Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Karmann Ghia floor pan and chassis measured drawing (Metric)
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:31 pm    Post subject: Karmann Ghia floor pan and chassis measured drawing (Metric) Reply with quote

After scouring the web for a suitable image to use as a base to document my pan dimensions ahead of bi-lateral pan replacement, I realized that none existed or at least could not be found by me. Since I still needed something to document dimensions I decided to create my own drawing. This is the latest iteration of the drawing I originally posted in my build thread. I figured I would give this effort its own thread in the hope that it will be easier to find when searched for and as a platform to hold future contributions. This drawing is based on my 1970 convertible and is roughly 1/10 scale. The first JPG image contains measurements and the second is a copy without the measurements that can be filled in with your data.

I have posted the JPGs here to share the drawing in the hope it benefits someone else, to elicit suggestions on how to improve the drawing, and to add any wish-list items fellow Samba members may have. Once the document is finalized a fully scalable copy in PDF format will be added to the documents section. (provided the site admin agrees)

If anyone has measurements of a different year pan please PM me. I will gladly edit the drawing and upload it to The Samba with the new data.

Disclaimer:
These measurements are based on a 1970 convertible with original pans. The original drawing that this image is based on was for a Beetle pan and the floors are based on a picture of a reproduction driver side pan half.

EDIT: The image was edited on 5-13-2016 to reflect changes based on posted suggestions/requests further down the thread.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted

Last edited by Evil_Fiz on Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JaredJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmann Ghia floor pan and chassis measured drawing (Metric) Reply with quote

These are awesome, how can i download them?
carl4x4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmann Ghia floor pan and chassis measured drawing (Metric) Reply with quote

These are really good, well done on the effort that must have gone into them! - surely worthy of a sticky for the Moderators?

(to download from your browser just click on the image to open in a separate window, then right click "save as")
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmann Ghia floor pan and chassis measured drawing (Metric) Reply with quote

JaredJ wrote:
...how can i download them?

If you are satisfied with an 8.5 x 11 drawing the above method will work just fine as that is the original size of the drawing. If you want something that can be enlarged up to actual size (1:1 scale) without loss of detail PM me (for now) with you email and I can send you either an Adobe Illustrator native .ai file or a PDF that can be edited with any PDF editing program or within Adobe Illustrator proper.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:37 am    Post subject: Re: Karmann Ghia floor pan and chassis measured drawing (Metric) Reply with quote

carl4x4 wrote:
These are really good, well done on the effort that must have gone into them! - surely worthy of a sticky for the Moderators?

(to download from your browser just click on the image to open in a separate window, then right click "save as")

A link to this thread is in the "Karmann Ghia – Essential Guides for Beginners & Experts" Sticky.
When Emil is happy he has the final version (now I suspect) I'm sure he'll send a .pdf to Everett so he can add it to the Ghia Archive. Smile
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
noexit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Karmann Ghia floor pan and chassis measured drawing (Metric) Reply with quote

Very nice!

My only concern is that you have tunnel to pan rail inner face, but with reproduction pans, I don't know if I can trust that dimension as much as I can trust the center line of the mounting hole, which you have for the first three holes. Do you have this measurement?
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmann Ghia floor pan and chassis measured drawing (Metric) Reply with quote

noexit wrote:

...My only concern is that you have tunnel to pan rail inner face, but with reproduction pans, I don't know if I can trust that dimension as much as I can trust the center line of the mounting hole, which you have for the first three holes. Do you have this measurement?

Excellent point. I have added the requested measurements along with the dimensions of the rail screw holes. See the updated image in post #1

sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmann Ghia floor pan and chassis measured drawing (Metric) Reply with quote

Do we have the threaded hole for the seat belt anchor on the tunnel shown?
N
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Karmann Ghia floor pan and chassis measured drawing (Metric) Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
N

We do not but it can be added. I did not measure this location since it is fixed on the tunnel and does not contribute to pan replacement.

The measurements are as follows:

Napoleon Hat to tunnel seat belt anchor screw hole center line = 1185 mm
Lower tunnel lip (Original pan still spot welded in place) to tunnel seat belt anchor screw hole center line = 115 mm

Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmann Ghia floor pan and chassis measured drawing (Metric) Reply with quote

See the edited drawing added to post #1 above. I am looking for a volunteer to proof read and do a sanity check on the drawing before I submit it for inclusion in the documents section.

noexit wrote:
Very nice!

My only concern is that you have tunnel to pan rail inner face, but with reproduction pans, I don't know if I can trust that dimension as much as I can trust the center line of the mounting hole, which you have for the first three holes. Do you have this measurement?

I have added the dimensions form outer rail screw holes four (starting from the front) to the tunnel inner face where it meets the pan. Starting from the front, screw holes four - ten are in s a straight line. Accurate measurements were not possible for holes five - nine. A chalk-line from the center lines of holes ten to four should suffice to establish the center line for holes nine - five.

sputnick60 wrote:
N

I have added this dimension as best I could to the drawing. The mark is small but the description text will clearly establish what and where it is.

Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: Karmann Ghia floor pan and chassis measured drawing (Metric) Reply with quote

Is the hole on the driver side that is 45mm back and 70mm in from the tunnel for the brake pedal stop plate?

Mine doesn't have this which explains why my pedals sit at a weird angle. Mine is RHD - does anyone know if the stop plate for a RHD is the same as a LHD or different?
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Karmann Ghia floor pan and chassis measured drawing (Metric) Reply with quote

If yours has the original pan, there should be a recess for the endstop.

You can see where I've added the hole for my RHD conversion.
Nicholas
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: Karmann Ghia floor pan and chassis measured drawing (Metric) Reply with quote

Mellow Yellow 74 wrote:
Is the hole on the driver side that is 45mm back and 70mm in from the tunnel for the brake pedal stop plate?

I believe it IS the brake pedal stop. Here is a picture of my old floor pan (LHD/Driver Side.) At the top-center of the picture you can see the hole/location you are asking about. The threaded plate goes spot welded on the underside between the two vertical bumps (IIRC.) I will look at it again this afternoon (US-EST) and post an edit if i am mistaken. I will also post pictures of the plate as a reference.

Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmann Ghia floor pan and chassis measured drawing (Metric) Reply with quote

It looks like the position of the RHD stop plate is not simply a mirror image of the LHD because the pedals are not reversed. Based on my Googling, the hole on the RHD it is only 50mm to the right of the tunnel as opposed to 70mm to the left of the tunnel on the LHD.

I am installing new pans on my 62 but am retaining the angle brace under the pedals. My brace is different to your photo Nicholas - it goes under the pan and is on a shallower angle and only has two mounting holes.
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmann Ghia floor pan and chassis measured drawing (Metric) Reply with quote

Here are the pictures I promised of the brake pedal stop bolt, nut retaining plate. It was spot welded to the underside of the pan. I hope this helps.

Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmann Ghia floor pan and chassis measured drawing (Metric) Reply with quote

Thanks Fiz - I found the pedal diagram in Bentley and original RHD cars have a different pedal assembly which does not need a hole in the pan for the pedal stop - the pedal stop is part of the pedal assembly that bolts to the pedal mounting holes (my stop plate is worn which explains why the pedals were sitting wrong).
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:30 am    Post subject: Re: Karmann Ghia floor pan and chassis measured drawing (Metric) Reply with quote

I am currently replacing my floor pans and this drawing has been a massive help so big thanks Fiz. A couple of observations based on my 62 RHD coupe for others that may be interested:

- early RHD pedals are different to late RHD as per Nicholas's photo and are not just a mirror image of LHD pedals as noted earlier so you need to trial fit them to set out the accelerator mount position, but you do t need to weld in a pedal stop

- early seat rails have a different outer rail and different spacing but the inner seat rail dimensions are similar

- after market pans are poor quality and have poor dimensions so you have to fiddle around a lot to make them fit properly
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: Karmann Ghia floor pan and chassis measured drawing (Metric) Reply with quote

Mellow Yellow 74 wrote:
...A couple of observations based on my 62 RHD coupe for others that may be interested:

Once you have it all figured out, PM me the dimensions for your pan/changes and I can add a new page to the drawing with RHD information.

ratsnotmice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Karmann Ghia floor pan and chassis measured drawing (Metric) Reply with quote

Evil_Fiz wrote:
After scouring the web for a suitable image to use as a base to document my pan dimensions ahead of bi-lateral pan replacement, I realized that none existed or at least could not be found by me. Since I still needed something to document dimensions I decided to create my own drawing. This is the latest iteration of the drawing I originally posted in my build thread. I figured I would give this effort its own thread in the hope that it will be easier to find when searched for and as a platform to hold future contributions. This drawing is based on my 1970 convertible and is roughly 1/10 scale. The first JPG image contains measurements and the second is a copy without the measurements that can be filled in with your data.

I have posted the JPGs here to share the drawing in the hope it benefits someone else, to elicit suggestions on how to improve the drawing, and to add any wish-list items fellow Samba members may have. Once the document is finalized a fully scalable copy in PDF format will be added to the documents section. (provided the site admin agrees)

If anyone has measurements of a different year pan please PM me. I will gladly edit the drawing and upload it to The Samba with the new data.

Disclaimer:
These measurements are based on a 1970 convertible with original pans. The original drawing that this image is based on was for a Beetle pan and the floors are based on a picture of a reproduction driver side pan half.

EDIT: The image was edited on 5-13-2016 to reflect changes based on posted suggestions/requests further down the thread.

I've searched and searched, is there an inch version of this drawing?
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmann Ghia floor pan and chassis measured drawing (Metric) Reply with quote

1 (one) millimeter (mm) = 0.0393700787 inches

Simple math

40 mm =

40 x 0.0393700787 = 1.574803148" = 1 37/64 " ...... almost.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: