Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Auto Trans gave up the ghost
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dorje
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject: Auto Trans gave up the ghost Reply with quote

So I finished up the 2.2 Subaru conversion. The big news now is that the automatic transmission is not shifting past 1st gear. Occasionally I can get it into second by revving the engine, but not reliably.

Dropped the pan. Full of metal shavings. Looks like my clutch bands at least are complete toast. The ATF smells burnt.

And yes, I did just about everything that you're not supposed to do if you want to keep a transaxle in good working order: I overfilled it with ATF (Type F at least), had an old IAC that was stuck open so starting torque was way too high, and I decided it was a great idea to load the van full of firewood and take the direct route up to my house.. something like a 15 degree incline.

So I was stupid, the new powerful engine was too hard to resist, and I burnt it up. What now?

* Get it rebuilt
Buslab recommends a place off Broadway in Oakland, though not with stellar reviews. I hear people say great things about German Transaxle. I'm worried about shipping cost though.

* Rebuild it
1. Time: Will it take a long time for a transmission newbie? I would hate to screw something up, or have to re-drop it 5 or 6 times.
2. Space: I managed to rebuild the Subaru engine on the floor in my garage, but I'm thinking I'll at least need a decent workbench. Good excuse to build one, but wife is starting to ask for time estimates.. she's got me pretty booked up through the summer. And I was hoping for a van trip in there too.
3. Parts: Is there a simple master list of parts needed for rebuild, or is it more like, see what's worn out and order new X?
4. Kids: If it takes a long time with many parts laid out on my (hopefully) workbench, the probability of the 2-year-old coming and grabbing a friction plate or something rises with each day I leave the stuff out there.....

What do you guys think?
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Trans gave up the ghost Reply with quote

I may be an exception, but I didn't have the best luck with my rebuilt GTA auto trans + turbo option (3rd started slipping in less than 1500 miles from new). For another thing, GTA does not warranty their rebuilt auto transmissions if they are bolted to anything other than a stock WBX. Read the fine print.

If I had to do it over again, I'd use the trans shop in Sacramento that Stephan's Auto Haus uses or I'd go with an auto trans from Salim at Country Homes Campers. BTW, Salim also sells a great auto trans cooler (with a fan) as well as 3.73 R&Ps which would be a perfect match for your Subie 2.2. You can buy those items from CHC independently of a trans if you decide to go with a different shop for the rebuild or DIY.
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Auto Trans gave up the ghost Reply with quote

For the "you rebuild it" option, see:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7835491#7835491

kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Auto Trans gave up the ghost Reply with quote

Buy a rebuilt exchange from a reliable builder and get it over with in a day. I wouldn't recommend going with a longer gearset or you will just be right back to where you started with the original WBXer engine as far as tractive effort at lower vehicle speeds and will be putting additional stress on the automatic section of the transaxle.

If you don't replace your final drive section then you should at least have it resealed at this time.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Auto Trans gave up the ghost Reply with quote

Well..... You get HUGE points for brutal honesty..... "I abused it horribly and it broke”.

Now if I were a rebuilder I would shy away from selling you one but what they don't know isn't going to hurt them is it?

These aren't difficult units but care, attention to detail and extreme cleanliness are called for.

Keep us updated!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dorje
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Auto Trans gave up the ghost Reply with quote

Come on, I'm great business for a rebuilder! Wink Although now I'm learning a bit about proper care & feeding for an auto trans.

I really like the sound of "get it over with in a day"! And I figure I have years to mess with longer gearsets and LSDs etc... right now I just want my Westy running.

That place in Sacramento sounds good, maybe close enough to run it out there and save on shipping. I'll call Stephan's Auto Haus and get the recommendation unless you happen to recall the place's name @ThankYouJerry?

Country Home & Campers looks really pro, and yeah their transmission cooler looks great -- though I already went with the GW trans cooler since as a total newbie I was just following whatever Buslab's suggestions were. San Diego might be far to drive though, especially with a monstrosity in the back of the car Smile
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Trans gave up the ghost Reply with quote

you will want one of the hot rodded trannys with Audi parts - you can get that place in Bend to build one IIRC, or you can follow kourt's directions

to drive the Van during the interregnum, put n a working regular unit, then sell it after swapping in the Audi-fied unit

obviously, you'll need some cash up front
dorje
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Trans gave up the ghost Reply with quote

BTW @kourt your Audi rebuild writeup was extremely inspiring, and the only reason I was even considering rebuilding it myself. I even did a search of local salvage yards to see if they had any Audi's of the correct vintage... But yeah, I'm getting an interim trans professionally rebuilt & see how long I can last until making one with Audi internals.

More to the point, I gave back the cherry-picker and the floor jack I was using when doing the engine swap. What's the minimum of tools that I'm going to need to easily drop the transaxle?

I liked the rig with a winch mounted to some 2x4's:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=643378
http://www.harborfreight.com/2000-lb-capacity-geared-winch-5798.html

This doesn't look bad either:
http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb-capacity-engine-support-bar-96524.html

Here we're getting expensive but "adjustable tilt saddle" is sounding nice compared to my last time trying to balance the transmission on a floor jack..
http://www.harborfreight.com/800-lb-Low-Lift-Transmission-Jack-69685.html

Folks are saying any ATV jack makes the job pretty easy.

Is there a secret to getting the transaxle off without dropping the engine? It'd be nice to not have to drain the coolant etc.
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Trans gave up the ghost Reply with quote

it's no secret.
the trans can be easily removed while the engine is supported by a 2x4 and a bungee.
dorje
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Trans gave up the ghost Reply with quote

Bungies and 2x4's.... wow

Last edited by dorje on Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Trans gave up the ghost Reply with quote

dukejones wrote:

That place in Sacramento sounds good, maybe close enough to run it out there and save on shipping. I'll call Stephan's Auto Haus and get the recommendation unless you happen to recall the place's name @ThankYouJerry?

Sorry, I don't recall the name. A quick call to SAH and I'm sure they'll be happy to give you the name and #.
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Trans gave up the ghost Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
you will want one of the hot rodded trannys with Audi parts - you can get that place in Bend to build one IIRC, or you can follow kourt's directions

to drive the Van during the interregnum, put n a working regular unit, then sell it after swapping in the Audi-fied unit

obviously, you'll need some cash up front

Honestly, "dukejones" probably doesn't need Audi guts to make for a reliable auto trans in his Subie 2.2 (although it couldn't hurt). And for the record (as I stated in my first post above)... it was "that place in Bend" (AKA GTA) that built my auto trans with Audi guts that failed in under 1500 miles. GTA's policy is, "No warranty if mated to anything but a stock WBX engine" (including their "turbo trans").

When I originally was talking with GTA about rebuilding my auto trans for my 1.8T engine in an email they pitched me with:

"Oh and I don’t recall if I mentioned our rebuilt units do come with a 2yr unlimited mile warranty."

And on their website it states:

"This unit comes with a 2year/24,000 mile warranty that is the best in the industry."

But when you download their warranty pdf on their website it clearly states:

Exclusions. GTA does not warrant units used in non-stock vehicles, or with non-stock engines, or when used in commercial applications. GTA does not warrant this unit unless full synthetic ATF and BG Ultra Guard gear oil (when applicable) are used. We do not warrant units damaged by overheating, improper installation, improper maintenance, negligence, abuse, vehicle computer fault, or accident. A re-learn or replacement of the Transmission Control Module is required when installing one of our automatic units for this warranty to remain in effect. VW EuroVan transaxles only–must use our aftermarket cooler for the warranty to apply. GTA does not warrant automatic units that do not have coolers installed at time of installation. External factors that lead to overheated units void the warranty. External factors include without limitation improper flushing of oil cooler and / or seal failures resulting in loss of fluids. Failure to obtain GTA’s written pre-approval for any warranty work voids this warranty. If you feel, smell or hear anything abnormal with your vehicle, stop driving and immediately tow to a shop for inspection! Any continued driving of the vehicle voids this warranty. Normal maintenance, such as checking and maintaining oil levels, is beyond our control, and is the responsibility of the customer. Failure to perform normal maintenance voids our warranty. At a minimum normal maintenance requires the 1st service of your transmission at 15,000 miles from installation, and every 30,000 miles thereafter. You must present professional service and maintenance records at time of claim for warranty work.

Last edited by ThankYouJerry on Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:39 pm; edited 3 times in total
dorje
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Trans gave up the ghost Reply with quote

So the place Stephan's uses is Pro Built Transmission in Sacramento, said $2200 P&L.

Sounding pretty good, plotting to secretly buy a core, do a Audi rebuild, and sell the stock rebuilt transmission......! Very Happy 'Course there are plenty of van projects that may take precedence, like that aux battery, decent interior lighting.....

Looking at getting a used ATV jack now.

Last edited by dorje on Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Trans gave up the ghost Reply with quote

^^^ Good choice. Let us know how it turns out!
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Trans gave up the ghost Reply with quote

Quick question, HOW IS YOUR THROTTLE CABLE/PEDAL HOOKED UP to the THROTTLE BODY & TRANSMISSION RELAY LEVER? what did you do to make it all work properly. the AT relay lever must move with throttle movement to not overly slip the clutches.

dorje wrote:
So I finished up the 2.2 Subaru conversion. The big news now is that the automatic transmission is not shifting past 1st gear. Occasionally I can get it into second by revving the engine, but not reliably.

What do you guys think?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Trans gave up the ghost Reply with quote

borninabus wrote:
it's no secret.
the trans can be easily removed while the engine is supported by a 2x4 and a bungee.

I use a 2x10 and a bunch of blocks and shims. There is room for improvement in my method though.
chachi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Trans gave up the ghost Reply with quote

for the record, GTA will warranty a WBX built up to a 2.4. or at least that's what they told me. doesn't help you subaru guys but they're giving us a warranty on our RJE 2.3. we'd already bought ours and delivered it to walla walla before i started hearing horror stories about GTA and non-stock engines and am now appropriately nervous. but every time i talk to them i make sure, for the umpteenth time that we do have that magic warranty. they always say yes, sooooo...
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Trans gave up the ghost Reply with quote

chachi wrote:
for the record, GTA will warranty a WBX built up to a 2.4. or at least that's what they told me. doesn't help you subaru guys but they're giving us a warranty on our RJE 2.3. we'd already bought ours and delivered it to walla walla before i started hearing horror stories about GTA and non-stock engines and am now appropriately nervous. but every time i talk to them i make sure, for the umpteenth time that we do have that magic warranty. they always say yes, sooooo...

Four words... GET IT IN WRITING!
dorje
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Trans gave up the ghost Reply with quote

To answer @danfromsyr's question, I'm using Burley's throttle conversion kit so I can use the stock VW throttle cable and kickdown lever.

http://burleysmotorsports.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=4

(It doesn't mention it anywhere on the internet but you have to cut the firewall a bit to get it to fit, so if you use that kit try to do that before you mount the engine, unlike me.)

Curious, what would I look for to make sure everything is adjusted properly? Is it described in the Bentley?

danfromsyr wrote:
Quick question, HOW IS YOUR THROTTLE CABLE/PEDAL HOOKED UP to the THROTTLE BODY & TRANSMISSION RELAY LEVER? what did you do to make it all work properly. the AT relay lever must move with throttle movement to not overly slip the clutches.

dorje wrote:

What do you guys think?
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Trans gave up the ghost Reply with quote

the effect of the throttle connection to the AT input relay lever is that it effects when and how the AT shifts. and if not connected at all or installed incorrectly. it can create such soft shifts that you burn the clutches and then more if you don't get it re-mediated in time. it will hold the 1-2 shift till a higher mph, which is a pain in town traffic. we had this oversight with my brothers I5 turbo swap.
procedure is in the Bentley

so you have the kickdown rod hooked from the AT relay lever to the subie throttle body?

I don't see where Burley kit is actually for an automatic,

Quote:
The Burley Motorsports Subaru 2.2 throttle cable conversion kit is easy to install, includes laser cut replacement throttle cam, cable connection hardware and cable bracket. Our custom kit allows for the use of the stock VW throttle cable when installing a 2.2 Subaru engine into a Vanagon. It fits 2WD and Syncro models with stick shift transmission. The advantage of using the stock VW cable is that if the cable should break, a replacement part is easy to get from any VW parts source. As always, we are proud to say that this product is made Burley, right here in the USA!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: