Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Guy says it's an 85 Riviera...
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:39 am    Post subject: Guy says it's an 85 Riviera... Reply with quote

Hello unknown world of the Vanagon following!
I am interested in a little clarification, as I am more aware of the Bay Window buses, I couldn’t help but fall in love with a red Vanagon coming back from Colorado this past week.
A little description:
Vanagon is bright red, body is solid no visible rust. Runs well, has a (5) speed manual transmission, and a Riviera pop top. Also the cluster is in KLM/s
From what I gathered ASI ceased manufacturing just before then, causing my confusion. The front headlights are squared, not round. Also know that most manual Vanagons came with a 4 speed, but it has a synchro tranny. What’s up, is this thing Frankstein, a collage of buyer beware, or is it a unique camper begging me to save??
Thanks guys, I look forward to the responses.
Sam
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Guy says its a 85 Riviera... Reply with quote

Here’s a dusty ole picture.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Guy says its a 85 Riviera... Reply with quote

There are some 85 ASI Riviera campers around. I've seen a few.

Mark
uncommonvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Guy says its a 85 Riviera... Reply with quote

If you want to know the model year look in the DS door jamb at eye level. There is a sticker from the factory that says when it was made. It may be a late '85 build with all the '86 features in it?

Some of the things that show it to be a later model like the body side cladding, power mirrors, and square headlights are easily added on later.

Looks worth saving to me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Guy says its a 85 Riviera... Reply with quote

If it's an '85, it's had a lot of work done :
- fiberglass bumpers & body skirt added
- repaint to match above (red not an '85 color)
- power mirrors to match
- rectangle headlights & grille

Some nice bling as well:
- Projekt Zwo lower grille & lights
- sweet rims
(plus syncro drivetrain & 5 speed, as you mentioned)

From this pic, the only clue I see that it <might> be an 85 is the windshield
washer nozzles: both close to the wiper arm indicates 86 or older... <shrug>

Definitely a frankenvan that someone put money into. What engine in there?

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Guy says its a 85 Riviera... Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
If it's an '85, it's had a lot of work done :
- fiberglass bumpers & body skirt added
- repaint to match above (red not an '85 color)
- power mirrors to match
- rectangle headlights & grille

Some nice bling as well:
- Projekt Zwo lower grille & lights
- sweet rims
(plus syncro drivetrain & 5 speed, as you mentioned)

From this pic, the only clue I see that it <might> be an 85 is the windshield
washer nozzles: both close to the wiper arm indicates 86 or older... <shrug>

Definitely a frankenvan that someone put money into. What engine in there?

+1.....washer nozzle location. Pre 86 with a TON of work done to it. Cool van!
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Guy says its a 85 Riviera... Reply with quote

The gentleman is supposed to be sending me a lot of photos in the next day or so. Since being back in Arkansas, I don't have the ability to check it out in person anymore. Here's 900 miles from the house. I haven't seen the inside or driven it myself. I spoke with his wife, and he but with him gone on business, we've only communicated through the phone. Selling for a buddy, said it drives great. Mileage is unknown. Also the year model could be different, he thought it was an 85. The riviera top with the square lights is what's throwing me off. Also the 5 speed transmission. I hope it isn't a thrown together thing, I really dig it.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Guy says its a 85 Riviera... Reply with quote

That 5-speed trans might not be from a Syncro Vanagon, but from an '83 diesel 2WD Vanagon that also used a 5-speed. That's the only U.S. market Vanagon that had such a trans. You can tell by looking at the front end of it whether it's from a Syncro or not. Might want them to get a pic of that for you.
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Guy says its a 85 Riviera... Reply with quote

The speedo is kilometers not MPH, so would that be a metric Canadian/European model?? He never said synchro I just knew they had the 5 speed from factory.
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Guy says its a 85 Riviera... Reply with quote

1985 was the last year ASI made Vanagon campers. I've actually seen quite a few 1985s and even one square headlight 1986 in the Pacific Northwest. They were all built from "conversion wagons" and had chrome hubcaps and vinyl front seats. The 1985s had a different cabinet layout than the earlier models. It looks very Westy inspired, but without the cabinet quality of the Westy.

D
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Guy says its a 85 Riviera... Reply with quote

Where is that, east of Walsenburg Colorado?
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Guy says its a 85 Riviera... Reply with quote

Yes, Gnarl! Spotted it coming back from Gunni last week. Been speaking with a guy named Ron for a few days now.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Guy says its a 85 Riviera... Reply with quote

Yeah, he’s an honest dealer while somewhat of a recluse on his ranch full of old VWs and various junktiques. I don’t know exactly where it is but have heard about him.
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Guy says its a 85 Riviera... Reply with quote

From what I've gathered he's gone a lot with his recovery business. 44 years he said, seemed like a good guy. Beautiful spread they have, and 200 + rides. I saw a few older buses in the back as well as a square back in the front, which looked solid. Gnarl, keep everyone back for me, until I close the deal! Wink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Guy says its a 85 Riviera... Reply with quote

Right, just because he’s on an isolated ranch doesn’t mean he’s ignorant. Be ready to pay market value for a rustfree Vanagon.
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Guy says it's an 85 Riviera... Reply with quote

Well with general knowledge, and with good understanding that the mileage isn’t too high and it does indeed, drive well, what are y’all’s take on it and what would be a good buying price of a 85ish Vanagon?? With all of its sweet additions, of course..I do know that most VW folks around here are bug and splitty people, not many Vanagons down south, at least around me.
Cheers,
Sam
CdnVWJunkie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Guy says it's an 85 Riviera... Reply with quote

If it's the seller I think it is, then I'll wager this is a Euro import. He seems to have Euro VWs for sale quite often and other interesting VWs in the back ground of his photos.

Sam, did you grab the VIN while you were checking it out?
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Guy says it's an 85 Riviera... Reply with quote

Details to be had tomorrow, hopefully. Vin number will tell a lot right? Similar to researching bay's m-codes??
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Guy says it's an 85 Riviera... Reply with quote

More pics of the Unimog 404 too please Wink
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Guy says it's an 85 Riviera... Reply with quote

Whatcha talking about fisher??? That thing isn't Russian!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: