Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Swepco 202 - Moly XP 75W90 Synthetic Transmission Oil
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Swepco 202 - Moly XP 75W90 Synthetic Transmission Oil Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

You haven't learned how to do alternative facts, yet, Jon...

true, let me try again
Swepco 201 is not synthetic..

Last edited by Jon_slider on Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
regis101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Swepco 202 - Moly XP 75W90 Synthetic Transmission Oil Reply with quote

I did use Liqui Moly products many moons ago in an AC Bus/Westy. German lube for a German vehicle was the train of thought. iirc, the engine developed some leaks. I don't remember how the trans reacted.

I'm equating the Swepco into a similar family of lubes. I'll give it a try.
No harm. No foul. I hope.
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Swepco 202 - Moly XP 75W90 Synthetic Transmission Oil Reply with quote

You should add " swepco is are fake news!" lol
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Swepco 202 - Moly XP 75W90 Synthetic Transmission Oil Reply with quote

regis101 wrote:
I did use Liqui Moly products many moons ago in an AC Bus/Westy. German lube for a German vehicle was the train of thought. iirc, the engine developed some leaks. I don't remember how the trans reacted.

I'm equating the Swepco into a similar family of lubes. I'll give it a try.
No harm. No foul. I hope.

Liqui Moly is a good manufacturer/good product, just a bit expensive for my taste.
In my diesel engines i use a 15-40 oil with VW specification 50€ per 20L.
My AAZ has now 300tsd km.
The Liqui Moly gearbox oil is 3-4x more expensive than my High Performer.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Swepco 202 - Moly XP 75W90 Synthetic Transmission Oil Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:
Abscate wrote:

You haven't learned how to do alternative facts, yet, Jon...

true, let me try again
Swepco 201 is not synthetic..

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I opened my microwave and found SWEPCO inside, looking at me.
flomulgator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Swepco 202 - Moly XP 75W90 Synthetic Transmission Oil Reply with quote

Put electrical tape over your microwave window like a normal person. Next your gonna tell me your blender is unsecured too huh?
Laughing

Waldi if gear oil is anything like motor oil "synthetic" doesn't have to mean "synthetic". If you go to the store we have "Castrol Synthetic" and for more $$ "Castrol Synthetic Euro formula". Guess which one is actually synthetic. It has to be shipped from factories in Belgium and Germany.

Many Americans prefer coca-cola from Mexico now too, because they make it better than we can at home, as an ironic comparison. Like Euro synthetic oils though, it is hard to find though because our markets are flooded with cheap domestic crap.
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: Swepco 202 - Moly XP 75W90 Synthetic Transmission Oil Reply with quote

Yeah, sure, also here you have to read exactly what they want to sell to you.
You can find "half synthetic", "systhetic formula", "synthetic base", but only if they write "full synthetic" it is very possible to get a synthetic oil.
I wont say that a non synthetic oil will not work in our boxes, (there are still working gearboxes with 30 years old w80 oil ) but the reason why i choose a full synthetic oil in new, clean boxes, is because only full synthetic oil has the application api 4 AND 5, and because of the higher temperatur resistance without leaving black burned stuff inside.

A good site to check euro oils is
https://www.reifendirekt.de/cgi-bin/oshop.pl?cart_...e+anzeigen
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Swepco 202 - Moly XP 75W90 Synthetic Transmission Oil Reply with quote

Here is an update of my Syncro Transaxle running Swepco 202.
It is also in the cooling/filtering post.

Just an FYI.

Link

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Swepco 202 - Moly XP 75W90 Synthetic Transmission Oil Reply with quote

Syncro Jael wrote:
an update of my Syncro Transaxle

wow!
after how many miles?
DometicLover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Swepco 202 - Moly XP 75W90 Synthetic Transmission Oil Reply with quote

Does it correlate with your recent weight loss as well? Van weight, not yours... What was the weight during those miles?
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Swepco 202 - Moly XP 75W90 Synthetic Transmission Oil Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:

wow!
after how many miles?

This is with 5,695 miles since the last filter check. I make it a habit to inspect the filter around every 5000 miles. It is really nice to see it is making less swarf on each filter cleaning. Very Happy

Here is the link to the filtering thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8389505#8389505

DometicLover wrote:
Does it correlate with your recent weight loss as well? Van weight, not yours... What was the weight during those miles?

The van still weighs in around 5300-5500 lbs. I am back to hauling most of my recovery gear again while playing in the desert this spring. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pcforno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Swepco 202 - Moly XP 75W90 Synthetic Transmission Oil Reply with quote

Yes the filtering and cooling definitely works. I need to make a video when I do this too but I have essentially the same exam - almost no swarf on a new GW rebuild, filtering to 7 microns, magnom filter, and jet of oil at 4th/MS. Mine is set to go on when I hit above MPH ( to catch whenever I'm in 4th)

I'm gonna switch to 202 I think as well. The 201 is tough in the winter temps below 30 and I like the idea of synthetic and moly.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Swepco 202 - Moly XP 75W90 Synthetic Transmission Oil Reply with quote

I spoke with John Barnes at Swepco a year ago. I did not realize he was Senior Scientist. Wink Wink

Barnes told me that you cannot solve a mechanical problem with chemical means. We were discussing overload of the VW gearbox. He said there are things you can do to prolong the life; there are is chemical, cooling, filtering solutions. He said clean oil is a given requirement for overloaded machinery, and often machinery cannot be shut-down, therefore many companies exist to provide a filtering service while the machine is running. They come to the factory on a periodic basis to cleanse the oil.

He said that Swepco company's existence it due to the fact that many industrial systems are being overloaded, run beyond their capacity, with no possibility of re-design. They know it, consequently the operators are lookingthe best possible chemical solution they can get. Which he says of course,,, is Swepco! Which could be true, but we can't know that. And a filtering regime too (if any metal fines are detected).

He recommended their Synthetic Moly 203 as the best possible oil for our problem and he said the moly cannot be filtered or settled out. I think 202 is synthetic+moly and 203 is 201+moly. So 202 would probably shift easier.

He said oil cannot solve the horsepower problem but there are several things that can be done to prolong the life (cooling, fitering). He never said that settling was as good as changing the oil Wink Wink but he did say that their moly doesn't settle out because it's a "chemical moly". Hmmmmm. I wonder what the Liqui-moly folks think of that. Wink Wink Mr Barnes also said that metal fines will "settle out" of gear oil by gravity over time and that it's "100%". Wink Wink As one Samba fella said (PCForno) "yeah that stuff's gotta get outta there". I noted significant purification in 3 weeks settling. More info here in the "summer/winter 6 months settling thread".

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:05 am; edited 2 times in total
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Swepco 202 - Moly XP 75W90 Synthetic Transmission Oil Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
I spoke with John Barnes at Swepco a year ago.

He recommended their Synthetic Moly 203 as the best possible oil for our problem and he said the moly cannot be filtered or settled out.

After reading this I did some research on the Swepco 202 vs 203. They are both very similar in all the performance properties. Except the 202 has a much higher VI (viscosity index). The higher the VI the more stable the viscosity, and that is a good thing for gear oil that is subjected to extreme temperature changes like we have in Utah.

Shifting has been improved using 202 compared to 201. I can easily shift in first and second gears in subzero temperatures. Before it was almost impossible until the gear oil temperature rose.

"SWEPCO 202 is a multi-grade product that has the viscosity of an SAE 75w (ISO 32) in cold weather start up conditions and the viscosity of an SAE 90 (ISO 220) once it has reached operating temperatures. It is intended for applications that require an SAE 75w90 or a single grade SAE 90 but could benefit from improved cold weather start up performance."

I am attaching the technical specifications for both gear oils for your reading, along with some articles from Machinery Lubrication.

Swepco 202 http://swepcolube.com/sites/default/files/package_inserts/swepco_202_sales_brochure_j13065.pdf

Swepco 203 http://swepcolube.com/sites/default/files/package_...j03865.pdf

What is the Viscosity Index? http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/28956/lubricant-viscosity-index

Choosing gear oils. http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/926/gear-oils

I am keeping close watch of the metals captured in the filtering system using Swepco 202 in my current rebuild. This box has only seen 202 and was also used as the break-in gear oil. I have also done research on Molybdenum disulfide as an additive for Extreme Pressure, it has had favorable results and should help the transaxle perform longer. Time will tell. Rolling Eyes
Reck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Swepco 202 - Moly XP 75W90 Synthetic Transmission Oil Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:

He recommended their Synthetic Moly 203 as the best possible oil for our problem and he said the moly cannot be filtered or settled out. I think 202 is synthetic+moly and 203 is 201+moly. So 202 would probably shift easier.

Sodo, I think in the above red-highlighted text, you meant "He recommended their Synthetic Moly 202..."

Thanks for the details from Swepco's engineer, it helps me feel good about making the choice of 202. Almost as good as Syncro Jael's drain plug photo. It's a new product and it took a bit of faith in Swepco to make the leap. Certainly in going from 201 to 202 in my freshly rebuilt box, it made a big shiftability difference, in anything but a fully warmed up situation.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Swepco 202 - Moly XP 75W90 Synthetic Transmission Oil Reply with quote

We were discussing max protection and he recommended Moly 203.

I've read in a couple places that you can't have easy shifting and maximum protection from the same gear oil. You get one or the other. But you will get longest life from max protection. Keep in mind you have to enjoy this longer trans life. I'm running Lubrication Engineers Synolec 9919, I like how it shifts much better than the Swepco 201 (probably similar shifting to 203?).

You have a sensible motor (Subaru 2.2 or Bostig or GW 2.5) perhaps you can opt for easy shifting. Bigger motor? - better have cooling and filtering, or an aggressive gear oil cleanliness regime! For any hope of long life you should have a cleanliness regime. Imagine if it was kept clean from mile zero? Other than that silly 3-4 hub breaking these trans would all be running longer on original german parts if the gear oil was changed several times (instead of once at 120,000).

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
Pcforno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Swepco 202 - Moly XP 75W90 Synthetic Transmission Oil Reply with quote

Should be easy enough to call back or email the swepco scientist and ask which gear oil - 202 vs 203, given our main concerns over 4th gear, MS bearing thrust, and hypoid R and P.
If the synthetic has a higher viscosity than the Dino oil, and synthetics are less likely to suffer thermal breakdown (as we know) wouldn't it be better? The scientist should know...
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Swepco 202 - Moly XP 75W90 Synthetic Transmission Oil Reply with quote

Pcforno wrote:
If the synthetic has a higher viscosity than the Dino oil, and synthetics are less likely to suffer thermal breakdown (as we know) wouldn't it be better? The scientist should know...

I suspect, being Swepco senior scientist, he is wholly aware of those issues. And the oil he recommended was 203. I told him I was cooling my oil which he said will increase (the oil's) lifetime substantially. He said limiting oil temp to 150*F the (203=dino) oil lifetime would be "almost indefinite" (like "forever").

This discussion (fussing about oil) is not for everyone, ONLY for overloaded transaxles, expensive transaxles, or transaxles that already have 150,000 miles. And for those with time/dexterity/Limbo/interest to tool up and do this work under your antique. You fellers with new Vanagons (10k miles etc and 82/90 hp) don't worry about it you'll be fine for the lifetime of the vehicle! Wink We envy you, and wish we had your transaxle for our antique vehicles' future life (that we would treat with care)!

I question the wisdom of choosing synthetic for the "longer running", or the "reduced maintenance" issue. The environment in this case is an overloaded transaxle. SJ &PC you both have filters & magnets but for others (?????) While the oil itself lasts longer, the overload is contaminating it with metal bits bigger than the oil film thickness. Particles that you cannot detect visibly can be 25 times bigger than oil film thickness. So your secret sauce ain't working. If the specialty oil was clean, then yes you COULD get the benefit of your secret sauce.

Its like buying the best most comfortable shoes in the world. A tiny rock in there can't be ignored. Perhaps with novocaine. If your bearing races & gear faces had nerves you would know when its time to take off a shoe & dump the rock out.

It all points to a purification regime. Such as fluid replacement, filtering or settling/purification. If you have no method to remove the microscopic metal bits it's probably better to just choose garden-variety GL-5 that you can dump at the drop of a hat. Theres $15/gal GL5 at the FLAPS or perhaps $35 Kendall that the Porsche fellas like.

A major problem being gear oil maintenance is impossible for most Vanagon owners, perhaps 98%, and no fun at all for the remaining 2%. So realistically the Vanagons just take their lumps and pay the money which is appx $2000 for a garden variety rebuild to $5/6/7,000 for better work, more new parts and perhaps longer life (under big engines). Also suggests looking into methods to ease the process of gear oil change, such as an electric pump or tools suited to ease the task.

Last edited by Sodo on Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:08 pm; edited 6 times in total
Pcforno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Swepco 202 - Moly XP 75W90 Synthetic Transmission Oil Reply with quote

Sodo - when you talked with him over a year ago, 202 wasn't out yet, only 203...
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Swepco 202 - Moly XP 75W90 Synthetic Transmission Oil Reply with quote

Well that's a good point.

I'd like to know how much better it is, but not sure if that's possible to know. I've never seen any info showing what's the actual power-handling increase available with better oils. Is it more than single-digit? I've seen claims of 3-7% increases, which is a marginal benefit when you've increased power by 44% (130hp) or 83%(165hp).

Better oils likely tolerate higher temperatures for longer periods, and other benefits too. I know very little about oils. It's very difficult (for a general consumer) to keep your wits about you in any market where the profit margin is so high. Very, very smart, motivated people are managing the "education" for their profit, and nobody really cares so they pretty much have carte blanche to write the current wisdom.

One should never forget the propensity to recommend the oil that offers the best % reseller markup. Exclamation Exclamation Question

Last edited by Sodo on Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: