Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fridge relay eliminate?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:12 am    Post subject: Fridge relay eliminate? Reply with quote

Hey all,
So I am in the process of completely revamping my secondary power to accomodate propex, tf 49 and solar, 90 ah battery. I have spent days pouring over every thread on ACR, yandina, surepower separators etc...
Here is my confusion, once I run power from primary to separator to second batt, wire all the camping accessories to a blue seas fuse block, eliminate the dometic fridge for a truck fridge, can I just eliminate the fridge relay altogether? Or is there a reason that is needs to stay in place? If I do eliminate it, what is the best course of action for the remaining wires like the one from dash and alternator etc...?
Thanks in advance
Jason
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chase4food
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Fridge relay eliminate? Reply with quote

candyman wrote:
Hey all,
So I am in the process of completely revamping my secondary power to accomodate propex, tf 49 and solar, 90 ah battery. I have spent days pouring over every thread on ACR, yandina, surepower separators etc...
Here is my confusion, once I run power from primary to separator to second batt, wire all the camping accessories to a blue seas fuse block, eliminate the dometic fridge for a truck fridge, can I just eliminate the fridge relay altogether? Or is there a reason that is needs to stay in place? If I do eliminate it, what is the best course of action for the remaining wires like the one from dash and alternator etc...?
Thanks in advance
Jason

I haven't pour through the electrical diagram of late. The purpose of the Domestic relay is when you are running it off DC - only work when the engine is running. It allow 12V to power the very inffecient 12V toaster heating coil in lieu of heating the thermal siphon refrigeration system with the propane fueled flame. When the alternator is not energized, it prevents the toaster heating element from sucking your battery dry in short order.

Definitely don't need it with the truckfridge. Just disconnect and clean up the wire stubs safely.

what Isolde wants Isolde doesn't always get, 4 I know what is best for her - Liebe macht frei
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Fridge relay eliminate? Reply with quote

Thats basically what I was thinking. I have been using this stock relay for years to run my secondary batt, but as we all know that does a poor job of charging. I get 13.8v at the second batt when engine is running an no load. As soon as I turn on a heater fan or headlights, it runs about 13.1, not near enough. Even though I have solar I still like the alt to do some of the work while driving which is why I am debating the ACR or similar
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mountain1.8t
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Fridge relay eliminate? Reply with quote

No, you don't need it. I unplugged the relay and pulled the wiring out from under the driver's seat, wrapped them up and tucked them neatly under the dash.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Fridge relay eliminate? Reply with quote

The old relay could work ok for charging the aux battery as long as you feed it with a new wire from the starting battery instead of having it share power with everything in the dash. A #10 wire from the starting battery to the relay would do the trick. If you want a heavier wire than that then a relay rated for more amps would be a good idea.

Mark

candyman wrote:
Thats basically what I was thinking. I have been using this stock relay for years to run my secondary batt, but as we all know that does a poor job of charging. I get 13.8v at the second batt when engine is running an no load. As soon as I turn on a heater fan or headlights, it runs about 13.1, not near enough. Even though I have solar I still like the alt to do some of the work while driving which is why I am debating the ACR or similar
chase4food
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Fridge relay eliminate? Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
The old relay could work ok for charging the aux battery as long as you feed it with a new wire from the starting battery instead of having it share power with everything in the dash. A #10 wire from the starting battery to the relay would do the trick. If you want a heavier wire than that then a relay rated for more amps would be a good idea.

Mark

candyman wrote:

Any suggestion of using the puny relay for aux battery recharging will invite attacks from those insist you should invest more money for higher amperage one. There is only one way to fly, with bigger wings. Laughing

Do take notice you said OK.

what Isolde wants Isolde doesn't always get, 4 I know what is best for her - Liebe macht frei
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Fridge relay eliminate? Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:

Mark

candyman wrote:

Thanks for chiming in Mark, I am intrigued on trying to make this relay work better to save some $$. Is it as simple as running the 10 wire from primary b hattery and unhooking the dash stuff at the relay? Im sure I could look this up but lets make today "spoonfeed tuesday" 😀
I get 14.2 at starting batt when running.. That drops to 13.8 at second batt with no load. If I could get 14 at second, I would be happy with that, provided it doesnt melt down 😉
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Fridge relay eliminate? Reply with quote

Yes, all you need to add is a new #10 from starting battery box to the relay. The factory used that same relay for the stock aux battery setup certain models came with and with a wire from the starting battery clamp to the relay under the driver seat.

I would put a fuse at the starting battery end of the new wire, 40 amp or 30 amp.

Mark
chase4food
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Fridge relay eliminate? Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
Yes, all you need to add is a new #10 from starting battery box to the relay. The factory used that same relay for the stock aux battery setup certain models came with and with a wire from the starting battery clamp to the relay under the driver seat.

I would put a fuse at the starting battery end of the new wire, 40 amp or 30 amp.

Mark

Long time ago, shortly after my purchase, I dealt into the Bentley wiring diagram, and discovered the ingenious little relay hiding under the drive seat for the fridge and how the circuit works. As I study the diagram more closely I saw it is used for a aux battery option in some Vanagon, which my Westy didn't come with. That clued me in in replicating a relay circuit for my single aux in the driver seat. Those were the days long before the mega house battery craze.

candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Fridge relay eliminate? Reply with quote

So grass doesnt grow under my feet. Got around to this last night. As per Mark and others advice i ran 10 gauge fused from primary to fridge relay. Then 10 gauge from relay to 90 ah battery under sink cabinet. Charging is now 14.1v at second battery with no load. Lights on 13.8. Lights and heater fan 13.6. Not bad. Happy with this as a charger relay especially since I do not need to run fridge through it any more.
chase4food
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Fridge relay eliminate? Reply with quote

Good to hear you are getting good result. Unless the battery is very depleted charging at high current doesn't last all that long.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: