Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Advice sought: 91 Westy (update: bought it!)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
HackAl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice sought: 91 Westy Reply with quote

Will do. I garaged it for the week, but will take it out on Thursday.

I'm surprised by how much I'm obsessing over the smallest things: curtain snaps; window squeaks; battery usage; blinking temperature light; console options; side step options; etc. I'm finding the answers slowly but surely. I spent my lunch break trying to find an area rug for the van. Nothing would do.

So far, my wife and daughter are "on board" but even they are starting to wonder. Some days I feel like Richard Dryfuss in Close Encounters. "This means something..."

It's nice to know that some people get me. Thanks for the interest!

Last edited by HackAl on Sun May 01, 2016 9:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HackAl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice sought: 91 Westy Reply with quote

Gaps in interior molding were also a mystery to me, until now:

http://www.kpcnsk.com/?p=501

Bizarre.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HackAl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Advice sought: 91 Westy Reply with quote

Some pictures...

Note the console/cup holder made from my daughter's sink-step. This is my first van hack. She and I slept in the van last night. She slept upstairs (like a rabid raccoon). I didn't run her enough yesterday.

Anyway, the newness hasn't worn off yet and we are loving every minute.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

chase4food
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Advice sought: 91 Westy Reply with quote

Congratulations! Very Happy You are very lucky to core one that is relatively unadulterated and very well preserved Westfalia, without all the goofy mods. If there is one advise I can offer, some of my best mods are that ones that I didn't do. Do give a lot of thought before doing anything that is irreversible and think long term. The next owner will appreciate what you do and not do.

what Isolde wants Isolde doesn't always get, 4 I know what is best for her - Liebe macht frei
HackAl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice sought: 91 Westy Reply with quote

Thanks Vince. I thought about an air conditioning mod for about a minute then stopped myself when I read your reply.

Question:
-The sink doesn't drain unless I unscrew the reservoir under the van. Is/was there a vent pipe someplace?

Also- for any NJ/NJ/CT/PA folks: Any camp sites you like within 100 miles or so of NYC? Any meetups?
chase4food
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice sought: 91 Westy Reply with quote

HackAl wrote:
Thanks Vince. I thought about an air conditioning mod for about a minute then stopped myself when I read your reply.

Question:
-The sink doesn't drain unless I unscrew the reservoir under the van. Is/was there a vent pipe someplace?

Also- for any NJ/NJ/CT/PA folks: Any camp sites you like within 100 miles or so of NYC? Any meetups?

From the factory, there is no waste water reservoir, unless someone added one. Chance is the cap you unscrew is factory, and should remain off, unless you are told by a national park ranger not to discharge onto the campground. Still the cap makes no difference.

what Isolde wants Isolde doesn't always get, 4 I know what is best for her - Liebe macht frei
HackAl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice sought: 91 Westy Reply with quote

Oh. Now I feel like a dope. I had just assumed there was a grey water tank. Problem solved!

Ever consider temporarily trading your van? Join the list.
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice sought: 91 Westy Reply with quote

Part of the fun with a Westy is customizing/modifying it the way YOU like it. Not modifying your van is like not sleeping with your wife so she'll be pure for the next guy. That being said, of course there are some mods that are better than others. I prefer those that improve function over form. What particular a/c mod were you thinking about? There are several that improve performance.

These aren't 1/600 vintage Ferraris that will suffer in value if modified from original... just don't end up in the "Wall of Shame" thread and your van's resale value will be just fine Laughing .
HackAl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice sought: 91 Westy Reply with quote

In my purchase search, I remember seeing someone installed a small window AC unit under the rear seat which I assume drained through a hole in the floor. The rear seat panel (right side) was modified to accommodate the front of the AC unit. I'm assuming it only ran on AC (110).

I'm looking for the image...

I'd probably accomplish the same result with a small, portable unit that I can remove at any time without modifications. Just not sure where condensation would drain. The sink?

ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice sought: 91 Westy Reply with quote

HackAl wrote:

I'd probably accomplish the same result with a small, portable unit that I can remove at any time without modifications. Just not sure where condensation would drain. The sink?

Yes, this. The other may land you in the "Wall of Shame" thread Laughing . I guess you are just looking at how to stay cool while parked/camping with 110 shore power? I know it's humid over there, so try the portable unit. People also have temporarily mounted 110V box a/c units in the driver or passenger windows. Also, 12v fans sure are nice (I like the rechargeable Ryobi 18v fans). BTW, a 3 window tent is a huge improvement as are tinted windows.

How's your OEM rear a/c while driving? There are significant improvements you can do to that system. If you're going to go through it, don't make the mistake(s) I made. Don't try to go at it component by component $$$ hoping each fix will result in an improvement. It's all or nothing baby!

One quick inexpensive a/c tip (modification Wink ) though... Remove the entire vent box in front of the blowers. Yep, seriously. WAY better airflow throughout the entire van without it. Contact Stephan's Auto Haus in Sacramento for a nice cheap "VW" logo cover for the now exposed blower fans. I'll try to remember to post a photo of mine. It's not at all that it "looks cool"... it simply works much better... "keeping you cool".
HackAl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice sought: 91 Westy Reply with quote

I think VW is getting some ideas from the Wall of Shame...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...p;start=60

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice sought: 91 Westy Reply with quote

ThankYouJerry wrote:

One quick inexpensive a/c tip (modification Wink ) though... Remove the entire vent box in front of the blowers. Yep, seriously. WAY better airflow throughout the entire van without it. Contact Stephan's Auto Haus in Sacramento for a nice cheap "VW" logo cover for the now exposed blower fans. I'll try to remember to post a photo of mine. It's not at all that it "looks cool"... it simply works much better... "keeping you cool".

Would love to see a pic! Thanks.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice sought: 91 Westy Reply with quote

Nice to see the van in your driveway! Very Happy

As for modifications, it's your home on wheels. Make it your own.

jimf909 wrote:
ThankYouJerry wrote:

Would love to see a pic! Thanks.

Pics are in the master plenum removal topic... which you even posted in. Wink
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=424773

How-to guide: http://oldbluesblog.com/files/RemovingthePlenum.pdf .
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: Advice sought: 91 Westy Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:

Pics are in the master plenum removal topic... which you even posted in. Wink
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=424773

How-to guide: http://oldbluesblog.com/files/RemovingthePlenum.pdf .

Great links! Thanks. I just got my a/c working and am considering this mod.

Ha! I just read the thread and it looks like TK spent four years failing to comprehend and being needlessly belligerent while repeatedly contradicting himself. It's quite a time capsule of his negative contributions.

Abscate wrote:

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
zak99B5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice sought: 91 Westy Reply with quote

HackAl wrote:

Question:

There are some decent NYS campgrounds in the Catskills. North-South Lake is nice.

Delaware Gap is a nice spot too, closer to your home. Where in Bergen County are you? My family is from Fairlawn and Elmwood Park.
HackAl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice sought: 91 Westy (update: bought it!) Reply with quote

Thanks Zak. Will check out North-South Lake. Not too far.

We're in Hackensack (Targeted for nuclear annihilation in Superman, The Movie).

HackAl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice sought: 91 Westy (update: bought it!) Reply with quote

Forgot to mention... I'm selling an extra cover that came with the van. Apparently, it was a birthday present and the prior owner didn't have the heart to explain he already had one. So, I have two (and I keep it garaged).

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1916616

Let me know if I'm off on price or if you have something to trade.

djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: Advice sought: 91 Westy (update: bought it!) Reply with quote

HackAl wrote:
Thanks Zak. Will check out North-South Lake. Not too far.

We're in Hackensack (Targeted for nuclear annihilation in Superman, The Movie).

Thanks to Billy Joel I can't say Hackensack, it's always Hackensakyakyak.......
(Yeah, I know it's Cadillac)

Link

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
HackAl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice sought: 91 Westy (update: bought it!) Reply with quote

Here's another song in which Hackensack is mentioned: http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/johnnycash/ivebeeneverywhere.html

Does Mr. Cash mention your town?

Cover sold. Now I can order my pipes. I also ordered a Bentley that I found here. Fun stuff.

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice sought: 91 Westy (update: bought it!) Reply with quote

Fun indeed! Don't be surprised if it keeps you busy for awhile. You'll be chiming in on engine conversion and tire threads soon!

Abscate wrote:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: