THW Gifhorn in use

It remains in any case no time to freeze, because the work on the huge steering wheel and the coordination of the accelerator, clutch and brake demanded enough. Especially the latter is used to: Four drum brakes have pretty to do with at least 1300 kg heavy THW bucket. Brake booster? None, as well as seat belts - which had not yet mandatory, but would be "surcharge on every Volkswagen workshop available" have been the original brochure promises. Ever is as good as everything is in the long history of the air-cooled emergency vehicle. Each service is detected, the first even with reference to the then usual "VW diagnostic vouchers" that dazugab it when buying. An interesting anecdote provides a letter from Volkswagen AG, in which the customer adviser THW expressly advises against it, to order an optional limited-slip differential for the rear axle, as that "quite a lot of money all costs, and not necessarily bring the additional terrain help that you promise to them ". Next it is argued that even the Bundeswehr, for the type was 181 originally developed dispose over a single such-equipped model in its fleet. "So we took the advice to heart and thankfully refrained" says Olaf Daratha, the full-time iT staff in the Volkswagen factory in Wolfsburg, and adds with a grin added: ". Nowadays it would be rather unusual to talk to the customer a costly additional equipment" Repent not, the THW troupe that decision anyway. And up to 50 percent slopes manages the 181 even without limited slip differential. For 8,500 DM - donated by four companies from the county - the original in the original color "Steppe Beige" painted bucket was then delivered. His service he performs to this day without a murmur. And where are you in the future long, Heros Gifhorn? "We use it continued sporadically for small errands and of course show purposes such as weddings, because our bucket is a crowd-pleaser" Daratha says, not without pride, and adds: ". As I said, our baby is here"
ente_kaefer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: Ein Wagen für alle, die durchkommen müssen . . . Reply with quote

I am really liking the driving lights on the front of the vehicle, note the two horns installed behind the turn directionals . . .
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I have thought about converting the rear tail lights on my vehicle, still may, I need to install the left rear red fog light on my vehicle, and pick up a pair of the rear bumper back up lights . . .
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
SilverThing Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Ein Wagen für alle, die durchkommen müssen . . . Reply with quote

Such a cool story and a great example. I like that the factory sales rep actually recommended not getting the limited slip option. The letter that says that is in the gallery and is pretty cool (if you can read German). I've referenced the article a couple of times on the forums here, but I don't think anyone took notice. I'm glad someone else think its cool.
rrankin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Ein Wagen für alle, die durchkommen müssen . . . Reply with quote

That's really cool!
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: