Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gear Shift Rod Wear?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:23 pm    Post subject: Gear Shift Rod Wear? Reply with quote

I'm getting ready to paint my gear shift rod, and I had a questions about some wear that I noticed.

Is the wear below the ball on the left and right sides of the flat plate (not sure of technical term, I checked Bentley, but couldn't seem to figure it out) normal?

One side is longer than the other, does that affect the function?

Should I replace the gear shift rod?

If it should be replaced, where can I buy one besides used on this site? Does anyone produce a reproduction of the shift rod? Anyone have a suggestion for which one to buy?

Thanks
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Gear Shift Rod Wear? Reply with quote

That ring looks worn down. That is what keeps you from shifting into reverse. Push down on the shifter, that ring drops below the "ramp" on the shifter plate and you grab reverse. With that much wear I bet it feels pretty sloppy. Welder up and you should be good to go.

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Gear Shift Rod Wear? Reply with quote

Spitty1974 wrote:

That is a really nice picture!

I call that the skirt, it should be a circle, but it has two flat areas worn on it. This totally happens, but yours is extremely worn. I bet you could put it in reverse w/o pressing down, and you might accidentally find reverse when you wanted 2nd.
Weld it up, and grind it into a nice circle, and you're good to go.

Make sure you put grease in the ball and socket joint.
glideking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Gear Shift Rod Wear? Reply with quote

It looks like your anti-rotation pin has been hacksawed off too. That or your anti-rattle ball is missing. Put shift lever on your swap meet shopping list.
Kurt
1965 21 Window Restoration Thread (From old photos)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
1963 Panelvan build "Tyvanosaurus Wrecks"
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8351639#8351639
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Gear Shift Rod Wear? Reply with quote

glideking wrote:
Put shift lever on your swap meet shopping list.
Kurt

X2! If you lived in a forsaken island, Cuba comes to mind, a resourceful fellow would have already welded and ground it to shape or just plain made one from scratch! But you are Kalifohnia already. Replace it and be done with it! Cool
Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Gear Shift Rod Wear? Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the information.

Below is a picture of the parts I have. There may be one part to the right of the actual shifter, that is not suppose to be in the mix...I can't remember and Bentley doesn't show it....Any ideas what that is, or what it may have been used for? It was in the bag with all the parts I pulled off the day I removed the shifter. I can't seem to find the pictures I took right now that show the removal process, so I'm perplexed about that part and where it might go.

My bus is an April 1966 production, is it one of the years where things changed a bit? The pin fits into the ball and the hole through the ball seems to have a spring inserted into one half of the hole. Is that normal? From the parts shown, does it appear that something has been sheared off?

Providing I have all the parts, I may give it a go at welding up the skirt as suggested by Clara. Or, if things are missing, or things are sheared off, I may hunt one out at a swap, or by a reproduction. It appears that CIP1 has a shifter kit, but I'm assuming the original stuff is better than what they have available.

Thanks for the help and information. I'm a total novice, and at times when I delve into Bentley, I become more confused. Also, if my best route is to seek one out at a swap meet, I want to make sure I'm looking for the right one for my bus.
glideking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Gear Shift Rod Wear? Reply with quote

The large dish shaped washer is for your brake pedal return spring. That loose pin does not belong in the mix. The shaft with two holes is for your parking brake cables. Time for you to visit again. Original VW shifter for your year are a dime a dozen. Yours has too many problems. I may have some around somewhere.
Kurt
1965 21 Window Restoration Thread (From old photos)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
1963 Panelvan build "Tyvanosaurus Wrecks"
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8351639#8351639
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Krustybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Gear Shift Rod Wear? Reply with quote

The pin goes through the hole in the shifter ball. I've never removed a pin, but I know it shouldn't be a loose fit. I've welded up shifters with the same wear without any problems. If you get another shifter, be aware that 66-67 look the same as earlier bent shifters but are not. They are longer from the pivot point to the ball. Take some good measurements or the old one with you to the swap meet. Here's some good info with pics from the split bus FAQs:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=190619
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Gear Shift Rod Wear? Reply with quote

You are missing the nylon bushing that the little pin goes into on the front of your rod: part 19 here: http://oacdp.org/5867part/359.png You have the latest style rod that pivots in front. That little pin should be attached under your bus on a little hanger.
Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Gear Shift Rod Wear? Reply with quote

Thank you everyone for the information.

I looked on the classified ads and couldn't seem to locate a gear shift rod for my year. I'm going to place a wanted post up, and hope someone has one.

Is it possible to weld in the pin that goes through the ball? Mine slides in and out very easily, and from what you mentioned, it should not move that easily right?

I don't remember seeing any bearing or small steel ball when I disassembled it, nor was it in my pictures. I wonder if it is long gone before I got the bus.

Also, thank you for the diagram, I will order up that bushing piece.

Thanks for info about different size rods.

Worst case scenario I have to buy a reproduction, any suggestions? I checked WW, and they don't seem to have the actual rod for a bus. I think I found it on CP1, but I'm guessing it is a cheaply made overseas part.

Any additional help and information is appreciated.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Gear Shift Rod Wear? Reply with quote

The front shift rod under the bus is reproed, but not the stick in the cab, AFAIK

Most used ones have some wear. Yours is extra worn, but they all have some. Generally ads do not show this part clearly.

You can push the pin back in and peen it over, I've heard. I've installed a stick where the pin will slide out, and once in the ball and socket joint it isn't going anywhere even if it slides out when off the bus.
Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Gear Shift Rod Wear? Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
The front shift rod under the bus is reproed, but not the stick in the cab, AFAIK

Most used ones have some wear. Yours is extra worn, but they all have some. Generally ads do not show this part clearly.

You can push the pin back in and peen it over, I've heard. I've installed a stick where the pin will slide out, and once in the ball and socket joint it isn't going anywhere even if it slides out when off the bus.

Thanks for the info, it's good to know that it can work even with the pin able to slide in and out. Ideally, I would like it to be the way it was originally, and I'm not sure I can peen it back.

Anyone have rod that doesn't have a loose pin laying around? I'm ok with the wear on the skirt because I can weld that up and grind it.

I did find a few places that sell a kit that I believe has the rod I need. Can I assume they are all the same part from China? Anyone pick one of these up, how is the quality?

http://www.texasaircooled.com/catalog/Gear-Shifter-Kit-Bus-Camper-66-74.html

http://www.busdepot.com/211798121e

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Shifter-Repair-Kit-1966-1-2-1974-1-2-Type-2-p/211-798-121e.htm

https://www.airheadparts.com/vintage-vw-parts/shifter-parts/gear-shifter-kit-211798121-e
Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Gear Shift Rod Wear? Reply with quote

Spitty1974 wrote:
Clara wrote:

Thanks for the info, it's good to know that it can work even with the pin able to slide in and out. Ideally, I would like it to be the way it was originally, and I'm not sure I can peen it back.

Anyone have rod that doesn't have a loose pin laying around? I'm ok with the wear on the skirt because I can weld that up and grind it.

I did find a few places that sell a kit that I believe has the rod I need. Can I assume they are all the same part from China? Anyone pick one of these up, how is the quality?

http://www.texasaircooled.com/catalog/Gear-Shifter-Kit-Bus-Camper-66-74.html

http://www.busdepot.com/211798121e

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Shifter-Repair-Kit-1966-1-2-1974-1-2-Type-2-p/211-798-121e.htm

https://www.airheadparts.com/vintage-vw-parts/shifter-parts/gear-shifter-kit-211798121-e

Anyone have any experience with one of these reproductions?
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Gear Shift Rod Wear? Reply with quote

glideking wrote:
The large dish shaped washer is for your brake pedal return spring. That loose pin does not belong in the mix. The shaft with two holes is for your parking brake cables. Time for you to visit again. Original VW shifter for your year are a dime a dozen. Yours has too many problems. I may have some around somewhere.
Kurt

That's not the brake pedal cup - actually, I think his bus being a '66? doesn't use that part at all. That piece looks like it's the top cup for the swing lever kit to me.

When you hunt for a shifter, make sure you find the '66-'67 version which matches the one you have.
Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Gear Shift Rod Wear? Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:
glideking wrote:
Kurt

That's not the brake pedal cup - actually, I think his bus being a '66? doesn't use that part at all. That piece looks like it's the top cup for the swing lever kit to me.

When you hunt for a shifter, make sure you find the '66-'67 version which matches the one you have.

I feel like such an idiot...When you mentioned the top cup for the swing lever, what exactly is that part and where does it go?
Thank you for the help.
Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Gear Shift Rod Wear? Reply with quote

I have a 1966, and I think I have finally found an original gear shifter that will work.

My pin fits in loosely...When I look inside the hole in the ball, I can see what appears to be like a spring. However, there is no spring on the outside. I'm thinking it was sheared off at some point.

Did the shifter on a 1966 originally have a spring around the pin like the one in the photo below?

Thank you for the help.
Spitty

Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Gear Shift Rod Wear? Reply with quote

Anyone have any info on the above stated questions?
Thanks for the help.
Spitty
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Gear Shift Rod Wear? Reply with quote

'66 should have the pin and spring. Put your pin in and see if the mushroom end has a smidge of pressure outward on it. That is all part of the anti-chatter and more direct feel of the lever going into the rod. The pin keeps the lever from spinning around and enhances your wrist and arm motion into helping push the ball into side motion.
Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Gear Shift Rod Wear? Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
'66 should have the pin and spring. Put your pin in and see if the mushroom end has a smidge of pressure outward on it. That is all part of the anti-chatter and more direct feel of the lever going into the rod. The pin keeps the lever from spinning around and enhances your wrist and arm motion into helping push the ball into side motion.

So, the picture I posted with the spring is what it should look like? I have already confirmed that it is the proper length. I know you mention a spring is needed, I just want to confirm, as the one in the picture is the one I'm looking to buy off a member.

Thanks,
Spitty
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Gear Shift Rod Wear? Reply with quote

If the rod is the correct length from the mushroom to the end of the ball then that is correct. The pin and spring are correct. Grease it all, of course.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: