Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 64 notchback build thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: My 64 notchback build thread Reply with quote

I'd sandblast it and get as much rust out as I can.
You'll have to fabricate some new patch pieces for what you cut out, as nobody makes those parts for a Notch, and the other body styles don't match the curves. I'd use either 20 gauge or even 22 gauge steel for making my patches.

Nice job on the pan. Very Happy
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
busey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: My 64 notchback build thread Reply with quote

1 yr later. hows it coming along.
tubbstravis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: My 64 notchback build thread Reply with quote

It has been coming along well. I have decided to go withvq
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tubbstravis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: My 64 notchback build thread Reply with quote

It has been coming along well. I have decided to go with a completely stock type 3 style and decided to ditch that hot rody business. I have a guy here locally that has two t-3 cars 69 and 71 I believe that I am going to be able to use as parts cars. Specifically for my back window and my rear apron. I am on the look for a stock t4 motor however but that is the only real excursion from stock. I had a few road blocks but I recently invested in a good 18 cfm Ingersoll Rand air compressor and a multiprocess welder to help me finish up the welding. In the last year I've also picked up a 69 Baja bug and a 69 Cal look bug and I've spent a lot of time driving the car look bug. I'll upload some pictures after I leave work today!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: My 64 notchback build thread Reply with quote

tubbstravis wrote:
It has been coming along well. I have decided to go with a completely stock type 3 style and decided to ditch that hot rody business. I have a guy here locally that has two t-3 cars 69 and 71 I believe that I am going to be able to use as parts cars. Specifically for my back window and my rear apron. I am on the look for a stock t4 motor however but that is the only real excursion from stock. I had a few road blocks but I recently invested in a good 18 cfm Ingersoll Rand air compressor and a multiprocess welder to help me finish up the welding. In the last year I've also picked up a 69 Baja bug and a 69 Cal look bug and I've spent a lot of time driving the car look bug. I'll upload some pictures after I leave work today!

Dancing
busey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: My 64 notchback build thread Reply with quote

tubbstravis wrote:
Quote:

The 2 sides get 2 donuts and 2 metal sleeves that pass thru the donuts, and go into the rear of the pan on the sides (from underneath).

The 2 rubber pads (about 3/16ths inch thick) go between the body and the pan into the holes under the gray covers under the rear seat. If you don't have them installed, you'll have to loosen the body bolts and pry up the body from the pan to get them in place. Note: they go right above the rear subframe to pan bolts (and donuts).

This part is the part that i am struggling with I have the front one good to go. I have the rubber doughnuts that go on top of the sub-frame and on the bottom of the pan where they squish together. After this part is where I am stumped. So you say that there is a metal sleeve that goes in that hole? does a bolt go up from the bottom? Then does another bolt go up from the top? My confusion is how this part attaches to the pan with those mounts and holes being so big. I have a big box of bolts and no pictures from this part.

I do not plan on putting the body back on the pan for a few more weeks because I am just now starting body work on it as soon as I finish the suspension.

here in this pictured I have circled exactly the points that I am having trouble fastening to the pan. (its an old picture before i redid it. only one on the computer)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Anymore pix Question I was really enjoying this build. Hey Tubbs, on those 2 bolt holes you were stuck at, did they end up having 2 bolts coming from the bottom up and also 2 from inside the car going down??
tubbstravis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: My 64 notchback build thread Reply with quote

Hold on tight guys. I made some pretty big progress on my rear window. I split it at the seam and got it out. Here are some pics!
I'm in a pretty hard charge to get my rear window DONE! I'm pretty pleased at how well I was able to get the rear shelf out.

busey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: My 64 notchback build thread Reply with quote

You da man Tubbsy Wubbsy.
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: My 64 notchback build thread Reply with quote

Yes! Way to get after it! Cool
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
tubbstravis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: My 64 notchback build thread Reply with quote

Started the lip replacement today. Still need to do the bend for the lip that the glass will sit on, but I'm not sure how I can bend it because it's not flat to put in the brake

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: My 64 notchback build thread Reply with quote

Nice work Travis. You're probably going to need to do the lip as a 2 piece part. Bend up your lip, the do short slices into the top part so you can get the curved shape.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
tubbstravis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: My 64 notchback build thread Reply with quote

Having some good times with this! I invested in a 3 in one roller, brake, shear and OH MAN talk about speeding me up! Tonight I did more fabrication for the shelf as well as welded in and did most of the grinding on the window portion of the car.

tubbstravis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: My 64 notchback build thread Reply with quote

I worked on the bottom right of the rear window today! For the most part I got it all welded and grinded. Looking good!

T3Yoshi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: My 64 notchback build thread Reply with quote

Nice!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: