Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Parts used on early 1972 vs late 1972 T2 Bay window Bus.
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject: Parts used on early 1972 vs late 1972 T2 Bay window Bus. Reply with quote

I've never got a difinitive answer on roughly what months are considered early and late. Is there a common month 72s are considered late? I see every now and again parts referred to as late 72 or early 72.

Edit: This orginaly got posted in the Rarest of the rare thread accidentally. Looks like Tcash came to the rescue and moved all the comments to its own thread. Thank you.

If anyone has info regarding parts used in an early 72 vs late 72 please share.
This is not necessarily to take the place of the 1972 one year only thread.
Thanks folks.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked

Last edited by Xevin on Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
I've never got a difinitive answer on roughly what months are considered early and late. Is there a common month 72s are considered late?

Depends on who you ask. Vanagon guys think we're all early; split guys think we're all late. A '71 owner might call it late, just like a '73 owner calls it early.

I call it a Volkswagen and it should be enjoyed as such. Cool
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Xevin wrote:
I've never got a difinitive answer on roughly what months are considered early and late. Is there a common month 72s are considered late?

Depends on who you ask. Vanagon guys think we're all early; split guys think we're all late. A '71 owner might call it late, just like a '73 owner calls it early.

Robbie

Sorry Robbie, my question would have made more sense if I asked it in the in Project Bays on the Way thread I intended to ask it in. I hit the wrong thread some how. Don't want to get this one off the rails. It comes up every now again about parts used in early 72 and late 72. This is the correct thread.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3...21673f2eee

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:

Last edited by Xevin on Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:

My understanding has always been that the type 1 engine powered bays (in the USA) were early and the type 4 engine powered were late.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Xevin wrote:

My understanding has always been that the type 1 engine powered bays (in the USA) were early and the type 4 engine powered were late.

This is how I think of it too - in general. Its a late bus as it has a T4. As far as early and late 72 - I didnt know there were differences Think

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:

I tend to look at the front blinkers and vent shape.
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" Reply with quote

GeorgeL wrote:
Xevin wrote:

I tend to look at the front blinkers and vent shape.

Same, to me if it has low front turn signals and the small tail lights it's an "early bay" and if the turn signals are high and or it has large tail lights, it's a "late bay".

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
asiab3 wrote:
Xevin wrote:

Robbie

Sorry Robbie, my question would have made more sense if I asked it in the in Project Bays on the Way thread I intended to ask it in. I hit the wrong thread some how. Don't want to get this one off the rails. It comes up every now again about parts used in early 72 and late 72. This is the correct thread.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3...21673f2eee

Hold on boys. I screwed up my question in this thread. So I'm reposting my screw up again. It wasn't about early bay vs late bay. I get that. 1968-1971 type one is early bay. 1972 cross over half breed (type 4, low light, Campmobile, one year back bumper, and etc. I was only referring to early 72 vs late 72 for a reference to parts. Lots of 72 only threads but 72 year seems to have used some things from both eras. It can be confusing for hunting parts. But thanks to all responding. It's really nice of you trying to help. I pretty much only use an iPhone for this forum and my thumb gets a little crazy at times. Wink

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:

Hold on boys. I screwed up my question in this thread. So I'm reposting my screw up again. It wasn't about early bay vs late bay. I get that. 1968-1971 type one is early bay. 1972 cross over half breed (type 4, low light, Campmobile, one year back bumper, and etc. I was only referring to early 72 vs late 72 for a reference to parts. Lots of 72 only threads but 72 year seems to have used some things from both eras. It can be confusing for hunting parts. But thanks to all responding. It's really nice of you trying to help. I pretty much only use an iPhone for this forum and my thumb gets a little crazy at times. Wink

I don't know for a fact about '72 parts, but I KNOW in many of the 68-69 crossover parts, (when VW was still ironing out the kinks from the Split/Bay transition,) many '68 parts were used "until they ran out." There was no chassis cutoff number for certain parts. Some made it halfway through '68, some made it halfway through '69. With the emissions laws of 1970 and the oil prices creeping up during the run up to the embargo, VW was probably pinching pennies just as they always seem to do through a product run and likely did something similar for the significant changes in '72.

My three cents,
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nezz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" Reply with quote

a difference in the '72 model is the engine hatch

August '71 to December '71

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

January '72 to July '72

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" Reply with quote

Whats all different? Just the brow being longer?

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" Reply with quote

Perhaps this discussion could be moved to another thread about '72 details and we can keep this thread for rarest of the rare stuff.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Whats all different? Just the brow being longer?

Yes

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
Perhaps this discussion could be moved to another thread about '72 details and we can keep this thread for rarest of the rare stuff.

Agreed - is there a definitive 72 thread going and if not - are there so many nuances to fill more than a page?

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" Reply with quote

Yes the 72 only thread is one. 8 pages or more

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: early or late T2 Bay window Bus T2 Reply with quote

I vote we make it official, early bays are 68-71, late bays are 73-79

'72 will just be '72. Or "the redheaded step child that kinda looks like the milkman"

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: early or late T2 Bay window Bus T2 Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
I vote we make it official, early bays are 68-71, late bays are 73-79

'72 will just be '72. Or "the redheaded step child that kinda looks like the milkman"

I like it.. Now, we just need to break up the bay window forum into 1968-1971 and 72-79, FAT CHICK bays.. LMAO.. Laughing

I know, I know.. several folks have suggested this in the past and went down in flames.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Parts used on early 1972 vs late 1972 T2 Bay window Bus. Reply with quote

Thanks for moving the thread, Tcash!

As a new owner of a fairly pristine 1972 Sportsmobile, I am now also interested in how the transition year progressed. I have little to offer in terms of knowledge about early '72 vs late '72, but can surely offer up my bus as an example.

So, if we want to look into specific things like the shape of the engine hatch and other details, I can provide one data point for VIN 2322052431 built in 10/71

I guess that makes this one fairly early. For the record, it has the narrower engine compartment bulge. Later they got wider, as I can see on my '73.

Man, that is a detail I had NEVER noticed before in all my buses.

AMA about any other details on this bus.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Parts used on early 1972 vs late 1972 T2 Bay window Bus. Reply with quote

From the sandblast under the tail lights I wonder it it has full splash pans on the the bumper corners?, or just end brackets?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: