Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Swepco 202 - Moly XP 75W90 Synthetic Transmission Oil
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Swepco 202 - Moly XP 75W90 Synthetic Transmission Oil Reply with quote

[Edited with more detail, a correction]
Wow, what a difference. Could not be happier with the feel of the gearbox now, with 202 in it. Smooth, no fight getting into first, no harsh chunking into second, buttery feel into third and fourth, far less cold-start effect. Yet I'm confident this company's product is not sacrificing performance for 'feel', especially in my moderate torque/horsepower, 2wd application.

For what it's worth, Swepco okayed 202 for my specific setup when I queried them, and Gary Peloquin okayed 203 (uses Swepco's moly additive, as in 202), some while back when I was thinking about using it.

I chose to break-in the AA rebuild with 201, rather than the RedLine AA recommends, due to the poor estimation of RedLine in threads here. I sort of see AA's rationale, assuming low hp, a gentle break-in, and a short one (say 500 mi). But I have to do my mechanic-ing outside and winter loomed, so I went with something I was confident in for 1000+ miles. The 201 sure was stiff over the winter. Here are drain-plug photos:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wiped off, there were only three or four granular bits (visible on the towel below the smear). Everything else was powder-fine. I think I'm happy with this. But I'm really happy there's 202 in there now.

Last edited by Reck on Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:06 pm; edited 4 times in total
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Swepco 202 - Moly XP 75W90 Synthetic Transmission Oil Reply with quote

Thanks for the valuable feedback, guys. Please keep us informed "down the road" (as to what you see on the drain plug, etc) ..
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Swepco 202 - Moly XP 75W90 Synthetic Transmission Oil Reply with quote

There is no question about using a good 75-90 GL 4/5 full synthetic oil in new, cleaned, maintained boxes, Paul.
I am using it since over 10 years in over 100 boxes.
Just shaking my head over the price you pay there.
Here is 1L 5 Euro.
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Swepco 202 - Moly XP 75W90 Synthetic Transmission Oil Reply with quote

Generalizations don't seem to work for us here, Waldi. A number of U.S. synthetics have fallen FAR short in their job of protecting our internals. "Shifts good" isn't nearly as important to me as "parts look good" during disassembly.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Swepco 202 - Moly XP 75W90 Synthetic Transmission Oil Reply with quote

So how can you know if it is a bad quality of parts or bad oil ?
Thats why i use the same oil since ever and also the same deliverer of parts.
But i would not worrie to use another oil with same specifications like mine from a known manufacturer.

Seems like boxes over there fail because of parts, oil, mechanics, driving style. Did i forget something ? Oh, wait, age and miles Wink
Too many generalizations Wink
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Swepco 202 - Moly XP 75W90 Synthetic Transmission Oil Reply with quote

gears wrote:
Sounds pretty good, and from a manufacturer I trust.

thanks for all your support over the years, your posts are really valuable to me

Syncro Jael wrote:
I have about 8000 miles on my rebuilt syncro transaxle running Swepco 202. It shifts flawlessly even in subzero temps. This will be the first season of summer temps coming, but it runs cooler than the last transaxle I had in it with Swepco 201.

My filter and magnet check looked great.

outstanding filtration system and video

so glad to hear the 202 has solved the cold shift problem with the 201..

respect for your putting you gearbox on the line to educate us

Reck wrote:
Could not be happier with the feel of the gearbox now, with 202 in it. Smooth, no fight getting into first, no harsh chunking into second, buttery feel into third and fourth, far less cold-start effect.

thank you for posting your experience

sounds like a winner!

I also struggled with cold 201 and clunky notchy 2nd gear in my Syncro. So these Swepco 202 reports are now the gold standard for me. Molly for the Win!Smile

Like!
regis101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Swepco 202 - Moly XP 75W90 Synthetic Transmission Oil Reply with quote

So, i'm three beers into this.
Read what I think is a reference to 2WD transaxles also benefit from the 202?
I went into the FAQ. Read that. Linked into the 50+ page dialogue from a few yrs ago. Read some of that. So... Swepco 202 is good for our 2WD's also?
Thanks,
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Swepco 202 - Moly XP 75W90 Synthetic Transmission Oil Reply with quote

regis101 wrote:
So... Swepco 202 is good for our 2WD's also?

yes
2wd and syncro trannies have the same type of gear design. Whats good for one is good for the other.

I used Swepco in both my Syncros and still do in my 2wd Van.

In fact, my 2wd has 250k miles on the original tranny.. it had a whine when I used Redline, before I learned better. I thought it was on its way out after 200k miles. So I decided to give it the Swepco 201 spa treatment, just to see, and believe it or not, after about 1000 miles, the whine sort of went away, and the whole tranny feels fine in every way.

I would not hesitate to use Swepco 202 in my 2wd next time. FWIW, in my 2wd, I get smooth shifts with Swepco 201 even when cold.. none of the notchy second gear stuff we get in a syncro with swepco 201..

but, Im all for Molly in a Tranny, I have no reservations about Swepco 202, in any Vanagon.
regis101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Swepco 202 - Moly XP 75W90 Synthetic Transmission Oil Reply with quote

Cool. Thanks.
I have stone cold hard shifting from first to second and/or neutral to first ,until about fifteen minutes of driving. Related this to the shift mechanism. It may well be part of the equation. But I'm due for a trans fluid change anyway to make ready for the new camping season.

* quick update from their website.
Specifications Exceeded
API GL-5 • API MT-1 • SAE J2360 • Mack Trucks GO-J • GM 12346140 • Ford M2C-192A • Chrysler MS-8985 • Porsche Transaxle & Manual Transmissions • And all other OEM 75w90 Service Specifications*

To reiterate , the GL-5 info is ok?
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Swepco 202 - Moly XP 75W90 Synthetic Transmission Oil Reply with quote

regis101 wrote:
GL-5

YES!!!! you WANT the GL-5, foggedabout the old wives tale that yellow metal will be unhappy.. our trannies dont have exposed yellow metal, its plated..

there is no reason NOT to use Swepco 202 GL-5..

stop asking over and over, so I can stop this repetition Smile

buy some, use it, let us know how it shifts.. youve got people like Syncro Jael who has vouched for it, I dont see how you could go wrong
Reck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Swepco 202 - Moly XP 75W90 Synthetic Transmission Oil Reply with quote

Yes. That old yellow-metals thing just doesn't die. As I understand it, when GL-5 was published, some manufacturers reached it with compounds that were not yellow-metal compatible. But GL-5 itself as a spec is neutral, and Swepco 201, 202 and 203, if not all their GL-5, is fine. Here's Swepco's response to me regarding 201 (their response to the same query about 202 is the same, I just can't find it to quote):

"Thank you for your inquiry and for using SWEPCO products. Yes SWEPCO 201 gear oil is compatible with the brass components in the VW Transaxle. SWEPCO 201 is design to be compatible with all yellow metals even at high temperatures over an extended time. SWEPCO 201 will give you excellent service in your VW. Please let us know if you have further questions."

Edit, found it:

"202 should work well in this application. It is yellow metal friendly and will fix the low temperature issues.

With kind regards,

John Barnes
Southwestern Petroleum Corporation
Senior Scientist, Manager of Research, Development, and Technical Services."
Reck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Swepco 202 - Moly XP 75W90 Synthetic Transmission Oil Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:

...FWIW, in my 2wd, I get smooth shifts with Swepco 201 even when cold.. none of the notchy second gear stuff we get in a syncro with swepco 201..

So now we know what to do when they reach 200k; just add 201 to take up the wear and the slack and it's all good again!
regis101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Swepco 202 - Moly XP 75W90 Synthetic Transmission Oil Reply with quote

Quote:
stop asking over and over, so I can stop this repetition :-)

Well I said I was five beers into this thing.
Just pulled the trigger. I'll give it a try fer schure.

Thanks all
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: Swepco 202 - Moly XP 75W90 Synthetic Transmission Oil Reply with quote

Reck wrote:
So now we know what to do when they reach 200k; just add 201 to take up the wear and the slack and it's all good again!

yup, theres some very savvy people in Santa Fe
at least, I used to live there, and it works for my 85, w stock wboxer..
ymmv if you flog it Wink

regis101 wrote:

Well I said I was five beers into this thing.
Just pulled the trigger.

no you said 3 beers, so I cut you some slack, at first.. LOL

congrats on pulling the trigger! I hope Im not on the hook if your tranny croaks after that..

do let us know your impressions, and good luck!
regis101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Swepco 202 - Moly XP 75W90 Synthetic Transmission Oil Reply with quote

Quote:
no you said 3 beers, so I cut you some slack, at first.. LOL

I meant that after five beers, a trigger was pulled. Sometimes my typing finger doesn't cooperate with the brain. And vice versa. And sometimes it doesn't take beer but enough about me.

Found some deals in the $75 dollar range plus shipping. I went with Amazon at $92 with free shipping. Works out about the same and I didn't have to put my info out there into yet another interwebs web. Should be here next week sometime. I'll try to reply back in early April.
I have the standard shelf bought StaLube GL-4 80w-90 in there now so I'm sure the Swepco will be be nice improvement.

~RL
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Swepco 202 - Moly XP 75W90 Synthetic Transmission Oil Reply with quote

Regis,
how many miles on your box ?
I am not sure if filling it with synthetic oil is something good to it.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...c+oil+dirt
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Swepco 202 - Moly XP 75W90 Synthetic Transmission Oil Reply with quote

Waldi wrote:
I am not sure if filling it with synthetic oil is something good to it.

swepco is not synthetic
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Swepco 202 - Moly XP 75W90 Synthetic Transmission Oil Reply with quote

Fake news or alternative facts ? Wink

"Swepco 202 - Moly XP 75W90 Synthetic Transmission Oi"
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Swepco 202 - Moly XP 75W90 Synthetic Transmission Oil Reply with quote

Waldi wrote:

oops, alternative fact
thanks for keeping me honest Smile

back to your regularly scheduled program..
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Swepco 202 - Moly XP 75W90 Synthetic Transmission Oil Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:
Waldi wrote:

oops, alternative fact
thanks for keeping me honest Smile

back to your regularly scheduled program..

You haven't learned how to do alternative facts, yet, Jon...

You should just repost your original

Swepco is not synthetic...

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

(Insert sarcasm icon for those who can't figure out the obvious)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: