Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear Hatch electrical boots?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCSpeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:10 pm    Post subject: Rear Hatch electrical boots? Reply with quote

Hey All,
I have been pondering this for some time but the wet winter we have had up here in the PNW has made this issue more urgent. My rear hatch boot (that houses the wires/rear window pump tubing) on the passenger side is toast and likely allowing for some water to drip in the rear hatch door.

Does anyone have a good idea for a modern replacement (car that they still sell these for?) OR have a good DYI trick to remake some rubber boots that go from the hatch to the body?
I have thought of Grommets and a road bicycle tube with a heat gun but though I would throw this out there to see what other have done to replace or fix this issue.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I appreciate any ideas before I go down the rabbit hole.
Cheers!

He who laughs first has not heard the bad news...
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Hatch electrical boots? Reply with quote

I seem to recall a thread from a couple of years ago that proposed a fix. May take some creative searching to turn it up.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Hatch electrical boots? Reply with quote

I'd be all over that with some large-bore heat shrink tubing...???

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
mackaymanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Hatch electrical boots? Reply with quote

Subaru station wagon tailgate, depends on year.

RCSpeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Hatch electrical boots? Reply with quote

This is what I am talking about...Nice fix MackayManx!
I am assuming you had to take the rear hatch off to drill out the holes to be ovalized?

termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Hatch electrical boots? Reply with quote

There are some more suggestions at the bottom of this thread:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=576425
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Hatch electrical boots? Reply with quote

Get another one of the driver's side bellows and ovalize the hole in the body and hatch to install it there. Looks factory.
RCSpeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Hatch electrical boots? Reply with quote

After looking at MackayManx suggestion with the Subaru rear hatch boots it reminded me of my old (RIP) 85 GTI which had a similar oval grommet shape.

After spending some time browsing some VW sellers I found these replacements (made in germany) for a 74-84 rabbit hatch for $19 a set.

I am going to keep browsing to see what else is out there but if I don't find an ideal match these might be what I settle with.

RCSpeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Hatch electrical boots? Reply with quote

Sorry...forgot the seller link!

This should be the right one

http://www.mk1autohaus.com/Hatch-Defrost-Wire-Grommet-Boot-Set--Left-and-Right_p_8186.html

VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Hatch electrical boots? Reply with quote

I have exactly the same problem ! Thanks for the useful links.
BillM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Hatch electrical boots? Reply with quote

I just dug out a new set I purchased from Van-cafe a couple years back.
The one looks very similar to rabbit mk1

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jmranger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Hatch electrical boots? Reply with quote

There are quite a few threads on this topic, many of them with proposed solutions. Just adding mine, with part numbers.

So it's basically a variation on what teej posted here.
Parts:
- Two 1/2" OD, 3/8" ID grommets. I used P/N 54-817-0 from Mode Electronics
- About 8" of clear water tube, 3/8" OD, 1/4" ID (similar to the Westy's drinking water tube, but different size)
- 12" of 3/8 PVC tubing (ordered from Cycle Terminal, P/N VW-1 10mm)

Notes:
- the 1/4 water tube is inserted into the black PVC tubing (it's a tight fit, WD-40 is your friend)
- purpose of the water tubing: much thicker that the PVC tube, that barely keep its shape if used without "reinforcement", but still flexible enough
- purpose of the black PVC tubing is treefold:
A) visually nicer than the water tubing
B) tighter fit in the grommets - the water tubing was not very tight
C) also replaces the OEM PVC tube that runs inside the van to the connector behind the overhead AC cabinet. Better protection for the wiring, since it no longer has to "jump" from one protecting tube to another.

One BIG caveat: the water tube's ID is too small to run the rear windshield wiper's fluid tube. I only ran the two wiper wires. I haven't used the rear wiper fluid ever, so not a loss in my case. In fact, it's a gain, since otherwise, you have to disassemble significantly more to reach one of the ends of the fluid tube. Since it was already broken in the grommet in my case, I didn't even have to cut it.

One small caveat: the water tube's ID is only marginally large enough to run the two wires with their connector. The female connector is the toughest to run, but it's also a standard one, so it can be cut and replaced. The male one has a latching pin, so it's not obvious to cut and replace. I "fished" both, using a small nylon wire, passing the female one first, and using a heat gun to make the water tube temporarily softer.

Next thing will be to see how long it stays in one piece...

Before:

After:
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Hatch electrical boots? Reply with quote

the left one is available again in repro
https://www.bbt4vw.com/en/catalogue/1-exterior/7-b...mmet-boot/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AtlasShrugged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Hatch electrical boots? Reply with quote

The hard to find rear boot grommet tube part looks very much like part number 531 971 840 for a VW Scirocco. Round ends..long.

https://www.mecatechnic.com/en-GB/protective-gromm...096718.htm

The Scirocco part may be impossible to find too..although it may be available..see the link.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Hatch electrical boots? Reply with quote

For those who were curious. I just purchased the boot from the above link and it looks to be a match(took 1 month to get here). Same length and lines up. I still haven't decided if I want to do this myself or pawn it off to a shop. Right now the gorilla tape seems to be holding up but the boot seems to be disintegrating (the driverside one looks shiny and new still).
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Hatch electrical boots? Reply with quote

The 3d printer thread shows a printed tail light connector boot. Same material would be gold for this hatch boot.
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Hatch electrical boots? Reply with quote

Ya. The material in the one I bought seems similar to what I have on the van right now. I think it would fail the same way mine did. Small stress cracks that eventually just spiderweb everywhere. But if it lasts as long as the original did then shouldn't be a problem any time soon.
blyhigh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Hatch electrical boots? Reply with quote

I just got a replacement from Van Cafe.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: