Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Swepco 202 - Moly XP 75W90 Synthetic Transmission Oil
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:27 am    Post subject: Swepco 202 - Moly XP 75W90 Synthetic Transmission Oil Reply with quote

Has anyone tried this in a Syncro transaxle yet?

Any thoughts from the tranny Gurus? I still struggle with the cold temp shifting using Swepco 201. But am keeping it for the R&P.

Formulated with MolyXP & Lubiumฎ II SWEPCO 202 MolyXP 75W90 Synthetic Gear Lube is a high performance gear oil formulated to deliver unsurpassed, all-weather performance. Whether the application calls for protection of heavy over the road trucking or automobiles, SWEPCO’s Syntheon™ synthetic base stock, MolyXP advanced EP additive and proprietary Lubiumฎ II chemistry insure extended drain protection from wear foaming, overheating, deposits, rust and water contamination. If you want to insure maximum performance, smoother shifting and longer gear box life, choose SWEPCO 202 MolyXP 75W90 Synthetic Gear Lube.

* Note: SWEPCO 202 is a multi-grade product that has the viscosity of an SAE 75W (ISO 32) in cold weather start up conditions and the viscosity of an SAE 90 (ISO 220) once it has reached operating temperatures. it is intended for applications that require an SAE 75W90 pr a single grade SEA 90 but could benefit from improved cold weather start up performance. It is not intended to be substituted where OEM recommendations call for single grade 75w, 80w or 90 weights

Typical Physical Characteristics

SAE Gear Oil Grade ……………………… 75W90
ISO Viscosity Grade ……………………… ISO 32-220
API Gravity, 60 ฐ F ………………………… 33
Density @ 60 ฐ C, lbs / gal (kg / l) ………… 7,21 (0,865)
Flash point, COC, ฐ F (ฐ C) ………………… 410 (210)
Viscosity, 40 ฐ C, cSt ……………………… 81,33
Viscosity 100 ฐ C, cSt ……………………… 14,76
Pour Point, ฐ F (ฐ C) Max ………………… -49 (-45)
Viscosity Index …………………………… 191

Feature Benefit
Characteristics
Syntheon™ Gives you a more uniform viscosity over a wide temperature range
Helps improve thermal stability and resistance to high temperature oxidation
Better low temperature flow characteristics help reduce start-up wear
Extends service life

MolyXP Ads a protective film on moving parts that dramatically reduces friction & wear

LUBIUMฎ II Enhances oxidation and corrosion resistance

Multi-Grade Formulation Insure full film lubrication without channeling on start-up in cold temperatures
Lower fuel/energy consumption during equipment warm up
Full SAE 90 viscosity at operating temperature

Oxidation Inhibitor Reduces oil thickening
Helps prevent sludge, varnish and carbon deposits that result from oxidation

Rust & corrosion Inhibitor Builds a chemical bond with the surface to keep moisture and acids from penetrating and attacking the surfaces

Anti-Foam Additive Can lower oil temperatures by 20 -50cF by dispersing foam, releasing trapped heat

Oiliness Additive Enables the oil to penetrate the surface for better lubrication

Anti-Wear Additive Helps prevent metal to metal contact, friction and wear

Extreme Pressure Additive Increases film strength of the oil giving it the ability to withstand extreme pressures without harming yellow metals

Demulsifier Additive Promotes rapid water separation and easy water drain off after shut down

Pour Point Depressant Additive Gives the oil better low temperature flow characteristics
Helps to reduce low temperature start-up wear

Viscosity Index Improver Additive Less high temperature thinning and low temperature thickening

Limited Slip Differential Additive Insures proper frictional characteristics to eliminate chatter, shudder

Saves Energy Increased “oiliness” provides friction reducing film on vital metal parts to improve fuel economy

Long Life Drain cycles 2-3 times longer than conventional oils
Reduces waste oil

LabTecSM Fluid Analysis Program Maximizes equipment and lubricant life and helps identify impending problems

Thanks,
Ron

http://www.paragon-products.com/Swepco-202-Gear-Oil-p/swepco-202.htm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Swepco 202 - Moly XP 75W90 Synthetic Transmission Oil Reply with quote

Sounds pretty good, and from a manufacturer I trust.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Swepco 202 - Moly XP 75W90 Synthetic Transmission Oil Reply with quote

News to me, but I'll try it.
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Swepco 202 - Moly XP 75W90 Synthetic Transmission Oil Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:

Dylan,

You wanted to see the magnet on the tranny you sold my son. We just dumped the gear oil and here is the magnet. This has 28k more miles on it. Very Happy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I can't believe he is selling his pride and joy. It is up for sale on The Samba. I told him we should change the fluids in the van so the new owner knows it was all recently done. It has fresh Swepco 201 in the box.

We also did the CV joints.

Thanks again for all of your help and sharing your wisdom.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Swepco 202 - Moly XP 75W90 Synthetic Transmission Oil Reply with quote

why not contact Swepco?

also find out if the Vanagon has Porsche type synchronizers, or Borg-warner or what & tell them that
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Swepco 202 - Moly XP 75W90 Synthetic Transmission Oil Reply with quote

Most Vanagon transaxles will have moly coated synchro rings (Borg Warner style).

I think Porsche patented balkring type synchronizers (moly coated steel bands) are only found in pre-'87 Porsches and some early BMWs. Porsche moved over to Borg Warner synchros in '87.

While Swepco 201 was developed especially for Porsche Motorsports, it works well for many different marques, especially beneficial for the R&Ps in racing transaxles. This is the reason we like it. Not because it shifts smooth.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Swepco 202 - Moly XP 75W90 Synthetic Transmission Oil Reply with quote

gears wrote:
Sounds pretty good, and from a manufacturer I trust.

Hey Paul, what do reckon regarding its compatibility with a Peloquin and a Subaru engine?

Thanks, Jake
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Swepco 202 - Moly XP 75W90 Synthetic Transmission Oil Reply with quote

Most LSDs need no additives to combat chattering, and in fact often suffer performance-wise if additives or moly is used. But the Peloquin is a TBD, and performs pretty much the same with all oil types.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: Swepco 202 - Moly XP 75W90 Synthetic Transmission Oil Reply with quote

Syncro Jael wrote:
insyncro wrote:

Dylan,

You wanted to see the magnet on the tranny you sold my son. We just dumped the gear oil and here is the magnet. This has 28k more miles on it. Very Happy

I can't believe he is selling his pride and joy. It is up for sale on The Samba. I told him we should change the fluids in the van so the new owner knows it was all recently done. It has fresh Swepco 201 in the box.

We also did the CV joints.

Thanks again for all of your help and sharing your wisdom.

Ron,
Vans come and go.
Sorry to hear that your Son's is going.
Many others are selling nice vans right now as well.
Tis the season.
I am very glad that the transmission was a faithful one for those miles.
Also thanks for the 202 tip, going to order some up and give it a whirl.
Like Paul, I trust Swepco.
Mountain1.8t
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Swepco 202 - Moly XP 75W90 Synthetic Transmission Oil Reply with quote

Has anyone actually tried this yet?
Reck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Swepco 202 - Moly XP 75W90 Synthetic Transmission Oil Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
why not contact Swepco?

also find out if the Vanagon has Porsche type synchronizers, or Borg-warner or what & tell them that

This poster from another gear lube thread asked and here's Swepco's response:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8028812#8028812

I'd like to hear of someone's experience going from 201 to the 202. I'm breaking in a AA rebuild on 201 and over the winter it's been pretty stiff with unavoidable moderate chunking going into second when cold. Nothing drastic, just not sure I want to keep that behavior forever, since I'm not running a high-horsepower engine.

Last edited by Reck on Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Swepco 202 - Moly XP 75W90 Synthetic Transmission Oil Reply with quote

Running_Man wrote:

I have about 8000 miles on my rebuilt syncro transaxle running Swepco 202. It shifts flawlessly even in subzero temps. This will be the first season of summer temps coming, but it runs cooler than the last transaxle I had in it with Swepco 201.

My filter and magnet check looked great.

So far so good. I am also running a new Weddle ring and pinion. So the verdict is still out on how long it will give me service. I did break it in as per Weddle instructions and hopefully I don't have any early failures.

Time will tell. I run an EJ22.

EDIT: I went out and checked the odometer 9,120 miles on rebuild since 10/10/16. Here is a clip of the swarf captured on the last filter check 12/3/16 at 91,626 miles. This gearbox has been running Swepco 202 from the start.

Link

ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Swepco 202 - Moly XP 75W90 Synthetic Transmission Oil Reply with quote

So the transmission shifts better with 202 than 201 according to your experience?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Reck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Swepco 202 - Moly XP 75W90 Synthetic Transmission Oil Reply with quote

Syncro Jael wrote:
Running_Man wrote:

I have about 8000 miles on my rebuilt syncro transaxle running Swepco 202. It shifts flawlessly even in subzero temps. This will be the first season of summer temps coming, but it runs cooler than the last transaxle I had in it with Swepco 201.

My filter and magnet check looked great.

This is sounding better and better.

In a different thread a few months ago, commenting on Swepco 202, member gears suggested he might soon have a new recommendation on oil for our transaxles (at least from his perspective of syncro/high-hp). Unfortunately, in searching I don't find that he's made one.
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Swepco 202 - Moly XP 75W90 Synthetic Transmission Oil Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:
So the transmission shifts better with 202 than 201 according to your experience?

My last transaxle always was difficult to shift from the day I installed it. Since it was installed in October, and I used Swepco 201, with the cold temps I just shrugged it off to the gear oil. But when summer came it was still notchy in first and second gears. Since the main bearing failed, cracked race, I installed another transaxle rebuilt from Mr. Gas. It has only seen Swepco 202 and has always shifted like butter in all gears at all temperatures.

So I am probably not the best example of testing.

The Swepco 202 is about $95 a gallon everywhere I looked once you add shipping. Shocked
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Swepco 202 - Moly XP 75W90 Synthetic Transmission Oil Reply with quote

Syncro Jael wrote:
ALIKA T3 wrote:

My last transaxle always was difficult to shift from the day I installed it. Since it was installed in October, and I used Swepco 201, with the cold temps I just shrugged it off to the gear oil. But when summer came it was still notchy in first and second gears. Since the main bearing failed, cracked race, I installed another transaxle rebuilt from Mr. Gas. It has only seen Swepco 202 and has always shifted like butter in all gears at all temperatures.

So I am probably not the best example of testing.

The Swepco 202 is about $95 a gallon everywhere I looked once you add shipping. Shocked

Aouch! and doesn't ship to Hawai'i :/

Thank you for your input Wink
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
dyldebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Swepco 202 - Moly XP 75W90 Synthetic Transmission Oil Reply with quote

So glad to finally see this! I really hate shifting with 201 when the van is cold. It's turned into a game to see if I can shift at the perfect time with just the right movement to avoid clunking. I love 201 when it's warm but I've had 202 in my cart for 6 months for someone to try it.

8k miles is a nice trial period. Please post again if you run into any troubles. Thanks!
Reck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Swepco 202 - Moly XP 75W90 Synthetic Transmission Oil Reply with quote

Syncro Gael wrote:
...has only seen Swepco 202 and has always shifted like butter in all gears at all temperatures.

Thanks for all your input. Well, I guess I'll be the first to report back-to-back differences in shift action between 201 and 202. Unless dyldebus gets there first.

dyldebus wrote:
...I really hate shifting with 201 when the van is cold. It's turned into a game to see if I can shift at the perfect time with just the right movement to avoid clunking...

My experience exactly.

Here's a supplier that will ship it for under $91:

https://www.paragon-products.com/ShoppingCart.asp
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Swepco 202 - Moly XP 75W90 Synthetic Transmission Oil Reply with quote

Reck wrote:
Here's a supplier that will ship it for under $91:

Yes, that is where I just purchased mine from:

Code: swepco-202
Product: Swepco 202 - Moly XP 75W90 Synthetic Transmission Oil
Quantity: 2 @$76.95

Subtotal: $153.90
Tax: $0.00
Shipping & Handling: $16.96
Grand Total: $170.86

It is always good to have some on the shelf... Wink
Reck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Swepco 202 - Moly XP 75W90 Synthetic Transmission Oil Reply with quote

Syncro Jael wrote:
It is always good to have some on the shelf... Wink

Well, yes, but I think you're the fellow with one or two extra transaxles also on the shelf... Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: