Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rain Deflectors
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
7thing3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 7:29 pm    Post subject: Rain Deflectors Reply with quote

I have a '73 that I stripped down a year ago and had repainted. I do not have any aftermarket ear muffs. I took off the rain deflectors in the engine compartment as part of the repaint job. They are the black trapezoidal looking things on either side that prevent water from coming into the engine compartment. I never put them back on as I don't really take Ted out in the rain intentionally and I figured it would help with engine cooling and carb breathing. Plus if you think of a beetle it has louvers that allow rain to come into the engine compartment due to the slanted aspect of the engine lid and nothing underneath. Any thoughts?

Idea
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I would be concerned about is the neighborhood cat ,or some other unwanted animal getting in there and marking his territory or getting mangled in the fanbelt when you start it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
7thing3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cat would have to be less than an inch wide to get thru. I really don't see how any furry animal could get in there, esp. since it is a vertical surface and it is 3 feet off the ground. The slots aren't much bigger than those of any other aircooled v-dub. Now my wife's '01 Passat Wagon on the other hand was a regular nesting ground for rodents until I patched up my garage sufficiently. Go figure!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bad. I was thinking 74 with the big gaping hole if the muffs are off.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
7thing3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be even uglier than the muffs.

Sorry.
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things look like naked without the muffs. Wink
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't get me started, tim.

I'd put the deflectors back in, just from a "better safe than sorry" standpoint- you may never intend to drive it in the rain, but... . Also they may serve an airflow directional/deflectional purpose. As a matter of fact, this seems like a more likely purpose than rainflow deflection, since the louvers open downward, not upward. I'd hate to see your engine overheat because of impaired cooling airflow, but i am just theorizing on this. anybody else have any thoughts?
Author of Original Rant #1
"It stingd itself to dead... now that is control on you"

2%
7thing3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cooling is the only reason I would put them back in. Any water that got in there would quickly run down thru the tin/seal area and the deflectors are not water tight anyways. Are you saying the deflectors should face down? When I took them off they faced up. I can't imagine how it would improve cooling to add something that partially blocks airflow; although maybe there is some sort of a vacuum or venturi affect or whatever that is beyond me. Plus with dual kadrons sucking air in I figure it is better to have more breathing for cooling and carbs.

I suppose I could do some testing while watching the cylinder head temp gauge doing 60 on the highway with them on and off. Negligible I would guess. The sedan bug guys swap deck lids for the 'vert ones that have more louvers so I would guess more air equals better cooling regardless. Some will say keep it stock.
fathing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 7:54 am    Post subject: water vs. air... this time water wins! Reply with quote

These are water (therefor rain) deflection tins and the opening is towards the top. In the German Parts Catalog they are called Wasserabweisblech. This translates to “water deflection tin”. I don’t know if cooling is affected by it.

Greetings Dom Wink

You have a nice Thing in your driveway. What kind of a roll bar do you have installed?? Can I get pictures?
nthang
Sambassador

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:29 pm    Post subject: Louvers Reply with quote

Without a anatomically correct model of a thing in all its glorious detail and the use of a wind tunnel, one cannot always accurately predict the cooling (or lack thereof) changes made to the Thing. For instance, I added a cover to my engine deck lid. I cut "hooded" vents (like a bug deck lid) into the engine lid. I did it to improve cooling (the new 1915cc was running hot at first). The mods had the effect of making the engine run HOTTER (counter intuitive!). It sucked hot air in from the engine that was wafting away under the car. I now assume the VW did all their homework and the parts are all assembled in the most efficient way for air flow. My 2 cents worth.
7thing3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which brings up the debate about 73 vs. 74, ear muffs, aesthics, and cooling.
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The muffs were installed to help prevent carbon monoxide poisoning when standard bug heater boxes were installed instead of the gas heater.
Without them too much of the exhaust gets sucked into the vents,and they do look better with the muffs! Wink
7thing3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the gas heater definitely rocks! Great heat output.
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They sure do!
7thing3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't imagine the folks who bought Things (any year) thinking they would be good all year cars, at least not around me (Ohio). At this stage of the game most are probably 3 season vehicles and as such either heating system probably suffices. I like mine as it allows me to get an extra month or so of use, plus it is nice in the summer with the top down. When I bought Ted I didn't care if the gas heater worked but now I am so glad it does just for that reason.

I've always said VW heaters work great as long as the temperature is above 40 degrees.
nthang
Sambassador

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 6:11 am    Post subject: heat Reply with quote

Amen on the 74 having a crappy heat design that doesn't fit the bit on days below 40. Heater boxes suck.....they don't provide adequate heat and they are Expensive to deal with, not to mention a road block to most of the headers on the market. Forget the defrost function Sad Next winter I am putting in a good old BN4 and moving on. Tire of fighting a losing battle on this on.
7thing3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you going to use one out of a Thing? If so you will have to cut some large holes. Don't think there is really much room under the rear seat, etc. to mount it.
Big Luni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminds me of when I've been in CA and NM, and people would put a sweater on when it went below 65 degrees! I've been driving (or riding) in my '74, literally since before birth. I've been through 26 New England winters in the same '74 with heater boxes. I am therefore qualified to offer this advice: If you're a little chilly, put on a friggin' coat & gloves. If you're still cold, maybe you should trade your lace panties in for some flannel ones!

You gotta be hardcore to drive a car like The Thing. If it's a little too loud for you, or a little harsh, cold, smelly, etc., than it's time to trade it in for a nice Dodge Caravan or something. I hear the heaters in those are real toasty!
7thing3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"nice Dodge Caravan"

no such thing.
nthang
Sambassador

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 11:55 am    Post subject: Wow Reply with quote

Dude, you are slamming us girlie men pretty hard on this one. I didn't know that one of the goals or requirements to owning a Thing was to suffer! Do you slam your hand in the door before you take off to get in the right frame of mind? I ain't into that. I admit my weakness! I ware long underwear when it dips below 70 f. Have you ever had a pedicure? Long live silk & cashmere!

While were at it, let's go ahead and serve notice that The Thing is many diffenent things to many folks out there. To some its a cheap way to go from a to b (or not to b). Other are into its off road utility. Other like the history. Others slam and drag. Its an art mobile for me. An art car. Make em thing-k is my job. No politics intended. Think, regard, observe, wonder, admire, connect, enjoy. Now I'm bragging: an artist buddy once said: "You know what I like about you, rich, you could be driving the Mercedes (I have a 2000 S500....nice ride, too!) but you always drive the Thing". The thing is me. I ain't poor, rich, or sane. Just a nut who love Things. Done. Sorry if I bored you guys.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: