Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

36hp vs. 40hp Accelerator Cable Sleeves And Springs
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: 36hp vs. 40hp Accelerator Cable Sleeves And Springs Reply with quote

Trying to finalize some details on a March '58 Bus with a stock 36hp engine.
I need to know which accelerator cable sleeve is correct, as well as which spring is correct. Over the years when I've removed them or got them at shows, I've just tossed them in the same bin, so they have become jumbled with 40hp sleeves and springs.
If anyone has a low mileage, documented stock, or known correct set up, I'd appreciate measurements of the sleeve. A good pic or measurement of the spring would help me determine which one to use.
I know which tube is correct, so I'm set on that part.
Thanks for any help.

Sleeve:
The longer one is ~64mm in length.
The shorter one is ~55mm in length.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Spring:
Longer springs are ~140mm in length.
Shorter springs are ~109mm in length.

And as a reference, the 36hp tube is on the bottom.

iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp vs. 40hp Accelerator Cable Sleeves And Springs Reply with quote

where did you lay those parts, on a 80's bathroom rug?

looks like the longer sleeve ( and spring ) would go with the 36 hp based upon the tube.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp vs. 40hp Accelerator Cable Sleeves And Springs Reply with quote

Can't answer your question definitively but I can add that I have used the e brake handle spring in the past as a substitute. It works very well in my slow drag car.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse

Last edited by tasb on Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp vs. 40hp Accelerator Cable Sleeves And Springs Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:
And as a reference, the 36hp tube is on the bottom.

I would assume the longer spring would go on the bottom one with a shorter cup dingus and the shorter spring on the top one with the longer cup dingus

assemble them till the overall assembly is the same length and that's the answer? I dunno, I'm just stalking you cuz you're cute Very Happy

and honestly, I have no clue how all those parts go together Razz

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp vs. 40hp Accelerator Cable Sleeves And Springs Reply with quote

That's Jons signature backdrop. Looks dirtier than it usually does though.
VWsArent4Hippies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp vs. 40hp Accelerator Cable Sleeves And Springs Reply with quote

That's actually his chest that he's using as a backdrop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp vs. 40hp Accelerator Cable Sleeves And Springs Reply with quote

VWsArent4Hippies wrote:
That's actually his chest that he's using as a backdrop

That's one nasty ass rash then.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp vs. 40hp Accelerator Cable Sleeves And Springs Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:

That's one nasty ass rash then.

you don't know jon then Laughing

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
2Pack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp vs. 40hp Accelerator Cable Sleeves And Springs Reply with quote

I measured the sleeve on a 40 hp engine and it is 55 mm long. This engine is stock and is original to my bus. I expect the sleeve has never been replaced, but don't really know. I'll try to get a spring measurement in the next couple of days.

*Edit*
The spring on this same engine is 131 mm long.

Photos:

The upper ends are lined up with the end of the ruler even though it doesn't look like it.

Last edited by 2Pack on Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
faster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp vs. 40hp Accelerator Cable Sleeves And Springs Reply with quote

I'm sure this is no help but on my January 59 which had a 36 horsepower engine in it when purchased had the following. The sleeve is 64 millimeter the spring is 125 millimeter and the tube looks to be the same as the 40 horsepower. Not the original engine but always had a 36 in it so I'm sure it could be all wrong. LOL
2Pack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp vs. 40hp Accelerator Cable Sleeves And Springs Reply with quote

I updated my earlier post to include the measurement of the spring and some photos.

I measured the sleeve on my other 40 hp bus. It is also 55 mm. The spring on this second engine is not original.

I feel like the 55 mm sleeve is pretty likely to be correct for both engines. The spring I'm less confident of. It seems like the spring could easily be swapped out for a longer one if someone had trouble with a sticky throttle cable (like I did myself on the second engine).
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp vs. 40hp Accelerator Cable Sleeves And Springs Reply with quote

Hey Robert and Lance, thanks for the info, most appreciated.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp vs. 40hp Accelerator Cable Sleeves And Springs Reply with quote

I don't know if this helps at all but I can see that I posted about the spring holders in the past and I mentioned that I had a ton of the shorter ones and only 2 of the longer ones.
I was asking the same question as you - which one was 36hp.

At the time I thought the short ones were 36hp as I had tons of 36hp stuff but now I'm not sure that makes sense since maybe 40hp/1500cc holders might be more common?
You decide.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: