Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Another reason for clutch chatter???
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ldj1002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:06 am    Post subject: Another reason for clutch chatter??? Reply with quote

I have clutch chatter and after reading about possible reasons I found bowden tube is OK. Then went under car to check engine and trannie mounts. I noticed one of the lower engine to bell housing nuts is off and the other side the stud is gone. All that is holding engine are to top bolts. Would this cause clutch chatter?

Can I screw a bolt in from outside into where the stud goes?

update, never mind screwing the bolt in where the stud went. I stuck a nail in there and the stud is broke off. Could only get nail 1 3/4" in hole. So I guess out comes the engine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Another reason for clutch chatter??? Reply with quote

yes it can...had a former employee do that once...three will work so check the uppers and tighten the remaining lower....if it still chatters you have more problems....a bolt long enough to thread into the block will hit the side cover on the trans....you might be able to sneak one in if the trans is a 73 and up single sidecover model and the missing bolt is on the side without the cover...of course the stud could be broken off in the block
ldj1002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Another reason for clutch chatter??? Reply with quote

volksworld wrote:
yes it can...had a former employee do that once...three will work so check the uppers and tighten the remaining lower....if it still chatters you have more problems....a bolt long enough to thread into the block will hit the side cover on the trans....you might be able to sneak one in if the trans is a 73 and up single sidecover model and the missing bolt is on the side without the cover...of course the stud could be broken off in the block

OK, so put a nut on the remaining stud just to check if chatter stops. If it stops then that is the problem. Would it be ok to leave it with the one stud broke or remove engine and fix.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Another reason for clutch chatter??? Reply with quote

For peace of mind I remove engine and inspect all of the stuff associated with clutch chatter.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Another reason for clutch chatter??? Reply with quote

X2

If it was mine I would pull the engine, replace the stud and inspect the clutch. It's just a couple of hours of work, then you can have piece of mind.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Another reason for clutch chatter??? Reply with quote

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
ldj1002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Another reason for clutch chatter??? Reply with quote

I found a nut that fit the stud, put it on and tightened it. Guess want? No clutch chatter, it is as smooth as can be. I am going to pull engine to replace the broke off stud.

I have read and read about clutch chatter and not 1 time was loose engine to bell housing mentioned as a cause. Maybe this post will help someone in the future.
Thanks everyone.
Leo
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Another reason for clutch chatter??? Reply with quote

Good.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Another reason for clutch chatter??? Reply with quote

It must have chattered every time you got on and off the accelerator too...you need to get under the car once in awhile,stick your eyes...and a wrench on bolts and nuts...
ldj1002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Another reason for clutch chatter??? Reply with quote

johnnypan wrote:
It must have chattered every time you got on and off the accelerator too...you need to get under the car once in awhile,stick your eyes...and a wrench on bolts and nuts...

No, only taking off in 1st and reverse
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: