Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone else an A&P mechanic ?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:50 am    Post subject: Anyone else an A&P mechanic ? Reply with quote

Wondering as the pilot post came back up. Sometimes licensed pilots are also licensed mechanics.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else an A&P mechanic ? Reply with quote

believe aeromech is. usually hangs in the bay window forum

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else an A&P mechanic ? Reply with quote

My buddy just did this. He completed his classes at work while on the clock while all the other old union scabs at (insert name of major airplane manufacturer here) just watched netflix and slept when there was no work. He actually took the time to better himself and the company also pays for school.

He makes substantially more than all the other old lazy ass union guys on his team and they're all butt hurt. But nobody can complain, because then it would mean they actually would have to work. Union people are insanely lazy. It's literally amazing anything gets assembled at the factory. Nobody wants to assemble technical parts of a plane, because they don't want to be liable for the "job", so there's like two people doing the hard work and everybody else is climbing over eachother to install the bathroom parts.

Apparently is fairly cheap to own/maintain two seater if you have the A/P. Plus I hear you can build them and then sign off on it that way.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else an A&P mechanic ? Reply with quote

I'm an A&P, or specifically the Canadian equivalent (AME, M2) but have never gotten around to finishing my pilots license, go close to solo a few times but girls/kids/work got in the way.

Funny about Martin's story, a few guys I knew that once worked for a major carrier locally in the early 80's had a running contest over who could stand around and look busy without actually having to open thier toolbox the longest, the record was Thursday Confused

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else an A&P mechanic ? Reply with quote

I'm a licensed pilot and A&P Mechanic. I've been a long time Union member and take offense to the above comments. I'd be happy to continue any conversation you want regarding aviation but I'm outta here if the union bashing continues.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else an A&P mechanic ? Reply with quote

Hey I've been a licensed A-P mech since 1985.I'm nearing the end now my pension was frozen in bankruptcy in 2011 my retirement medical benefits were cancelled as well. It's been an interesting ride to say the least. There is still a need for young mechanics to work in aviation, my advice be willing to travel, don't put down permanent roots and be a good troubleshooter also have a good background in avionics. Here's something to think about the most heavily unionized airline is also the most profitable and in my opinion well managed, its Southwest Airlines and rather than turn this into some sort of discussion about unionism lets drop that and just discuss the many oddities of being a mechanic . Thanks. Very Happy

Last edited by Zundfolge1432 on Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else an A&P mechanic ? Reply with quote

Agreed, my observation was more in regards to the culture at the time, it's no suprise the carrier was in bankruptcy soon after and all the guys telling me these stories were now unemployed, big shops have to be far more efficient now.

Myself I've always stuck to the under 12.5K MGW recip. category and specialized in 1920's to 1950's stuff, the newest machine I maintain now is a 1967 Cherokee. Played with some cool old helicopters while apprenticing as well.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else an A&P mechanic ? Reply with quote

Zund,
I hear you well. I was licensed in 1983 and worked 19 years for a major airline. We have both been put through the ringer. That said, I left aviation in 2005 and for the last 10 years have worked for a CAT company on industrial turbine engines. Day shift, weekends off, all major holidays off, IAM, good benefits, easy job. Do I miss aviation? Absolutely. I dream about the airlines all the time. Since I left I now realize how much it meant to me. It was actually very exciting at times. Plus the challenge of trying to fix a broken plane so you could put butts in the seats and make money was interesting to say the least. I've been on the ramp in Tulsa during a snow storm fixing a broke 737 on the RON. We did and I got to ride jump seat back to CLT which was awesome. Being taxi qualified in a heavy jet was really cool. Working all night to change an engine and then doing the runup and taking it to the gate for the crew and passengers made my day. It's called "winning the battle".

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else an A&P mechanic ? Reply with quote

I seriously doubt that any bankruptcy experienced by an airline was caused by being unionized. In my experience, the union never won with the company. I have several examples to share but I'd rather keep this more on a positive tone.

Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else an A&P mechanic ? Reply with quote

Flying an A320 simulator didn't suck

Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else an A&P mechanic ? Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
I seriously doubt that any bankruptcy experienced by an airline was caused by being unionized. In my experience, the union never won with the company. I have several examples to share but I'd rather keep this more on a positive tone.

Absolutely, things had gotten far too top heavy and an economic downturn didn't help the situation, the problem started in the office but some contractual requirements on the floor made it easier to just give the whole show an enema.

I recall waiting to change planes in Memphis for a BAE 146 ride to Shreveport ~15 years ago when those poor bastards had to swap a wheel assy. at the gate in the 110* southern heat, was that you?, I was thinking "glad it's not me, muah ha ha ha" Very Happy

Слава Україні!
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else an A&P mechanic ? Reply with quote

I actually have a lot of time working on Bae 146 aircraft but I never worked anywhere that was 110 outside. Tampa was a round 95 with 90 percent humidity at times though.

This picture is kinda cool. A Nasa astronaut flew through GSO on the way up the east coast and needed gas. His plane needed an air start so we got called over to start him up. His name was Dave Walker and he had quite a resume.

http://www.jsc.nasa.gov/Bios/htmlbios/walker.html

He was actually a space shuttle pilot and commander with lots of time behind the stick. It was a privilege to meet him and it made me proud to know that our country had men like this in our service. He was the kind of guy that commanded authority. If he said "come on boys, let's charge the hill" I would have been right there with him.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone else an A&P mechanic ? Reply with quote

So here we are standing in front of this nice old DC3 and one of the original planes purchased by the airline. This particular DC3 passed through many owners finally to be used as some type of sprayer for agricultural duty also pest control. When I first saw it you could smell the chemical residue from twenty feet away. A group of pilots located and purchased this plane and Using all volunteer labor spent thousands of hours to restore to its original livery. When this photo was taken it was on for minor maintenance and a polish of the exterior using a buffing wheel and rouge. Again all volunteer labor. The plane is on display down in Ft. Worth Tx. At the C.R. Smith museum.
I'm the guy wearing white coveralls and the photo is from about 2007.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone else an A&P mechanic ? Reply with quote

Google flagship Detroit this thing has its own webpage and is the oldest DC3 in the world still flying. Made in 1937
helowrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else an A&P mechanic ? Reply with quote

I am also an A&P.
As you might guess from the username, I have gravitated to the helicopter side of things.
A&P since 1992.
All manner of fixed wings from Cessnas up to DC8, then moved over to the rotary stuff.
73 914 1.7
12 Passat 2.5 Highway cruiser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else an A&P mechanic ? Reply with quote

Aviation maintenance technician day is a United States day of recognition , observed on May 24, that recognizes the efforts of aviation maintenance professionals as well as the achievements of Charles Edward Taylor , the man who built the engine used to power the airplane of the Wright brothers.

The date May 24th was selected to honor the birth date of Taylor. The day of recognition is currently observed by 45 states in the U.S. On May 24th 2007, a United States House of Representatives resolution supporting the goals and ideals of the National Aviation Technician Day was introduced. Congressman Bob Filner of California was the sponsor of the resolution. On April 30th 2008 the resolution passed by a voice vote.

I'd be willing to bet nobody has ever heard of Charles Taylor all the credit goes to the Wrights, but now you know the rest of the story.
helowrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else an A&P mechanic ? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Aviation maintenance technician day is a United States day of recognition , observed on May 24, that recognizes the efforts of aviation maintenance professionals as well as the achievements of Charles Edward Taylor , the man who built the engine used to power the airplane of the Wright brothers.
When Charles Taylor was given the specifications for a sub-200 lb engine of at least 8hp. He machined the castings himself with only a lathe and a drill press. He also made the crankshaft from solid bar steel, and his finished product was 180lb, and 12hp steady state.
all done in 6 weeks.
73 914 1.7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone else an A&P mechanic ? Reply with quote

helowrench wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:
When Charles Taylor was given the specifications for a sub-200 lb engine of at least 8hp. He machined the castings himself with only a lathe and a drill press. He also made the crankshaft from solid bar steel, and his finished product was 180lb, and 12hp steady state.
all done in 6 weeks.

For years he got no credit. But even now most people have never heard of him and that's too bad. Mechanics that work behind the scenes are invisible to the public and it's still that way.
helowrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else an A&P mechanic ? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
helowrench wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:
all done in 6 weeks.

For years he got no credit. But even now most people have never heard of him and that's too bad. Mechanics that work behind the scenes are invisible to the public and it's still that way.

Yes, that is true.
But, I actually believe that the general mindset of not wanting the recognition, while enjoying the responsibility is what makes us AMTs to begin with.
I enjoy what I do, and that is why I do it.

My favorite job was in HEMS, working with just a few pilots, and one/two birds. constant sense of "mission" throughout, and we actually had a good set of flight nurses.
That was fun. I miss it.
73 914 1.7
minger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone else an A&P mechanic ? Reply with quote

Sorta related: did y'all see a B-29 just got certified and will be flying soon?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: