Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 64 notchback build thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tubbstravis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: My 64 notchback build thread Reply with quote

Anyone have the part number for my front wheel cylinders? Late 64? I'm out of town and I'm wanting to swing by the shop on the way home tomorrow and buy some. I'm going ahead and redoing my drums until I get saved up for discs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: My 64 notchback build thread Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=266697

Which shop?
tubbstravis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: My 64 notchback build thread Reply with quote

Eds in gadsden. I work in Oxford
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: My 64 notchback build thread Reply with quote

You might call them first with the number.
tubbstravis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: My 64 notchback build thread Reply with quote

Update! I worked on the floor all weekend. I got it all cut and in! I have a few more welds to do. Here's what it looks like. I forgot to take a picture after I finished. Here's before I got the last panel in
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
andybla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: My 64 notchback build thread Reply with quote

Good work Applause
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: My 64 notchback build thread Reply with quote

Did you reinstall the rear kick panel that supports the rear seat bottom?

two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tubbstravis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: My 64 notchback build thread Reply with quote

Not just yet. I ran out of time this weekend. The bottom of it is rusted off about an inch. I'll need to fabricate the bottom before I put it back in.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: My 64 notchback build thread Reply with quote

Yeah, you might as well rebuild what you have because you won't find a perfect one to replace it.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tubbstravis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: My 64 notchback build thread Reply with quote

So I am painting my car this weekend, I started last night and it looks super. It is running really well except for the backfiring issue I was having. I have a bad vacuum advance(not really but maybe). When I put my mouth on the vacuum advance line and suck, it advances and does really well. The problem is that the vacuum advance port on the carb seems to not be sucking hard enough. I rebuilt the carb and it is completely clean. The hole for the advance is tiny on the carb through, I am not sure what I need to do. It could be that it is sucking a little but I cant tell and the actual advance is weak, or it could be the advance is fine and that the suction is weak.
tubbstravis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: My 64 notchback build thread Reply with quote

Heres an update! The paint and the clear is done!

tubbstravis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: My 64 notchback build thread Reply with quote

also, I am having a bit of a shifting problem. It shifts very well between 1/2/3/4, but I am having troubles getting it to shift into reverse. I do not know what to do.
tubbstravis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: My 64 notchback build thread Reply with quote

Here is my final paint job. I started to finally do the brakes and I filled up the brake fluid reservoir and the brakes wouldnt bleed. I left the bleeder valves in the back open for hours to let gravity take its toll, but it didnt work. I didnt replace the steel lines that go from the rubber to the cylinders on any of the wheels, I think they are stopped up. the front brakes have bad cylinders and the lines are completely stopped up. Ill need new front lines and steel end pieces in the back hopefully I can fine some replacement cylinders in.

Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: My 64 notchback build thread Reply with quote

If you send your wheel cylinders to Jim Adney, he can rebuild them. If you haven't replaced your rubber flex lines at all four wheels, he has those too. Yours will almost certainly be swelled shut inside.

Have you done anything with your shifter yet?
tubbstravis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: My 64 notchback build thread Reply with quote

Sure did! Got it situated well, it does sound kind of clunky though when I shift. that might just be how it is.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: My 64 notchback build thread Reply with quote

Like we have been telling you - you are not going to find new wheel cylinders. You can rebuild the ones you have with parts from new rears. Even if you find "new" ones that are old and have been sitting, they will need to be rebuilt. The rubber is bad by now
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: My 64 notchback build thread Reply with quote

Donnie strickland wrote:
If you send your wheel cylinders to Jim Adney, he can rebuild them. If you haven't replaced your rubber flex lines at all four wheels, he has those too. Yours will almost certainly be swelled shut inside.

I agree 100%. Send them to Jim for rebuilding. Pedro did that for his T-34 that he just finished, and he's got no complaints.
Also, after 40+ years, I'd definitely replace the rubber hoses. I ran into this problem back in 1989 with what's now my wife's Fastback. The front hoses were almost completely shut closed. In my case, the hoses were causing the brakes to be on all of the time.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: My 64 notchback build thread Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Donnie strickland wrote:

I agree 100%. Send them to Jim for rebuilding. Pedro did that for his T-34 that he just finished, and he's got no complaints.
Also, after 40+ years, I'd definitely replace the rubber hoses. I ran into this problem back in 1989 with what's now my wife's Fastback. The front hoses were almost completely shut closed. In my case, the hoses were causing the brakes to be on all of the time.
Do you have any idea what Jim charges for a set of 4 now?

FU#3
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: My 64 notchback build thread Reply with quote

notchback wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:
Donnie strickland wrote:

I don't, but you can contact him at:
[email protected]
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: My 64 notchback build thread Reply with quote

Donnie strickland wrote:
notchback wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:
Donnie strickland wrote:

I don't, but you can contact him at:
[email protected]

No I don't, but if you contact him, he can give you a price (after the Invasion) on doing them. He's got a price list for some stuff, but I don't think front wheel cylinders was on it. In fact I think Pedro's were the first set he's done, as he was asking some list members questions on them. Jim mostly works on later stuff, but is willing to do early stuff too.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10

Jump to: