Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

European style Trekker tail lights/reverse light conversion
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hansen_Photo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:31 am    Post subject: European style Trekker tail lights/reverse light conversion Reply with quote

I'm doing some body work on my 73 Thing, and want to convert it from the "elephant foot" taillights, to the european style Trekker taillights/reverse lights. Does anyone have a source in the USA to get these taillights and a reverse light?

I've seen some Trekkers with a solid red tail light, and some that are red/amber. Any useful info will be appreciated, thanks!
wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: European style Trekker tail lights/reverse light conversion Reply with quote

There are a couple of active posts under the Thing/181 parts section of The Samba classifieds that are tail light conversion kits.
waxhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: European style Trekker tail lights/reverse light conversion Reply with quote

There are a couple of existing discussions about this, try searching.

I haven't been able to find a supplier of the original euro tail lights here in the U.S. They appear in the classifieds now and again but are pricey (original Hella units).
Hansen_Photo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: European style Trekker tail lights/reverse light conversion Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I'll do some digging and look for older posts regarding the taillight conversions, thanks!
el_safari
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: European style Trekker tail lights/reverse light conversion Reply with quote

Hi
We are all searching for the uncommon part where we live...
I would like to find a set of metal bumper overriders...or exchange with euro tail lights orange and red! Cool
guppysoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: European style Trekker tail lights/reverse light conversion Reply with quote

The closest match to my 1973 Mexican Safari where from 60s vw combis. They match the original Hellas pretty well. https://www.vwheritage.com/shop/trekker/electrical/lighting-tail-lights-brake-light-senders/

Like these? http://www.jbugs.com/product/211945237K.html
Hansen_Photo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: European style Trekker tail lights/reverse light conversion Reply with quote

Thanks Guppysoup, that's very helpful and I might go that route (especially since I live in San Diego and we have J-Bugs here).

Ken
Dan Scully
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: European style Trekker tail lights/reverse light conversion Reply with quote

Hansen_Photo wrote:
I'm doing some body work on my 73 Thing, and want to convert it from the "elephant foot" taillights, to the european style Trekker taillights/reverse lights. Does anyone have a source in the USA to get these taillights and a reverse light?

I've seen some Trekkers with a solid red tail light, and some that are red/amber. Any useful info will be appreciated, thanks!

I have a set of org vw amber ,red set . Going a different route on my 73 and not using these. If you are interested shoot me a PM or @ [email protected] and I ,ll get you some pics if interested . Thanks
77kafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: European style Trekker tail lights/reverse light conversion Reply with quote

Dan Scully wrote:
Hansen_Photo wrote:

I have a set of org vw amber ,red set . Going a different route on my 73 and not using these. If you are interested shoot me a PM or @ [email protected] and I ,ll get you some pics if interested . Thanks

The original post was about 16 months ago, if he hasn't done it by now I guess it will not be getting done.

Overheard on 27 June 07, one lady to another when they saw my Harli in a parking lot at West Point, "maybe he found it on the clearance aisle at the Volkswagen dealer"
Dan Scully
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: European style Trekker tail lights/reverse light conversion Reply with quote

I went a different route with another common light used on these , except I used back up lights from a bus as turn signals. The 58-61 bus taillights are brake and tail .
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: